U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-21-2015, 08:43 AM
 
7,094 posts, read 9,987,605 times
Reputation: 8366

Advertisements

Don't know much about this but stumbled on this and thought I'd post it in case someone wants to get involved.

Protecting the Veterans Pension
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2015, 03:56 PM
 
7,401 posts, read 7,824,735 times
Reputation: 11154
Most veterans and veteran groups are in support of the VA's changes. It doesn't surprise me that a lawyers group is coming out against it with a bit of fear tactics as this will eat into their ability to charge veterans for services that are not necessary. As with many programs, a very small, yet politically influential group of veterans are able to bilk the system at the expense of the majority of veterans; this will correct that. So, they and their lawyers are using some minor fear tactics to make it sound like this is bad Sure its bad for them, but its great for the hundreds of thousands of other veterans who are not so wealthy.

What I find annoying is that if they have so much money, why do they even want to use a program designed for the needy? Is it just because they are veterans they expect to be given things even though they have enough money they can pay for it or have private insurance to pay for this? They are so into the "gimme cause I'm a vet" mode they forget that their taking is hurting every veteran who has a legitimate need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
24,515 posts, read 20,755,067 times
Reputation: 11056
Eligible veterans benefit from the Aid and Attendance pension - Chicago Tribune

Interesting information that maybe you can pass along to a veteran in need. Aid and Attendance Pension discussed, limits of benefits, eligibility Print up the story and hand to an older vet you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 PM
 
Location: The South
3,386 posts, read 2,426,850 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Eligible veterans benefit from the Aid and Attendance pension - Chicago Tribune

Interesting information that maybe you can pass along to a veteran in need. Aid and Attendance Pension discussed, limits of benefits, eligibility Print up the story and hand to an older vet you know.

I have a friend in his 90's, WW2 Navy Vet. He was turned down for the Aid & Attendance Pension (I think that is what he called it, may have been assistance with assisted living expenses) because of this. " For a single veteran, the income limit is less than $15,773/year. " He worked and retired from a big company, so he draws a small pension and SS. Too much income he said he was told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 05:48 AM
 
5,471 posts, read 11,848,897 times
Reputation: 8281
Default VA denies and approves service related death in same letter

I applied for dependent service related death benefits from the VA. They sent a letter and in the first paragraph they deny the claim. In the second paragraph they approve the claim. Huh?

The people working at the VA either are lackadaisical, uneducated or just don't care.

I have other friends who have been denied benefits, one who lost his leg in Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
3,851 posts, read 3,523,745 times
Reputation: 4389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I applied for dependent service related death benefits from the VA. They sent a letter and in the first paragraph they deny the claim. In the second paragraph they approve the claim. Huh?

The people working at the VA either are lackadaisical, uneducated or just don't care.

I have other friends who have been denied benefits, one who lost his leg in Iraq.

I think that the VA needs a shake up. This is in no way meant to disparage the hard workers at the VA hospitals. This is just the bureaucrats that are supposed to be in charge of the system. To deny a soldier benefits after losing a leg in Iraq is disgraceful.

The politicians are also to blame. Take for example a retired veteran who receives retirement pay but is rated at 40% disability. That soldier has two options. One to take the retirement in full, or to take his VA disability (tax free) and lose the equivalent pay from his retirement pay. But if you are 50% or more you get to keep both. How does that work? Just cause a person is 40% or less disabled he has to fund his own disability payments? There is a bill in Congress awaiting the decision to either deny or approve of the change and has been there since 2008.

Yes I know it accounts for a small percentage of the population but we are talking military service members who wrote a check that reads they would sacrifice up to and including their life for the defense of the nation. What a shame to kick those veterans in the arse like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
 
4,172 posts, read 3,040,140 times
Reputation: 7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I applied for dependent service related death benefits from the VA. They sent a letter and in the first paragraph they deny the claim. In the second paragraph they approve the claim. Huh?

The people working at the VA either are lackadaisical, uneducated or just don't care.

I have other friends who have been denied benefits, one who lost his leg in Iraq.
They should get something for the loss of a leg - maybe not 100%. I found this on the WARMS site:


Leg, amputation of:

5163***With defective stump, thigh amputation recommended 60%
5164***Amputation not improvable by prosthesis controlled by natural knee action 60%
5165***At a lower level, permitting prosthesis 40%
5166***Forefoot, amputation proximal to metatarsal bones (more than one-half of metatarsal loss)
40%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
 
7,401 posts, read 7,824,735 times
Reputation: 11154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I applied for dependent service related death benefits from the VA. They sent a letter and in the first paragraph they deny the claim. In the second paragraph they approve the claim. Huh?

The people working at the VA either are lackadaisical, uneducated or just don't care.

I have other friends who have been denied benefits, one who lost his leg in Iraq.
There are several classifications associated with disability compensation claims. So, you actually can get a letter denying you benefits under one section but approving benefits under another section. Most often a claim is denied and approved when multiple claims are filed for the same disability (you did an online claim but also used a VSO, so two claims for the same issue). You also see many claims denied for one condition but approved for a different condition (a lower disability code is denied as a more serious code is approved)

If a Veteran loss their leg while in and due to their military service, there is no way they can be denied. If a legitimate claim for a loss of limb was denied, some serious mistakes have occurred and that Veteran needs a VSO now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:05 PM
 
4,172 posts, read 3,040,140 times
Reputation: 7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
There are several classifications associated with disability compensation claims. So, you actually can get a letter denying you benefits under one section but approving benefits under another section. Most often a claim is denied and approved when multiple claims are filed for the same disability (you did an online claim but also used a VSO, so two claims for the same issue). You also see many claims denied for one condition but approved for a different condition (a lower disability code is denied as a more serious code is approved)

If a Veteran loss their leg while in and due to their military service, there is no way they can be denied. If a legitimate claim for a loss of limb was denied, some serious mistakes have occurred and that Veteran needs a VSO now!
I agree about the leg claim - no way would that be denied. Maybe they thought they would get 100%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top