U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times

Advertisements

why would they need one?

Do you really think that people LIE about being a veteran so they can get a free meal at Golden Corral or a discount at Salvation Army on Wednesdays?

I have never had anyone doubt me. It would be reprehensible for someone to say they were a vet when they were not. However, even the occasional lie isn't going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Less government please.

20yrsinBranson
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 10:53 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,772,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
why would they need one?

Do you really think that people LIE about being a veteran so they can get a free meal at Golden Corral or a discount at Salvation Army on Wednesdays?

I have never had anyone doubt me. It would be reprehensible for someone to say they were a vet when they were not. However, even the occasional lie isn't going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Less government please.

20yrsinBranson
Agree with your overall point...If I were a betting man I'd bet that plenty of people lie at the Golden Corral on veteran's day...

Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,468,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
why would they need one?

Less government please.

20yrsinBranson
Answer to the question in bold (above):
Yes.

Quote:
FOUR OUT OF FIVE WHO CLAIM TO BE Vietnam vets are not.
2,709,918 Americans served in uniform in Vietnam
1,713,823 of those were still alive as of August, 1995 (census figures).
~ During that same Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country was: 9,492,958.
~ As of the August, 2000 Census, the surviving U.S. Vietnam Veteran population estimate was: 1,002,511.
During this Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country was: 13,853,027.

Vietnam War Facts, Viper's Vietnam Veterans Pages

Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
In the county of Saratoga NY they instituted a program called, "Return the Favor" for veterans. This card allows discounts at participating businesses in the area. You are required to bring your discharge record in order for them to issue the card.

http://www.saratogacountyny.gov/departments.asp?did=928

Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,929 times
I have just read through this thread and I have found it to not only be very informative, but perhaps a little harsh in terms of opinions. I am to assume that everyone who is out here has faithfully sacrificed, served and selflessly gave of their time away from love ones and families; thus, having them to sacrifice so much as well! If you are a disable vet I whole heartily concur that unique benefits, cost and expenses should be provided on a more urgent and priority level. However, those that are NOT physically disabled or have NOT been diagnosed with a mental or emotional disability that are veterans should also be provided certain regards. To think something as small as an ID which allows those veterans that are not disabled but have been honorably discharged prior to serving 20 years is clearly not asking for too much given what ALL veterans have endured in service to our country. I have been deployed more than once during the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns and have faithfully served for 11 years. I am NOT staying in for 20 years and would like to be able to proudly provide a veterans ID simply because I earned the right to! I agree with the writer that it is NOT about free lunch although there are a lot of benefits and discounts that I would think everyone could use given the Furlough and Sequestration! Yes, I support both, the bill and the idea of DMV providing the ID and would not mind paying whatever the cost. By the way, I completed the VA application as I think it shall be a great benefit in the long haul but in order to even get the insurance should one desire, you have to meet a financial criteria so completing the application doesn't mean you are going to be able to get an ID. Just thought I would throw that out there as well.
Bless you all and thanks so much for your service and immeasurable sacrifice!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 AM

190 posts, read 309,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
According to the provisions of the bill the issuance of the ID cards is "budget neutral". It will be up to the VA to determine the overall costs of the ID card then it allows the VA to charge that much to recover the costs of the card.

The veteran's, who fit the profile of the bill, won't get their cards for free. The cards will be issued by the VA as a federally recognized military service card (as proven by a person's DD214) then the veteran will pay X amount so the VA can recover the costs.

How much will that be? I have no idea. $15? $20? $25?

To step in a bit on this debate, has anyone ever tried to get a copy of their DD214 once they've lost it? It's a nightmare, at best. If veterans are willing to pay for a card to show proof they are a veteran instead of having to carry around and potentially lose their DD214, then what's the fuss? If they didn't serve, they won't have a DD214 and therefore, no ID Card. I see no reason, if there's no actual expense to the VA, to deny this to veterans. It's actaully a win win for the VA in that if the cards cost $ to make and they charge $$ to veterans, then there's obviously profit so how is that going to hurt the government budgets or our economy?

I've been around the military my entire life and it has been my experience when a veteran is given a "discount" of any kind they are grateful and quite often try to refuse. There are bad apples in every group meaning there are some who will take advantage of a given situation, that's true. Most times, they are not the ones who've honorably served.

Look at the face of veteran, especially those senior veterans, when you tell them, "Thank you for your service!" and you'll be surprised by how taken aback they are for the recognition. All veterans who honorably served should be recognized by whatever means possible, IMO. I'm not a veteran, just the child, grandchild, neice, ex-wife, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, aunt and cousin of many veterans. More importanly, I'm the EVER PROUD CHAMPION AND SUPPORTER OF ALL VETERAN'S PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 AM

190 posts, read 309,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstsealady View Post
i have just read through this thread and i have found it to not only be very informative, but perhaps a little harsh in terms of opinions. I am to assume that everyone who is out here has faithfully sacrificed, served and selflessly gave of their time away from love ones and families; thus, having them to sacrifice so much as well! If you are a disable vet i whole heartily concur that unique benefits, cost and expenses should be provided on a more urgent and priority level. However, those that are not physically disabled or have not been diagnosed with a mental or emotional disability that are veterans should also be provided certain regards. To think something as small as an id which allows those veterans that are not disabled but have been honorably discharged prior to serving 20 years is clearly not asking for too much given what all veterans have endured in service to our country. I have been deployed more than once during the iraq and afghanistan campaigns and have faithfully served for 11 years. I am not staying in for 20 years and would like to be able to proudly provide a veterans id simply because i earned the right to! I agree with the writer that it is not about free lunch although there are a lot of benefits and discounts that i would think everyone could use given the furlough and sequestration! Yes, i support both, the bill and the idea of dmv providing the id and would not mind paying whatever the cost. By the way, i completed the va application as i think it shall be a great benefit in the long haul but in order to even get the insurance should one desire, you have to meet a financial criteria so completing the application doesn't mean you are going to be able to get an id. Just thought i would throw that out there as well.
Bless you all and thanks so much for your service and immeasurable sacrifice!

well said and thank you for your service!!

Last edited by missesthebeaches; 07-15-2013 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Adding a comment

Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 PM

836 posts, read 1,308,186 times
Good idea to get VA card for vet discounts - although I believe Home Depot is now requiring an actual military ID.

Partial list of benefits by state: State Veteran's Benefits | Military.com

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:43 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
although I believe Home Depot is now requiring an actual military ID
My wife uses her Dependent ID Card: DD Form 1172 to get a discount at Home Depot and Lowes.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM

4,705 posts, read 4,819,572 times
As stated multiple times above. Just go to the nearest Department of Veterans Affairs clinic/hospital and get a picture ID. Done.

So the point of the original poster would be in effect a 2nd government program that accomplishes the same thing as already in effect. And even if the bill had passed all would probably still have to go to the VA to obtain the exact same ID card. So what was the point of more legislation?

Most/all of the discounts that some have mentioned require a picture ID - not a piece of paper such as DD214.
Picture ID issued by the US government.

As far as paper DD214. There are many 'fake' veterans out there.

Just read the book:

STOLEN VALOR
by
B.G. Burkett
Glenna Whitley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues