U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 AM

30,448 posts, read 48,864,817 times

Advertisements

Four years after I retired, we decided to move to Maine to get away from Active Duty military bases. At that time the nearest base was NAS Brunswick. It was a 2 hour drive from our new home. Then a couple years later NAS Brunswick was BRAC'ed.

I realized that during that time I never went there, so I did not require an Active Duty base. We have an Air National Guard base nearby, with a Commissary and Exchange. My Dw worked at the Commissary until she qualified for their pension.

Just keep in mind that any base could be BRAC'ed at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 10:42 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,385,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
If you retired near a based do you feel you reap significant benefits from that? If not, do you feel you made a mistake? Is the base you retired near of the same service?
Any info/discussion on this topic would be fine.
I never felt that I did gain significant benefit from a CONUS base. VA hospitals, yes. and now I am leaning away from that even.

Sams, COSTCO, and Walmarts provide enough shopping opportunities to balance what may be a near the base benefit.

still there are the heartstrings tugged by a base but $ wise and convenience wise, other options are at least equal.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 PM

6,008 posts, read 4,803,727 times
I have an air force base about 30 miles away, but haven't been there in years.

But yeah, I do feel the urge to be close to a base every now and then.

Maybe in a few years. They do allow civilians to live on bases or so i've heard?

Old 04-17-2019, 08:07 PM

4,631 posts, read 8,419,556 times
I retired from the Navy after 26 years and retired near an Air Force Base.

We don't use the base except that we are forced to go there for medical care. If I had it to do over again and could choose I would not retire near an Air Force Base. My time in the military was always finding a way to get things done, the Air Force (at least here) works with a whole different mindset. They do not work quickly and are quick to throw up barriers to getting things done instead of finding ways to solve problems.

You don't know how many times I have driven to the base for healthcare reasons to be turned away because of one issue or the other that could have been easily overcame? These issues are always due to the Air Force making rules that make it harder to get **** done.

Example...they got rid of stickers on military ID cards for base entry and you need to be entered into their computer system. I drive to the base for a medical appointment and told the policy changed and they would not let me on base for my appointment because I was not in their computer system. I explained I don't live or work on base so this is the first I heard of this new policy. Nope, would not accept my retired military ID with sticker and turned me away from my doctors appointment. I had to schedule an appointment three weeks away to get entered into their computer system.

Another example...I picked up my kids prescriptions for years without the need for any ID other than my own. They are in my DEERS profile so we all know they are my kids. I go one time and they say they will only release my kids prescriptions to me if I have a photo copy of their ID card (not supposed to copy government ID cards). Drive home get a photo copy and go back and pick up prescriptions. Next time I go with the photo copy of my kids ID and turned away stating I now need the actual ID card to pick up their prescriptions.

Drive to the base for treatment and the doors are all locked of the medical facility for "training". I drive back two days later all locked upfor "staff picnic". This isn't advertised anywhere as evident by the dozens of people showing up to find the place locked.

If we were not forced to receive medical care on base I would never step foot on an Air Force Base again.

Last edited by LBTRS; 04-17-2019 at 08:26 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 09:55 PM

6,854 posts, read 3,827,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have an air force base about 30 miles away, but haven't been there in years.

But yeah, I do feel the urge to be close to a base every now and then.

Maybe in a few years. They do allow civilians to live on bases or so i've heard?
If they have the room. One of our navigators lives in base housing down in Hawaii. I'm surprised they even have excess housing there. I believe his rent is $2500 a month.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:00 PM

6,854 posts, read 3,827,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Example...they got rid of stickers on military ID cards for base entry and you need to be entered into their computer system. I drive to the base for a medical appointment and told the policy changed and they would not let me on base for my appointment because I was not in their computer system. I explained I don't live or work on base so this is the first I heard of this new policy. Nope, would not accept my retired military ID with sticker and turned me away from my doctors appointment. I had to schedule an appointment three weeks away to get entered into their computer system.
I have never heard of stickers on an ID card. And I have never had any issue going on a military base whatsoever with my retiree ID card. And I'm only going on Air Force bases. I have also never been asked to register into any system to gain access to any Air Force base. I quite frankly have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 PM

4,631 posts, read 8,419,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have never heard of stickers on an ID card. And I have never had any issue going on a military base whatsoever with my retiree ID card. And I'm only going on Air Force bases. I have also never been asked to register into any system to gain access to any Air Force base. I quite frankly have no idea what you're talking about.
Luke Air Force base required registration in their system when they quit accepting just ID cards for base entry. Stickers were on car windshields in the past, not ID's, is what I meant.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 PM

2,956 posts, read 1,675,912 times
Why do you have to go to the base for medical care? Use TRICARE Select.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 AM

730 posts, read 798,716 times
My dad retired from Randolph AFBase in 1975. The Airforce sent him from Alaska to NSA at Fort Meade,Maryland. They wanted him to stay, but said he was tired of the spy game, and hated the east coast.Too many people, it was dirty etc. We came back to Texas because my parents loved the San Antonio area. They would go to the BX and commissary, but also local grocery stores. Medical was i think mainly military. I know they would go to Fort Sam Houston for treatment and clinics. For them , living here was a bonus. They fell in love with the area since he had been stationed at KellyAFBase back at Security service in the 1950s and 60s.

A lot of military people retire here regardless of service branch. Some where born and raised here, and others were stationed here. The area does have a lot to offer, though the heat can be a bit much in the summertime.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:20 AM

24,980 posts, read 40,642,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Why do you have to go to the base for medical care? Use TRICARE Select.
That is what I was thinking/wondering...

I will have to check with the Boss when she gets back from her shopping, visiting, chores etc. I am retired military and we have been using some type of Tricare. Have not used a military medical facility in over 15 years (or so). Has been strictly civilian hospitals..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or