U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 02:00 PM
3,668 posts, read 1,354,054 times

They say that the reason people have dreams about being back in high school, taking a course that they haven't studied for, is because they feel unprepared for something in reality.

Could that be the same reason that I have dreams that I am about to go out on deployment ....... and I only have one uniform? Do others have similar dreams?

As it goes, I had that dream last night but it seemed I was working more on the problem in the dream. Ie, I arrive at my old duty station, having been once again "recalled" (get to that in a moment), and I'm going through a closet, making sure I have enough uniforms ....... the XO calls me away before I find out whether I do or not.

Later, I'm at a mixer at the O Club and someone swipes my cover. I'm trying to get over to the exchange before anyone takes notice, before it closes, to get a new cover and also thinking I can solve my uniform problems...but before I get there, there is a time shift and I'm in another era.

About being "recalled" in my dreams. They are sort of like the high school dream, where I end up someplace and don't quite remember how I got there, but in these dreams, I've been reactivated for some reason, I'm only there for a short time, and then I'm gone again. (You might say it sounds like reserve duty but I was never on reserve duty aside from middie cruises). Others have commented that my recall dreams are because, perhaps sub consciously, I feel like I left something undone.

So have others that have been in the military, experienced such dreams, perhaps dreams that civilians don't have.....aside from the high school, that is. I think everyone gets those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 06:22 PM
1,926 posts, read 1,313,830 times
I got out in 1960 and for several years I had the recurring dream I was still in.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 AM
472 posts, read 409,668 times
I've never served.But my late father a chief mastersargent used to once in awhile dream that he was in uniform running aaround on his last station,Randolph AFB. Daddy said no one noticed that he was in unifrom, until he ran into someone he used to work with and they would say"Hey you can't be in uniform!". He retired in 1975 and would off an don have this dream. I'm sure there are others who have the same experience as you.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:38 AM
1,834 posts, read 1,016,698 times
I never really thought much about it, but even though I was in the Army for two years, I've never once had a dream about the experience. Must not have been too exciting.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 AM
247 posts, read 117,187 times
Been out almost 30 years but still have this recurring dream that I am still on patrol on a submarine. Happens maybe once a month or so ................ I find my old div officer and try to explain to him there must be some mistake . Its not a bad dream just confounding.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:09 PM
494 posts, read 382,345 times
I sometimes have a dream where I'm floating down as if parachuting (but much slower) but I don't seem to reach the ground...

After a while I'll look up to check the canopy and it'll not be there. That's when I wake up. It's not an all night kind of dream, seems to be one I get when napping for 15/30mins or so. The waking coincides with my being nudged/called/jolted or something like that. I'll look up just as I wake and it happens more when deployed than at home.

Had it for the last 5 yrs I think, maybe once every couple of months.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 PM
2,020 posts, read 3,266,306 times
Never really had dreams about Iraq, but I always had the "your paperwork was messed up, you gotta go back to basic" dream. I HATED basic, so that's probs why.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:20 PM
511 posts, read 555,716 times
In the past few years, I have had dreams about being back on active duty at least 2-3 times a year. I think it correlated to what was going on in my life at the time. Weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues