U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do military members have better values and backgrounds than those that did not serve?
No, military members are nearly identical to the general population that didn't serve in the military. 43 66.15%
Yes, military members have better values, even before serving, then the general population that doesn't serve. 16 24.62%
This may have been true decades in the past but not now. 6 9.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:04 PM

4,551 posts, read 8,011,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I said no. Military people are into physically disciplining their kids, and I can't stand for that.
I spent 26 years in the military and didn't see this at all. Why do you feel this is accurate information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:19 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,495,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There is no shortage of scumbags in the armed forces, just as in any other career. Having lousy values doesn't necessarily preclude you from serving, or get you in enough trouble to get you booted, depending on how those values affect your conduct and behavior. There is corruption, crime, unethical behavior, bias, discriminatory behavior, hostile work environment, etc. in the military just as in any other workplace. All workplaces should work to address those who perpetrate, and all do, to an extent, but it still happens...in the military just like anywhere else. Being military doesn't automatically mean you have lofty values. You might, you might not.
I agree with this. You still have the same personalities in the Military, or out of the Military. The only difference is in behavior. The Military gets the behavior it wants by threat of punishment, so for the most part, recruits obey the rules, even if they really don't want to. Its not an automatic morphing machine.

Look closely at the Military. It helps a few adapt to life better, and it gives a few a superiority complex, and they commit crimes because of it. There are a bunch of them in Court now for murdering Iraqi Civilians because they liked Killing people. Look at the atrocious behavior of our Troops at the Abu Gharib Prison, where prisoners where held with no charges, tortured and killed because they "May" be hiding some thing.

There is no difference. You have the same number of whackos out here regardless of what they are members of. The only difference is that we give them guns to play with, whacko or not.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:23 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,495,897 times
Quote:
I said no. Military people are into physically disciplining their kids, and I can't stand for that.
That's shown too much in TV Shows, and does not really reflect reality. The Parents may be stricter in making household rules, but there is no evidence of more physical punishment. I think it the same. Military or not. Its a personality thingy, not a behavior that's learned.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:31 PM

11,778 posts, read 15,801,092 times
No one here has said that having honorably served, or honorably serving, in the military automatically means all soldiers have better values than everyone who weren't soldiers. It simply means that a soldier has sacrificed a significant part of their life in the service of their country.

Why these discussions are becoming so numerous anymore is a mystery but it makes me think we may have the evolution of a new form of "hateism."

Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,481,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
No one here has said that having honorably served, or honorably serving, in the military automatically means all soldiers have better values than everyone who weren't soldiers. It simply means that a soldier has sacrificed a significant part of their life in the service of their country.

Why these discussions are becoming so numerous anymore is a mystery but it makes me think we may have the evolution of a new form of "hateism."
I only see endless worship of the Armed Forces, I see very little legitimate criticism of them let alone hate or disdain for them.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:46 PM

687 posts, read 653,485 times
Vet here. It goes both ways.

Some people make wonderful soldiers who also make wonderful citizens.
Others remain just how they were before they joined, many currently in uniform are a joke.

The correct answer is the 3rd option (yellow).

With social, societal, and cultural decay it is only natural that our military will also decay to the point where there will be systemic institutional problems in keeping with the rest of the institutions here.

People just no longer give a darn, the standards are constantly being lowered, and corruption is more often than not becoming the default choice for those in positions of leadership (not just in the military, but in society at large).

Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 PM

16,496 posts, read 17,539,161 times
Military people are no different than regular people, I have and had many friends in the different branches of the armed forces. They are in no way any different than anyone else. Some of them are in large amounts of debt, financially unstable and living paycheck to paycheck. They have access to some "free" things that the general public doesn't. Some are alcoholics before during and after service. The UCMJ is different than civilian laws and punishment can be swifter and more damaging to a career or person. For example I knew a guy who comitee adultery. Not a huge deal in civilian world but he lost rank, captains mast and I believe may not be able to reenlist.
Some are smart and saw a way to get ahead and are successful now. The things that happen in civilian life happen in/on military bases too. There is a reason there are Military Police and military jails and prisons. And military people get dishonorably discharged too.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 06-01-2015 at 07:31 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 07:04 PM

11,778 posts, read 15,801,092 times
Quote:
I only see endless worship of the Armed Forces, I see very little legitimate criticism of them let alone hate or disdain for them.
Sorry but, as a Vietnam era vet, I strongly disagree on the disdain and I'm sure you mean worship to exaggerate your point? Endless?

Old 06-01-2015, 07:07 PM

8,016 posts, read 8,085,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree with both of these.

The military reflects the population.

The only real differences are:
a small portion of the population are pushed / motivated to go into professional careers and avoid service,
a larger portion of the population falls into criminal behavior which excludes them from service.

In terms of 'values', the military is the same as everyone else. But while we are servicemembers, we are forced by law to a much stricter set of codes / laws.
Both of you are mistaken. A study of military demographics will set you straight.

Demographics of Active Duty U.S. Military | Statistic Brain

US Military Demographics - Business Insider

Since 1995, there has been a slight trend towards enlisted Active Duty members having higher rates of a college education. In the same time period, there was an increase in officers having only a high school diploma.

Department of Defense

Read more: US Military Demographics - Business Insider

Old 06-01-2015, 08:44 PM

17,917 posts, read 9,849,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Both of you are mistaken. A study of military demographics will set you straight.

Demographics of Active Duty U.S. Military | Statistic Brain

US Military Demographics - Business Insider

Since 1995, there has been a slight trend towards enlisted Active Duty members having higher rates of a college education. In the same time period, there was an increase in officers having only a high school diploma.

Department of Defense

Read more: US Military Demographics - Business Insider
I think you have a problem reading your own link. There was no increase whatsoever of "officers having only a high school diploma" shown by that table. I knew a lot of "mustangs"--and all of them had more than a high school diploma. That blurb at the asterisk is the common situation, not the exception, so that it's not truthful to say "there was an increase in officers having only a high school diploma."

With regard to the percentage of enlisted members who have bachelor's degrees, that number is not simply those who enlist with college degrees, but also those who gain bachelor's degrees while in service--sometimes taking nearly all of twenty years to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or