U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM

128 posts, read 50,425 times

Advertisements

When I was on active duty and traveling home on leave around Christmastime, the USO's were often crowded with young service members, so definitely no room for a bunch of retirees. But I'm sure they are mostly empty many other times, so a "space available" policy for retirees makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:15 AM

372 posts, read 512,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etta Hasnogoats View Post
I just tried to download the USO App to facilitate rapid sign-in if possible. I am not able to use the App because I am retired.
I just downloaded the app and created an account as a retiree without any issues. If I recall correctly, the account types were member, dependent, and retiree.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:20 AM

372 posts, read 512,853 times
There are also a significant number of USOs on military bases and not just at airports. I have never been turned away at any USO that I've stopped at.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 135 times
I am a retired Navy Chief and volunteer 3 times a week at our USO. As many have stated, USOs are for active and dependents and Reserve/Guard personnel on orders and their dependents.

For Retirees, they are authorized IF space is available. Some military bases can not accommodate retirees as they are way too busy with limited space. The USO at SEATAC has 16,000 active personnel a month plus dependents. I went in to that USO and was told they couldn’t let me in as they were full. That was okay as I know what personnel have priority. At our USO, we have had only 1 time in four years where we turned away a retiree and family and explained why but we asked them to return an hour later. Some retirees have gotten mad when we explain that IF we were full with active duty and guard/reserve personnel, we would have to turn them away. USO policies STATE retirees on a space available basis.

Also veterans who have not retired from service have gotten mad but we show them authorized UD Cards. We hate turning them away but there are at least 24 million veterans and USOs just cannot handle that. They would be out of snacks, food, sodas, etc very quickly.

I hope that personnel realize that USOs receive NO federal funding. We rely on donations from visitors, local businesses who donate to the YSOs and events such as USI Holf tournaments.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:20 PM

10,396 posts, read 7,478,326 times
Thanks, Chief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues