U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 PM

21 posts, read 45,676 times

Advertisements

Hello, friends. To put simply I was chaptered in 2011 after three years of service after being arrested for a DWI. Other than that my record was clean and has been clean since. I also receive 70% service connection for psychiatric issues that began to manifest during my deployment and receive mental healthcare at the VA.

So my question, given the factors involved is it still possible to apply and recieve the G.I. Bill?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:28 PM

2,138 posts, read 4,582,586 times
No. Look at Voc Rehab. Trust me when I tell you, I do this for a living.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:35 AM

2,818 posts, read 3,983,590 times
I have to disagree with you on this, a General under honorable conditions does not disqualify one from the GI bill, it can only if the "quality of service" is highly negative. These things are taken into account when one files for a COE and if the COE is rejected one can file an appeal. If the OP service was honorable and the only issue was a DWI then rejection of the GI bill is unwarranted. This is why the military issues General under honorable conditions.

This comes from the VA website for Character of Discharge: "Generally, in order to receive VA benefits and services, the Veteran’s character of discharge or service must be under other than dishonorable conditions (e.g., honorable, under honorable conditions, general). However, individuals receiving undesirable, bad conduct, and other types of dishonorable discharges may qualify for VA benefits depending on a determination made by VA."

Last edited by Terryj; 09-13-2015 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-15-2015, 05:15 PM

543 posts, read 833,285 times
If the VA is giving you healthcare (like they do with me), then you're eligible for the GI Bill. However, like YaFace said, I would also recommend VA vo rehab: is 48 months of GI Bill instead of 36.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:30 PM

4,571 posts, read 6,075,134 times
Apply. If they say no your in the same position as you are now.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:34 PM

2,138 posts, read 4,582,586 times
There are literally 4 posts in this thread that are lies. Right from the VA website:

Discharge Requirements for Education Benefits
To receive VA education benefits and services through the Montgomery GI Bill program or Post-9/11 GI Bill program, the Veteran’s character of discharge or service must be honorable.

You NEED AN HONORABLE, there is no such thing as a character of discharge for GI Bill. This is the only VA benefit where you NEED a straight honorable, not UHC. Apply to Voc Rehab, don't waste your or the VA's time applying for GI Bill please.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,594 times
I have a General under honorable conditions discharge,I served 6yrs in reserves and 9 mths active duty,failed 1drug test am I available for benefits after 18years have past

Old 06-21-2018, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
There are literally 4 posts in this thread that are lies. Right from the VA website:

To receive VA education benefits and services through the Montgomery GI Bill program or Post-9/11 GI Bill program, the Veteranís character of discharge or service must be honorable.

You NEED AN HONORABLE, there is no such thing as a character of discharge for GI Bill. This is the only VA benefit where you NEED a straight honorable, not UHC. Apply to Voc Rehab, don't waste your or the VA's time applying for GI Bill please.

Wrong- just for the record, I was discharged with a General under Honorable conditions and I was able to claim the original GI Bill and qualify for a VA home loan

Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 AM

23,925 posts, read 38,388,662 times
Quote:
No. Look at Voc Rehab. Trust me when I tell you, I do this for a living.
Quote:

To receive VA education benefits and services through the Montgomery GI Bill program or Post-9/11 GI Bill program, the Veteranís character of discharge or service must be honorable.

From the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:

Applying for Benefits and Your Character of Discharge

https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits..._discharge.asp

Generally, in order to receive VA benefits and services, the Veteranís character of discharge or service must be under other than dishonorable conditions (e.g., honorable, under honorable conditions, general). However, individuals receiving undesirable, bad conduct, and other types of dishonorable discharges may qualify for VA benefits depending on a determination made by VA.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:24 AM

2,246 posts, read 1,377,706 times
https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits..._discharge.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues