Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:32 AM

37,215 posts, read 60,933,271 times

Advertisements

We drive to an Air National Guard base every other week, my Dw gets cigarettes and booze on-base. Since she retired from the Commissary on-base, she is very familiar with the prices at the Commissary, and maybe once a month she goes to the Commissary when prices are 'right'.

At this base, the gate guards shifted a year ago to using a hand-held scanner to check ID cards.

We have never had any stickers on our ID cards here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 AM

12,046 posts, read 10,172,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is what I was thinking/wondering...

I will have to check with the Boss when she gets back from her shopping, visiting, chores etc. I am retired military and we have been using some type of Tricare. Have not used a military medical facility in over 15 years (or so). Has been strictly civilian hospitals..
wondered about that also - I have Tricare and have never used the base clinic. I thought about it once and then tried to make an appointment - its crazy. So nope - have local doctor. I don't even use the VA.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,157,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Why do you have to go to the base for medical care? Use TRICARE Select.
Because I am on Tricare Prime. I have very little/no out of pocket costs other than the $45 monthly premium. If you are on Tricare Prime they force you to use the MTF if you live within 30 miles of the base.

You guys pay 20% of your costs don't you? I don't pay anything.

Now that my kids are grown I have considered Tricare Select and paying the extra costs to avoid the base (I still have a 19 year old daughter on my insurance).

Old 04-18-2019, 11:37 AM

5,674 posts, read 4,581,309 times
I don’t pay anything if I don’t go though. Sounds like Prime isn’t doing you any favors.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,508,687 times
https://www.tricare.mil/ A lot of informative info, explains a lot (if you know the answers, which are easy to get)...

I have TRICARE For Life https://www.tricare.mil/Plans/HealthPlans/TFL

Old 04-20-2019, 06:42 PM

6,906 posts, read 3,293,382 times
Quote:
That could be a tricky proposition. If your wife's insurance provider finds out you are Tricare eligible they may come back looking for money from you, as Tricare is probably primary and her insurance would be considered secondary. My wife's insurance is subordinate to Tricare since I am the member entitled for Tricare, vs being a dependent on my wife's insurance. I'm guessing the same would apply to you since you are Tricare eligible.
Government workers /retirees have the option for TRICARE or FEHB since both federally run - there is no requirement to have / use TRICARE as primary even if eligible. We are currently NOT on TRICARE although we are eligible. Normally TRICARE is less but my son is 23 and a full tine student so FEHB for family is significantly cheaper than TRICARE + TRICARE young adult (Actually FEHB is cheaper for family than just the TRICARE young adult because GOV picks up 80% even after retire). You can keep FEHB even after 65 but would be kind of silly at that point since TRICARE offers coverage no additional cost. A dependent on FEHB can be on the standard insurance up to 26.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues