U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:36 PM

3,184 posts, read 9,227,803 times

Advertisements

From Air Force Recruiting Regulation AFRSI 36-2001, Conditions that make a person ineligible to join, "Is released from restraint (as defined in paragraph 4.8.7) on
the condition of entering military service where restraint
would be imposed again if applicant did not enter military
service."

You can't join if a judge is making you. It's VOLUNTARY to join, and a judge can't make you join, or it's no longer voluntary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:15 AM

9,962 posts, read 11,815,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Ive heard many stories of people that used to get into trouble with the law when they were young and the Judge gave them a choice of jail / reform school, etc or military.

with todays strict military enlistment standards, can they even do that these days?

I read that actor and former USMC DI LEE R Ermey joined the Marines at age 17 because the judge gave him a choice of Jail or military.
In 1968 there were a number of young men who were given the choice of prison with a felony record or the military.

I met a few and and for the most part they were just young men who made a bad decision, lots of young men make stupid decisions when they are in the late teens, but were able to get their life back on track.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:17 AM

1,913 posts, read 1,810,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
From Air Force Recruiting Regulation AFRSI 36-2001, Conditions that make a person ineligible to join, "Is released from restraint (as defined in paragraph 4.8.7) on
the condition of entering military service where restraint
would be imposed again if applicant did not enter military
service."

You can't join if a judge is making you. It's VOLUNTARY to join, and a judge can't make you join, or it's no longer voluntary.
You're right, the judge couldn't make anyone join the military. However, he can offer a choice, and it's up to the defendant to decide. It was a conditional judgement and at one time it was offered more than people realized. I highly doubt it's done anymore, but I did know a kid in my neighborhood that went this route in the early '80s.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
You're right, the judge couldn't make anyone join the military. However, he can offer a choice, and it's up to the defendant to decide. It was a conditional judgement and at one time it was offered more than people realized. I highly doubt it's done anymore, but I did know a kid in my neighborhood that went this route in the early '80s.
You are missing my point. The judge can't offer a choice. If he or she does, the military will REJECT the applicant. I mean, I suppose the judge can offer it, but the military can no longer accept that person to join, so the person can't fullfill the deal with the judge. If you are offered the choice by a judge, you become inelligble for military service.

One of the core foundations of our military is that it is a VOLUNTEER military. If you are coerced into joining the military by the government (jail or service), then it is not voluntary, it is coerced. The military won't take you. You have to join of your own free will, not to avoid jail.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You are missing my point. The judge can't offer a choice. If he or she does, the military will REJECT the applicant. I mean, I suppose the judge can offer it, but the military can no longer accept that person to join, so the person can't fullfill the deal with the judge. If you are offered the choice by a judge, you become inelligble for military service.

One of the core foundations of our military is that it is a VOLUNTEER military. If you are coerced into joining the military by the government (jail or service), then it is not voluntary, it is coerced. The military won't take you. You have to join of your own free will, not to avoid jail.
I get your point just fine, but you're wrong. It has absolutely happened in the past. It's not some urban legend.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:59 AM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
... It has absolutely happened in the past
Forty years ago.

During the Korean fighting the military was also willing to take men who only had one eye [I know one].

But none of that is this century.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Ive heard many stories of people that used to get into trouble with the law when they were young and the Judge gave them a choice of jail / reform school, etc or military.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Forty years ago.

During the Korean fighting the military was also willing to take men who only had one eye [I know one].

But none of that is this century.
I'm sure it hasn't happened in the last 15 years, (it's a little dramatic to use "century" to prove your point but whatever...it's typical of this forum) but it happened. My example happened just over 30 years ago (which is when I served). Some people in this thread have acted as though it never happened, but it most certainly did. dmarie is or was recently an AF recruiter, but that doesn't mean she knows what was going on 30 years ago.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:40 AM

3,806 posts, read 4,999,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I've always found it ironic that the military wants only the healthiest, best, brightest young people...to be willing to sacrifice their lives

It would make more sense to send broken people out to war rather than sacrificing the best & brightest.
If you can convince all the other nations to do it first...

Old 08-04-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I'm sure it hasn't happened in the last 15 years, (it's a little dramatic to use "century" to prove your point but whatever...it's typical of this forum) but it happened. My example happened just over 30 years ago (which is when I served). Some people in this thread have acted as though it never happened, but it most certainly did. dmarie is or was recently an AF recruiter, but that doesn't mean she knows what was going on 30 years ago.
I know it happened in the past, my point is that it can't happen now. I've had people come into my office to join so they can prove it to the judge so they can get out of jail. People think it can still happen. We have to stop feeding that misconception.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:39 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I've always found it ironic that the military wants only the healthiest, best, brightest young people...to be willing to sacrifice their lives

It would make more sense to send broken people out to war rather than sacrificing the best & brightest.
A. It doesn't make ANY sense to be training "broken people" to perform often complex duties that in many cases require high degrees of technical competence, to attempt to train unhealthy, "untrainable," and not-so-bright individuals in skills that require sharp mental acuity, balanced mental health, critical thinking skills, quick emergency response, complex management tasks, strong leadership, effective problem solving, etc.

B. Military personnel perform in many, many diverse roles, versus whatever your concept of "going out to war" is. It's not a G.I. Joe cartoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or