U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 05:57 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,074,357 times

Advertisements

I donate to USO also and always thought it was for active duty personnel who would get priority to services and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,483,177 times
I understand OP's perspective as well as the other perspective. OP did put in his time with the military, and he does donate to the USO. So I empathize with his disappointment at not being allowed to enjoy the USO inbetween his airport duties. The USO is a comfortable haven.

Hey, why can't such lounges be made for everyone to enjoy? It's only humane. As airports are now, they are definitely not very comfortable for weary travelers.imagine if not only military personnel had their USO, then there could also be civilian havens. Civilians need respite during travel just as much as military people do!

My family & I had to sleep in an airport one night while traveling (on military orders!) from Germany to North Dakota. Oh, a USO would have been nice that night but there was none at that airport.

Absolutely civilians need a lounge with bed & showers too. Why don't airports have this? It's only humane.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 PM

23,601 posts, read 37,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
The question makes sense now that the OP has added USO to the title!
The "OP" did not change the title, I did.

The "OP" appears to not have returned...

The "OP" stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakiah View Post
So is it only for active duty personnel?because I'm in the reserve and I go everyday and today I got denied entrance because I work at the airport. And I frequently donate to the USO

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-19-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 07:12 AM

2,536 posts, read 4,248,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Absolutely civilians need a lounge with bed & showers too. Why don't airports have this? It's only humane.
Because human nature is to buy the cheapest ticket possible.

Someone has to pay for those showers and lounges. Airlines and airports are not in the business of being 'humane', they are in the business of (trying) to make a profit.

If you traveled first class, there's a pile of lounges in every major airport, associated with airlines themselves, you could get into.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:31 PM

3,139 posts, read 4,054,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
OP did put in his time with the military, and he does donate to the USO.
None of us know if he really did "put in" much time more than basic and the follow on school. I have a cousin in the reserves like that, spent 10 weeks at basic and whatever his AIT was. Goes to get all the free meals offered on Veterans day, takes his little brother but the little brother has to pay. It's like he's throwing it in his face.

Donating to the USO doesn't give him the privilege or right of using the facilities. He should be donating because he wants to support their cause, not because he wants to use their facilities.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM

437 posts, read 555,751 times
There is some misleading and incorrect information in this thread.

Although active duty are certainly most likely the primary users of the USO facilities, they are also open and available to retirees and family members with DOD ID cards. I've been retired for almost three years now and have never been turned away from an airport USO facility. USOs are not just for people traveling or orders; they are for any eligible member traveling for either work or leisure. I'm not sure where or how the misconception ever came up that you had to be on active duty and on official travel orders to use a USO.

It seems as though a reservist would also have access to the USO with his or her ID card. Being an airport employee may have something to do with this. It could also be that the OP has worn out their welcome at this particular USO facility, or maybe their supervisor asked the USO staff to cut them off because they spend too much time there instead of working.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 PM

35,311 posts, read 38,036,456 times
Per the USO:

Quote:
The airport centers are in space provided by the airports. We don’t pay rent. So, the centers tend to be on the small side. That’s why our airport centers are open only to military members and their families. It’s not ideal – we’d like everyone to see what we offer – but our mission is to serve active duty troops, and their families, and that’s what we do.

The USO operates about 150 centers around the world. We employ 400 people, most of whom work in the field. That means at any one time in any USO there is usually one paid staff member, augmented by an army of volunteers who make this organization function.

Occasionally, donors who are veterans or military retirees contact us to tell us they couldn’t get into a USO airport facility because they didn’t have an active military ID card. We’ve thought about this a great deal, and as much as we’d like to open the doors to all those who have honorably served their nation and risked their lives for our freedom, we just don’t have the resources. We hope you will understand that we must focus our mission on serving the needs of those who need us most – active duty members of the military and their families. For 70 years, that’s been our mission.
Source: About Our USO Centers | The Official USO Blog

Initially posted in 2010, updated in comments section in 2014.

Via the comments in response to the above entry, it appears that different USO facilities operate with widely varying adherence to the above guidelines, depending on demand, which may be part of the problem.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:06 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,875,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
There is some misleading and incorrect information in this thread.

Although active duty are certainly most likely the primary users of the USO facilities, they are also open and available to retirees and family members with DOD ID cards. I've been retired for almost three years now and have never been turned away from an airport USO facility. USOs are not just for people traveling or orders; they are for any eligible member traveling for either work or leisure. I'm not sure where or how the misconception ever came up that you had to be on active duty and on official travel orders to use a USO.

It seems as though a reservist would also have access to the USO with his or her ID card. Being an airport employee may have something to do with this. It could also be that the OP has worn out their welcome at this particular USO facility, or maybe their supervisor asked the USO staff to cut them off because they spend too much time there instead of working.
I used to volunteer at three different USO locations and we were instructed that only AD & their family members were allowed. The only exceptions were for Retirees that were waiting to greet returning SMs from deployments. We used that one when waiting for our Son to return from the sandbox.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 AM

437 posts, read 555,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I used to volunteer at three different USO locations and we were instructed that only AD & their family members were allowed. The only exceptions were for Retirees that were waiting to greet returning SMs from deployments. We used that one when waiting for our Son to return from the sandbox.
That is very interesting. In the past three years, I've used the USO facilities in Denver, San Francisco, Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, Charlotte, Dallas, Honolulu and Fayetteville, and have never been turned away or even had it hinted to me that I was being allowed in against the rules. I think the busiest center I've seen was Atlanta around the holiday season and while very busy, there were several retirees sitting quietly waiting for their flights. Most of the centers seem to be staffed by retirees so maybe they are enforcing the rules as they see fit?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:00 AM

1,354 posts, read 2,059,991 times
What airport was this at? I utilize many USO places all over southern California as a reservist and have never been denied. I tell them I'm a reservist and no one minds. I even go in and wait there when I'm picking up people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues