U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:41 PM

8,554 posts, read 5,740,777 times

Advertisements

I would seriously fail at pushups!! Well, I'm female and never did max my pushups in Air Force Guard. We didn't do them in the Marines. But give me sit-ups ANY time! I can bump out 50 situps in a minute any time! I bet he's better at one than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 AM

282 posts, read 215,409 times
Not to beat my own drum....but I'm 73 years young and do 50 military style pushups and 50 modified situps (knees bent, hands clasped on chest) about 5-6 times per week on the average. Used to run 2 miles 3-4 times a week until I developed heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. I really can not understand why some of our youngsters are not in better physical shape. If one passes the military's pre-enlistment medical exam the military should be able to get them into shape. Of course I retried from the military 34 years ago and I know things have changed. But back to the original subject. I think that there may be other things involved. But I hope the person puts their mind and energy into passing. Good luck

Old 09-16-2017, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 227 times
My son recently failed his last chance before graduation and now I don't know where to write to him. Any advice on how to contact him? His last letters took 14 days to reach me, due to hurricane recovery, I'm assuming.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:54 AM

4,545 posts, read 2,166,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The final PT test was done probably 1-1.5 weeks before graduation. Reason being is that it gives them another opportunity for the ones who did not pass to take it again.

I've always thought pushups was the easiest event. It requires little time/space in order to work on them. Requirements for passing are pretty low so I doubt it's a matter of strength. He might need some work on his breathing and technique.

What I've found that works is knock out 40 without stopping, then do 10 and stop to rest, then do 5 and stop to rest, then do them when you can with short rests. I usually average in the mid-70's.
I still have nightmares of the Drill Sergeant counting "one, one, all the way down (censored)head, one, two"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyjpn1 View Post
My son recently failed his last chance before graduation and now I don't know where to write to him. Any advice on how to contact him? His last letters took 14 days to reach me, due to hurricane recovery, I'm assuming.
We do need more information like where is he taking basic training. I would have thought in these days this was all email. I remember a few weeks in the Drill Sergeant pulled me aside and gave me a dime and told me to call my mom. I guess the Army issued post card we got the first day wasn't enough.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:45 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,581,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I still have nightmares of the Drill Sergeant counting "one, one, all the way down (censored)head, one, two"

We do need more information like where is he taking basic training. I would have thought in these days this was all email. I remember a few weeks in the Drill Sergeant pulled me aside and gave me a dime and told me to call my mom. I guess the Army issued post card we got the first day wasn't enough.

I learned early on with that lesson. Like Army_Guy I found the bang out as many pushups as possible before slowing down to be most effective as well. That goes the same for the other event situps. The run well that is another story. Early on the run was my best event.

As for getting in touch no email. You can find out very little but there is a Facebook group for Ft Jackson BCT. I am not sure where all the other BCT locations are any more.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:35 AM

There really is no disappearing into the US Army like the stories about you hiding from your past by joining the French Foreign Legion. Like my Drill Sergeant pulled me out one day as my mother had contacted the chain of command or Chaplain at Fort Knox. I would suggest trying one of those options. I doubt that he has already been chaptered out and returned home

Old 09-16-2017, 08:47 PM

394 posts, read 168,418 times
The problem with push-ups is who does the scoring. PUs can be very subjective. You would think the military could come up with a better test. A run is a given distance in a given time. PUs can vary. The old overhead bars were easily measurable. Sit-ups damage your spine. Also more subjective. I have seen graders score very differently depending on prejudicial factors. Remember the grenade throw? Fireman's carry?

Old 09-16-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
The problem with push-ups is who does the scoring. PUs can be very subjective. You would think the military could come up with a better test. A run is a given distance in a given time. PUs can vary. The old overhead bars were easily measurable. Sit-ups damage your spine. Also more subjective. I have seen graders score very differently depending on prejudicial factors. Remember the grenade throw? Fireman's carry?
My scores miraculously increased from my basic training scores when I joined my unit and we were administering the test. No more "one, one, one, all the way down $^!+head, one"

Old 09-16-2017, 09:13 PM

278 posts, read 58,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner22 View Post
My son failed his Army PT test (pushups) and will not get to go to graduation (which I understand.) He told me he will go someplace else on base and work on the fitness part. Once he passes, he will go straight to AIT. How many tries will he get or how long will they keep him, or at what point do they release him?
Back in my Army days (late 60s) the remedial PT company was a full 8 week cycle so graduation from it would coincide with graduation of other basic training cycles.

The remedial PT company was affectionately known as F-Troop.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:39 PM

3,761 posts, read 3,705,662 times
We only had 7 pass all phases of the final PT test. Out of about 50. I was one of them and I ain't no PT person.
All graduated though.

Different time. Different war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues