U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 24,781 times

Advertisements

My son failed his Army PT test (pushups) and will not get to go to graduation (which I understand.) He told me he will go someplace else on base and work on the fitness part. Once he passes, he will go straight to AIT. How many tries will he get or how long will they keep him, or at what point do they release him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:17 AM

8,726 posts, read 13,671,714 times
I'm surprised he wasn't given a second chance before graduation. You used to get three attempts, IIRC. Again, IIRC, according to the regs it is up to the unit to determine how much time they will put into him/when they think he is ready.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 AM

Location: somewhere on I-35 in-between Austin and San Antonio
284 posts, read 307,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner22 View Post
My son failed his Army PT test (pushups) and will not get to go to graduation (which I understand.) He told me he will go someplace else on base and work on the fitness part. Once he passes, he will go straight to AIT. How many tries will he get or how long will they keep him, or at what point do they release him?
He should have several tries. I'm not sure how things work these days, but I went through Army Basic Training in 2002 and soldiers who could not pass the PT Test were sent to the Physical Training Battalion (PTB). When I went through Basic Training, PT failure soldiers normally had a few weeks to get in shape and pass the test or they were booted (given an intial entry separation) Again, he should have several attempts. The Army has already spent tens of thousands of dollars on your son (training, food, lodging, uniforms, transportation) so it is in the Army's best interest to send him on to AIT, if at all possible.

After he passes the PT test it all depends on when the next AIT class starts. Because he won't graduate Basic Training on schedule, he probably won't be able to attend the AIT class dates that were initially selected for him. If the next AIT class for his MOS starts within a week or so of him passing the PT test, they will probably send him straight to his AIT unit. However, if the next AIT class for his MOS doesn't start for several weeks he will probably be held at Basic Training and do all kinds of fun, random jobs until he ships out to AIT.

Last edited by bigben1234; 03-31-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 AM

Location: somewhere on I-35 in-between Austin and San Antonio
284 posts, read 307,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'm surprised he wasn't given a second chance before graduation. You used to get three attempts, IIRC. Again, IIRC, according to the regs it is up to the unit to determine how much time they will put into him/when they think he is ready.
He most likely was given several attempts to pass prior to Graduation.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:54 PM

7,175 posts, read 3,725,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
My thought also. That can't be the whole story, whether the OP knows it or not.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:17 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,581,390 times
The final PT test was done probably 1-1.5 weeks before graduation. Reason being is that it gives them another opportunity for the ones who did not pass to take it again.

I've always thought pushups was the easiest event. It requires little time/space in order to work on them. Requirements for passing are pretty low so I doubt it's a matter of strength. He might need some work on his breathing and technique.

What I've found that works is knock out 40 without stopping, then do 10 and stop to rest, then do 5 and stop to rest, then do them when you can with short rests. I usually average in the mid-70's.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:17 PM

8,726 posts, read 13,671,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Undoubtedly correct.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I haven't had much of an opportunity to speak to my son. I've only gotten a little bit of information. Yes, he did have several opportunities to pass prior to graduation. From what I could understand is that he was off by just a couple of push-ups. Just wish I could have found out more as to where he feels he is struggling such as the technique, breathing and how many he gets done without taking a rest. Since he will be going to Physical Training Batallion, will the Army help him with some of his techniques or will he be on his own to figure out the best way to work it out to get the extra few that is needed? I'm having a hard time understanding why he hasn't passed the push-ups as he is pretty fit. Thanks for your replies!

Old 04-01-2015, 04:43 AM

8,554 posts, read 5,740,777 times
Don't worry. He's in good hands. They want him to pass, which is why they're going to work with him on it. He'll be a better soldier for it.

When someone gets set back it often seems like the end of the world when in fact it might be an advantage in the end.

Tell him congrats from an old jarhead when he graduates.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:26 PM

Hey Hunterseat, thank you for your reassurance, I appreciate it! I totally believe they want him to pass and am having a hard time understanding why the push-ups are giving him a hard time, especially the multiple attempts to pass. I'm a firm believer that he'll be a better soldier and that this is happening for a reason, and, in fact might be an advantage that you speak of. As a mom, just hard hanging in there during this time, sending him good vibes and hoping he passes it within this first week. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues