Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 05:58 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times

Advertisements

Walk away while you can, she sounds like she is full of crap (and a nut job). Too much stuff doesn't add up, and some of it appears to be outright lies. If you relocate to be near her, you need your head examined. This has "FAIL" written all over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:50 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not plussing for this particular woman, but I think it might be possible for women to be attached Special Ops undercover missions where they use a male/female couple for better mission concealment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRETIRED View Post
They have females and they go on patrols to aid with the afghan women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
But this woman SPECIFICALLY said she was a "Green Beret". Not that she had served WITH Green berets.
To the Army the Green Beret is a hat given to all soldiers, support services and active team members, serving in a Special Forces Group. The distinction is the Special Forces qualification tab. It falls under the gray area of stolen valor as it is possible she shared the operational patrol risk without going through the qualification course,

It would be like Vietnam veterans from pre 1969 long range reconnaissance patrols calling themselves Rangers because the Army decided that Lurps didn't sound right in official communications and re-branded their units as provisional Ranger Companies. The last of which actor/rapper Ice-T served with in Hawaii when the 25th Division was still in its Vietnam configuration in the late 1970s thus describes himself as an Army Ranger. A Ranger tab no, but the unit had the same responsibilities as the other divisions LURPs even if Company F was deactivated in 1971

Old 06-21-2015, 08:56 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
To the Army the Green Beret is a hat given to all soldiers, support services and active team members, serving in a Special Forces Group. The distinction is the Special Forces qualification tab. It falls under the gray area of stolen valor as it is possible she shared the operational patrol risk without going through the qualification course,
That's no longer true. Green Berets are earned and worn by 18-series Soldiers.

Non-SF Soldiers assigned to Special Operations units wear the maroon beret, indicating airborne status.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

It would be like Vietnam veterans from pre 1969 long range reconnaissance patrols calling themselves Rangers because the Army decided that Lurps didn't sound right in official communications and re-branded their units as provisional Ranger Companies. The last of which actor/rapper Ice-T served with in Hawaii when the 25th Division was still in its Vietnam configuration in the late 1970s thus describes himself as an Army Ranger. A Ranger tab no, but the unit had the same responsibilities as the other divisions LURPs even if Company F was deactivated in 1971
She may not have even served at all (or served for a very brief time) and might just be some nut case. This sounds like the most likely scenario.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
So quick tally is 3,427 no's and zero "stay in relationship". Twice you posted replies justify staying with this busy commando who can fly out of state every third weekend. There is nothing more that can be added to change your mind. You requested feedback so buy flowers the next time you travel and best of luck.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:29 PM

38 posts, read 28,713 times
Green Berets are the US Army's Special Forces, a Tier 2 SpecOps outfit. There are no females in Special Forces. To get into the Army's Special Forces, I believe that you have to be Infantry qualified and have gone to either Airborne or Air Assault school. Females do not serve in Special Forces. So, either you misunderstood this woman or she is lying to you.

Another rule of thumb: anyone who tells you they are or were Special Forces, Navy SEALS, etc. is generally lying to you. I have met a few guys I knew served in SpecOps units and A) They never discuss it and B) You likely would never know it, unless you already knew them and knew what to look for. I can't tell you how many fake SEALS and Delta Force guys I have met. All claimed to be "Top Secret" and to have served on "Classified Missions".

If this woman enlisted at 18 and is now 30 and a captain & medical officer, this means that she got at least a nursing degree to make Captain. Where did she find time as an enlistee to get a bachelor's degree?

Ask relevant questions before you make a mistake. I wish you luck.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:22 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavischipolte View Post
Another rule of thumb: anyone who tells you they are or were Special Forces, Navy SEALS, etc. is generally lying to you. I have met a few guys I knew served in SpecOps units and A) They never discuss it and B) You likely would never know it, unless you already knew them and knew what to look for. I can't tell you how many fake SEALS and Delta Force guys I have met. All claimed to be "Top Secret" and to have served on "Classified Missions".
Unless you see them in uniform, but perhaps you meant that with "know what to look for."

True, though, unless you see them in uniform the ones I've known have not mentioned it except in relevant conversation with someone who was also involved in some way.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Green Berets are the US Army's Special Forces, a Tier 2 SpecOps outfit. There are no females in Special Forces. To get into the Army's Special Forces, I believe that you have to be Infantry qualified and have gone to either Airborne or Air Assault school. Females do not serve in Special Forces. So, either you misunderstood this woman or she is lying to you.

If this woman enlisted at 18 and is now 30 and a captain & medical officer, this means that she got at least a nursing degree to make Captain. Where did she find time as an enlistee to get a bachelor's degree?

Ask relevant questions before you make a mistake. I wish you luck.
ROTC scholarship students enlist the day they start the program. I can see the army paying for her nursing degree before she enters active duty. On that career track, she should have made captain years ago. Does the army still discharge officers that are passed over for promotion to field grade three times?

The thing about her being "1.5 years into a board discharge" also makes no sense. Is she in the army or not? If she is, and can manage to make major, she still has 8 years to work on her pension. If not, she's just a poser playing soldier and jerking the guy around.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:46 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Full and fair disclosure: I was NEVER an 18-series. I never even tried or thought about trying. I do, however, know a fair bit about serving in that community as a non-18 series.

Quote:
To get into the Army's Special Forces, I believe that you have to be Infantry qualified
Not accurate. This is a different track than Infantry. The combat arms mindset helps in assessing, but having a specific MOS or branch before moving over isn't required.

Quote:
and have gone to either Airborne or Air Assault school. Females do not serve in Special Forces.
The positions are Airborne, and you must be *willing* to go-but don't need to be qualified before you can volunteer and be assessed. Air Assault has nothing to do with it.

Females cannot become 18-series ('Green Berets'). They may, however, serve in SF Groups as staff and support-e.g. intelligence, chemical, logistics, etc.. As can males, but that service does not make those males Special Forces. It makes them someone serving in an SF Group. That is a critical distinction.

If you are pit crew for a NASCAR driver, you are not 'a NASCAR race car driver.' You are pit crew for that driver. It's still cool, but it's not the same thing. Staff in an SF Group is there to enable the SF Teams to do the cool stuff.

Quote:
Another rule of thumb: anyone who tells you they are or were Special Forces [...] is generally lying to you.
Not accurate to a point. Being an 18-series and being in Special Forces Groups is neither classified nor something you generally need to hide. But not all special operations is Army SF Groups. I can't speak to any of those other types of special operations.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:43 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times
Joined at 18, completed some college and went officer at 20. Did her undergrad in three, that puts her at 23, then immediately enters medschool, now she's 27. Does one year of residency and goes GMO as a SF doc at 28, gets into some bad stuff in the first year and is now limited duty in a Med Board holding pattern, and while on limited duty there is lots of down time (although 1.5 years is near the limit of a med board.

It's possiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues