Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 07:49 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times

Advertisements

I put veterans plates on my truck after I retired.

I did it for a couple reasons. Principle among them is when I retired I moved to a somewhat standoffish state whose residents hate transplants-even if they only arrived 30 seconds before you. With the plates and me saying I retired from the Army and moved up here, folks are much friendlier. My state's plates look pretty good as well.

They are vanity plates which denote a field artillery regiment I served in 4 different times for 11 of my 28 years. I spent time in each battalion and it is a well thought of/highly decorated regiment.

because I was feeling cheesy, I got a license plate frame which denotes that I had tax free vacations in Iraq and Afghanistan. This also goes back to point 1-folks are a bit more friendly and are more OK with me moving in.

$15 on Amazon

Whether any of this gets me leniency with the cops, I don't know or really care too much. If I earn a ticket, just give it to me. If you want to be lenient for any reason, I appreciate it. I also haven't been pulled over in a few years. *knocking on wood as we speak

That's about the limits of my advertisement. I'll occasionally wear an old t-shirt for a quick trip to the store and an old unit hat soaked in bug spray for walks in the woods during deer fly season.

At the end of the day I'm pretty proud of the units I've served in, and there is a huge veteran population here so I don't stand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 09:31 AM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times
I have a "military" plate on my vehicle because Texas offers some benefits to having the plate to include no annual registration fees, and free parking at Government ran parking areas. Only once has anyone ever commented on my plate, it was while driving through the Walmart parking lot to park. A guy approached me while I was walking to go in the store. He told me he was getting ready to leave a handicapped parking spot, and I could have it if I wanted. I just thanked him and told he I was good. I didn't bother to tell him my plate did not allow me to park in handicapped spots.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:51 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
It sounds like someone is being a little dramatic.
Not really. She shouldn't have told us that her son had worked at Delta. That makes him a target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues