Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 10:45 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
To receive VA education benefits and services through the Montgomery GI Bill program or Post-9/11 GI Bill program, the Veteran’s character of discharge or service must be honorable.

To receive VA education benefits and services through any other VA educational benefits program, including the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program, the Veteran’s character of discharge or service must be under other than dishonorable conditions (e.g., honorable, under honorable conditions, general).

Most veterans today are going to come under the Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill, meaning no benefits unless you have a straight out honorable discharge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 11:43 PM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiChrisDA View Post
Hello, friends. To put simply I was chaptered in 2011 after three years of service after being arrested for a DWI. Other than that my record was clean and has been clean since. I also receive 70% service connection for psychiatric issues that began to manifest during my deployment and receive mental healthcare at the VA.

So my question, given the factors involved is it still possible to apply and recieve the G.I. Bill?
What type of discharge is required to qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Normally, an HONORABLE discharge is required to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. However the following types of discharge may also qualify you for the Post-9/11 GI BIll:

a medical condition which preexisted service and is not service-connected
a hardship
a physical or mental condidtion not characterized as a disability and did not result from willful misconduct but did interfere with the performance of duty

https://gibill.custhelp.va.gov/app/a...b2pqd3VVUG4%3D

ask a question on the website is more productive.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:40 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
To receive VA education benefits and services through the Montgomery GI Bill program or Post-9/11 GI Bill program, the Veteran’s character of discharge or service must be honorable.

To receive VA education benefits and services through any other VA educational benefits program, including the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program, the Veteran’s character of discharge or service must be under other than dishonorable conditions (e.g., honorable, under honorable conditions, general).

Most veterans today are going to come under the Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill, meaning no benefits unless you have a straight out honorable discharge.
Not sure why you cherry picked a piece of that. It does not cover the whole deal, like the webpage does.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you cherry picked a piece of that. It does not cover the whole deal, like the webpage does.
No cherry picking. It's straight from the VA web site.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:58 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
No cherry picking. It's straight from the VA web site.
It is cherry picked. You pulled one piece out of a very long list of things to support your point. While other parts may refute your point.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
It is cherry picked. You pulled one piece out of a very long list of things to support your point. While other parts may refute your point.
It's not cherry picked. It's what I found when I googled it. I don't look at a variety of options and pick the one that best fits what I'm trying to get across. I expect the VA web site to provide accurate information.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
You got a DWI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues