Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 PM

82 posts, read 271,652 times

Advertisements

For those too old to enlist in the armed forces, but still want to work with the military, what are some good civilian career alternatives that will enable one to work directly with our military and assist them in their endeavors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,244,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
For those too old to enlist in the armed forces, but still want to work with the military, what are some good civilian career alternatives that will enable one to work directly with our military and assist them in their endeavors?
Probably contract work if you have a skill, knowledge or experience they can use.

Mostly I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I'm about twice the age for any military-related work unless they need a white-headed target.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:43 PM

13,075 posts, read 20,749,280 times
Quote:
You have to be a little more specific. There are hundreds of thousands of jobs that work for and with defense industries both alongside or just in support of the military. You can be a cook and go do contract food service work on a military base or deployed area; you can be a contractor playing Rambo by providing a specialty skill, or you can be part of a white collar engineering team designing some ultra top secret system. I alone have 50 or so employees at anytime working on defense related projects from an illustrator designing signage all the way to a skilled OPFOR tactician probing weaknesses in our projects.

You can work for ABC Fortune 50 Defense Company washing experimental military aircraft at their facility while interfacing with everyone from an E-1 to an O-9 while talking last night game scores, or you can be the one developing the most advance weapons stealth material every known to man but never see a single military person and they treat you as if your just developing a new underwear material.

You have to decide what you want to do and if it relates to military connections, so be it; if not, you have nothing to be disappointed over.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You have to be a little more specific. There are hundreds of thousands of jobs that work for and with defense industries both alongside or just in support of the military. You can be a cook and go do contract food service work on a military base or deployed area; you can be a contractor playing Rambo by providing a specialty skill, or you can be part of a white collar engineering team designing some ultra top secret system. I alone have 50 or so employees at anytime working on defense related projects from an illustrator designing signage all the way to a skilled OPFOR tactician probing weaknesses in our projects.

You can work for ABC Fortune 50 Defense Company washing experimental military aircraft at their facility while interfacing with everyone from an E-1 to an O-9 while talking last night game scores, or you can be the one developing the most advance weapons stealth material every known to man but never see a single military person and they treat you as if your just developing a new underwear material.

You have to decide what you want to do and if it relates to military connections, so be it; if not, you have nothing to be disappointed over.

I'm a teacher, and would hope to find work in an educational capacity

Old 06-02-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I'm a teacher, and would hope to find work in an educational capacity
The Air Force have (or had) very strong educational programs relating to the specific skill category of each airman. I was a jet aircraft mechanic. All my instructors in the 1960s were enlisted men but I think that has much changed since then.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The Air Force have (or had) very strong educational programs relating to the specific skill category of each airman. I was a jet aircraft mechanic. All my instructors in the 1960s were enlisted men but I think that has much changed since then.

my area of interest is maritime and naval history, I hope the navy has civilian teaching opportunities.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
my area of interest is maritime and naval history, I hope the navy has civilian teaching opportunities.
I'm sure they do. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:49 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,046,067 times
Quote:
I believe the Naval Academy has civilian professors.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:56 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,434,677 times
Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA)

These are all schools operated on military bases both home and abroad. You can apply for teaching positions at any of them. The service academies will take civilian instructors as well, but that's a long shot. Also look into the services ROTC programs as they will have civilians working in those offices at colleges, most are not teaching positions however.

Look at the Army TRADOC poisitons on USAJOBS, there are some instuctor positions open there too. A lot of the positions are highly selective and for high speed low drag skillsets, Cyber Security, Intelligence, etc.

It helps to have a security clearance already for many positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues