Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 10:42 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,740 times

Advertisements

Any of you guys got an NROTC scholarship? I'm enlisted right now (actually in DEP; shipping in March to Great Lakes) and I was curious of how you guys got a scholarship. I want to get one for engineering and then serve as a CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Long ago, applied for it in high school (and then again in college when I didn't get it the first time around) as well as an army scholarship and various service academies. I suppose I might have applied for an Air Force one, too.....but as I said, that was long, long ago.

When you say, "serve as a CO", please define what you mean by "CO".

Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Long ago, applied for it in high school (and then again in college when I didn't get it the first time around) as well as an army scholarship and various service academies. I suppose I might have applied for an Air Force one, too.....but as I said, that was long, long ago.

When you say, "serve as a CO", please define what you mean by "CO".
I meant to say Comissioned Officer. But for me, I want to do it while as an enlisted. I enlisted to be in Nuclear Propulsion and was curious if anybody on here managed to get a NROTC scholarship while enlisted.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:21 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
The first service to offer me a scholarship through ROTC was the Navy; I applied in high school, took all the exams and was good-to-go. Except then the Air Force also offered me an AFROTC four-year full ride. And the Air Force did something the Navy did not, they guaranteed me a pilot slot once I was commissioned. The Navy lieutenant I talked with said "Well, you could end up on a sub..." I also applied to the Army.

Like another poster said, it was a long time ago. I did have a couple of prior-enlisted cadets in my ROTC detachment who were on scholarship.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:12 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
I meant to say Comissioned Officer. But for me, I want to do it while as an enlisted.
I initially read it as "I want to be an officer while being enlisted," but I now read it as "I want to be *selected* for a scholarship to become an officer, while I am serving as an enlisted member."

If so, yep, easy, done all the time. Each service runs a number of ROTC detachments; your best bet is contact the recruiting officer at one of those and listen to their advice. If you have pretty solid scores and a good background, you could look into going to a service academy or a prep school directly from the enlisted ranks; a little-known fact is that it is significantly easier to gain admission to West Point from active duty than through the nomination process (still hard, but easier).

Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Well, since you're only in DEP you're not a "fellow Navy Guy" yet. I do commend you on your choice to serve your country and wish you the best of luck on becoming a "fellow Navy Guy", otherwise known as a "Shipmate".

I had many Future Sailors get selected for NROTC Scholarships while in DEP. I was a Navy Recruiting Supervisor for 15 year.

Your NRD has a dedicated person that is a NROTC Recruiter, you need to reach out to that person. Ask your Recruiter for their contact information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues