Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,081 times

Advertisements

My fiancé is the captain of the army he’s supposed to retire and November 2017 but he owes a debt. can he still leave the military with his retirement and pay the government as soon as he gets on US soil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 11:46 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguired68 View Post
My fiancé is the captain of the army he’s supposed to retire and November 2017 but he owes a debt. can he still leave the military with his retirement and pay the government as soon as he gets on US soil?
He can retire (if it's actually "retiring" that the Army captain is doing) and the DoD will schedule repayment of the debt out of his retirement pay. It's likely to be a substantial portion of his montly retirement pay.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
Very helpful information! Thanks!!
There are a number of us "double dippers". I am one. For someone wondering if she would have trouble if she were CSRS, have no fear. She can only be FERS. Go for it but be aware you will have to buy your time back. By that I mean. You will need to pay "X" dollars for all of your military years. It will be a pretty penny so be prepared. You can make payments so that isn't as bad but you will pay interest on it as if it were a loan. But each year you buy back is one year off your FERS time towards retirement.

The retirement rules are like this for an immediate retirement.

MRA (minimum retirement age) and 30 years
Age 60 and 25 years
Age 62 and 5 years minimum

There is another called MRA plus 10 but that is very costly and should only consider it under very dire circumstances.

Here is the link to retirement info. You can also use that site to find any answers you might not have got yet.

https://www.opm.gov/retirement-servi...n/eligibility/

Old 11-20-2017, 03:49 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
There are triple dipper. Military, government, and SS. Also Military, private company, and SS. I do not know the particulars, but it can be done.

Power to them if they earned it.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
There are triple dipper. Military, government, and SS. Also Military, private company, and SS. I do not know the particulars, but it can be done.

Military members pay into social security through their working lives like everyone else. That's not "double dipping" any more than it is for a civilian who has both a company pension and social security.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,431,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
It used to be that O4 and above could not draw a pension. The Clinton administration changed it and now anyone can come back to the FERS system.

I personally wish they would go back to the old rule barring O4 and above. I see too much fraudulent hires and revolving door Captains taking GS15 positions they're in no way qualified for.

Most retirees don't opt to buy back their military time unless they're in a very strange situation. I knew one who retired as an e7 and made GS15 step 10 at 61. He's considering buying his mil time back.
"revolving door Captains?" Captains are O-3s, not O-4 or above. Unless you're referring to Navy captains...

Old 11-21-2017, 02:43 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
"revolving door Captains?" Captains are O-3s, not O-4 or above. Unless you're referring to Navy captains...
It's quite obvious I'm talking about Navy Captains.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:49 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
You say double dipping like it's a bad thing.

If you earn two pensions, you deserve two pensions. Why on earth would you have to forfeit one if you want to retire from a different job later down the road?
From people I know the reasons they don't like it are not that they are getting 2 pensions but the fact that they give military retirees GS positions over a veteran that was out in 4 or a civilian. From what I have heard some agencies will make ready made jobs for these high ranking retired folks even though they may not be best qualified but they use their rank and position to feather their new nest before the jump.

Its not like these guys are on USAjobs groveling for positions. I think we will see ALOT of changes in the near future as civilian under employment and job insecurity proliferates.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

The issue is often times they don't earn their initial position in civilian govt, they use their influence from their military rank and position to gain their fed GS seat. THAT is where people take issue.

if some retired lt col or E8 just went on to USAjobs got their 5 points and applied like everyone else I don't think there would be any issues, but that's not what actually happens.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The issue is often times they don't earn their initial position in civilian govt, they use their influence from their military rank and position to gain their fed GS seat. THAT is where people take issue.

if some retired lt col or E8 just went on to USAjobs got their 5 points and applied like everyone else I don't think there would be any issues, but that's not what actually happens.
I had to wait the lawfully required six months after retirement before I could take a government job, and I was, indeed, absolutely qualified for the one I was offered.

(I didn't wind up taking it--within six months I was already hired elsewhere).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues