Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:36 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Ive heard many stories of people that used to get into trouble with the law when they were young and the Judge gave them a choice of jail / reform school, etc or military.

with todays strict military enlistment standards, can they even do that these days?

I read that actor and former USMC DI LEE R Ermey joined the Marines at age 17 because the judge gave him a choice of Jail or military.
No, there are specific regulations that prohibit this these days. After 15 years recruiting for the Navy I can tell you that judges don't even offer this anymore as they know the services can't take them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:50 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Ive heard many stories of people that used to get into trouble with the law when they were young and the Judge gave them a choice of jail / reform school, etc or military.
with todays strict military enlistment standards, can they even do that these days?
I read that actor and former USMC DI LEE R Ermey joined the Marines at age 17 because the judge gave him a choice of Jail or military.
Yes, that used to happen. Here's an except from something I posted in the History forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
In the mid-60's a guy I knew was arrested for drug possession. The judge gave him 3 choices: prison, the Army (and potentially a trip to Vietnam), or the state mental hospital. He chose the hospital, which was at that time home to patients who had lived there for decades. Almost all of them were floridly psychotic, some potentially violent, so he pretended to believe all their ravings and go along with the program. He even let one of them do a tattoo on his leg of an alien who this wild patient believed took him up to the spaceship every night. My friend was there for 6 months. He was 17 at the time.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:32 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I've always found it ironic that the military wants only the healthiest, best, brightest young people...to be willing to sacrifice their lives

It would make more sense to send broken people out to war rather than sacrificing the best & brightest.
A and B

A: It's not the military's job to solve the problems of society but rather, to provide for the defense of the country.

B: Society, solve your own problems instead of pushing them to the border, out of town, out of mind.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:37 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have heard stories about it. But during my career [1976 to 2001] I ever saw it.

What I saw was the opposite. A DUI causes a sailor to lose his security clearances, which led to him being processed out of the Navy.

Too much debt? Your out. Drugs? your gone. non-PC tattoo? bye bye. A girl says you patted her butt, no witnesses, no trial, no evidence or hearings, your history.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have heard stories about it. But during my career [1976 to 2001] I ever saw it.

What I saw was the opposite. A DUI causes a sailor to lose his security clearances, which led to him being processed out of the Navy.

Too much debt? Your out. Drugs? your gone. non-PC tattoo? bye bye. A girl says you patted her butt, no witnesses, no trial, no evidence or hearings, your history.
I had a troop get a DUI in 1997. My colonel and I had to argue the HQ squadron commander long and hard to keep him from pulling her clearances.

Bad thing was...she had just that day gotten notice of a long-awaited promotion and went out that night to celebrate. Of course, she lost that promotion, and we had another long and hard argument for her to keep the stripes she had.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The military moved out of wanting trouble makers long ago. The modern soldier isn't the same as even 20 years ago. The military in Vietnam found themselves with some real people problems on the Vietnam battle field. In this much more technical battle field with many fewer people there is just not room for such people even more so than in civilian life. There is a matter of life and death with such a weak spot. They are not looking for people to go over the wall as in WWI; to put in lightly.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:22 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
I lost a tank driver in 1986 when a background investigation before our turn to transition to the M1 came back with a conviction and probation deal.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:33 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
Quote:

Well young man, today's military only wants the brightest and best blue chip recruits out there, because of the economy and the cut backs, the military can be very choosey which contract they want to select. The day's of judges being recruiters are long gone.

It's a win win situation, where only the best need apply.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I served with three people who had this deal, all were for non-violent, fraud type charges, all enlisted between 1995-98.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I've always found it ironic that the military wants only the healthiest, best, brightest young people...to be willing to sacrifice their lives

It would make more sense to send broken people out to war rather than sacrificing the best & brightest.
Most people in the military will never face any more danger than the average person working in an office or industrial type environment.

Intelligence is needed for many positions, more so today than ever before, operating and maintaining equipment requires intelligent capabilities, especially when given worst case scenarios. Even ground troops, the stereotypical "no need for intelligence to apply", need to be smart enough to maintain and operate the wide array of gear they use, do this under a stressful environment, lead people, and the ability to resort to their own common sense and intelligence when their training does not quite exactly fit the scenario, which probably happens frequently.

The days of grabbing anyone who can stand and hold a gun in a line and shoot it when someone says "fire" are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues