U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:40 PM

2,603 posts, read 6,059,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Should be shot. And Jane Fonder.
Roger that. Hanged is my preference, American Revolution style. Slowly, no snap.

He deserted and sought out the Taliban. That they treated the fool badly is too bad so sad IMO. Treason and stupidity both have consequences.

Fonda was the beginning. Whoever was POTUS at that time really opened the floodgates when he let her do her thing and not be subject to arrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 03:05 PM

5,537 posts, read 11,994,377 times
Disgraceful!

Old 11-03-2017, 03:06 PM

5,537 posts, read 11,994,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

Fonda was the beginning. Whoever was POTUS at that time really opened the floodgates when he let her do her thing and not be subject to arrest.
Lyndon Johnson, IMO the reason we stayed in Vietnam instead of getting out, because his good old boys were making money off of the blood of our soldiers.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM

4,100 posts, read 3,690,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What say ye fellow veterans?

Army officer recommends no jail time for Bowe Bergdahl, attorney says

Jes don't seem raht ta me!
As a retired soldier I can understand everyone here and their reason for tough and even severe punishment. Certainly in our country's history we have given the ultimate punishment to deserters and treasonous individuals.

I have been on the fence over capital punishment sometimes going one way then the other. As damaging and horrible his actions are I think he got the punishment from us he deserves. One reason for this is he will have trouble with employment and other aspects of life so much so that I predict here that he takes his own life. When that happens people here will applaud and cheer. I will feel the opposite. I will feel sad that a soldier with the potential he had made the choice he did.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:57 PM

2,738 posts, read 2,284,749 times
I expected he would receive significant jail time. I think the prosecution recommended 14 years. Must have had a really good defense lawyer. The dishonorable discharge though is serious punishment. Will have a really hard time getting any kind of job.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM

15,399 posts, read 7,801,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Roger that. Hanged is my preference, American Revolution style. Slowly, no snap.

He deserted and sought out the Taliban. That they treated the fool badly is too bad so sad IMO. Treason and stupidity both have consequences.

Someone who doesn't know who was president at the time doesn't know enough about the situation to have an informed opinion on what should happen to anyone then.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 PM

2,361 posts, read 3,464,121 times
I am surprised and angered that he will spend no time in prison.

Disgraceful IMO.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:20 PM

7,555 posts, read 8,122,721 times
I'm not surprised based on the Judge's comments earlier this week. By saying he was under no illusion he wasn't going to be promoted and that he plans on retiring next year, it was clear that he was not going to bow to pressure from the CINC to impose a sentence he did not feel fit the totality of the offenses. We see only the desertion but I bet there was a bit more to the whole story (as veterans we should know this is about par for the course). In the end, Col Nance acted as a honorable Judge, not a political hack to appease the masses. I like this guy!

Old 11-04-2017, 10:52 AM

10,432 posts, read 10,307,379 times
I can see and respect the decision.

He left and got captured, then spent the next few years under the Taliban, I am sure this specific thing weighed heavily on the decision to send him to prison or not.

I understand about the issues revolving around sending people off looking for him, and no matter how the gov wants to spin it, this is exactly what happened, however, the gov should have included in their decision that he in fact voluntarily walked off base, not captured during a combat engagement. The military leaders should have probably taken this into consideration and not get on the hype train about "leave no one behind." While Bergdahl of course is the reason people went out doing things they other wise would not do, I cannot blame him solely for idiotic decisions of military leaders; I think it was far more political reasons for getting all crazy about finding him rather than pragmatic operational and even ethical reasons.

So taken everything into account, I do think the decision was a fair one, and again, his being captured and held for years by the Taliban being the main factor. If he would have ended up on a beach in India partying instead, then I would feel he deserves jail time.

Additionally, and difficult to explain so shortly, but there is this strange thing about getting a captured soldier back, then putting him in jail, for something like desertion (not murder or something).

Old 11-04-2017, 05:37 PM

25,622 posts, read 21,510,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What say ye fellow veterans?

Army officer recommends no jail time for Bowe Bergdahl, attorney says

Jes don't seem raht ta me!
sounds like he was mentally unstable and should never have been in uniform from the start.....the Army ****ed up by letting him serve - we need to keep these oddballs out of our military. CinC needs to get his mouth shut about the penalty - undue influence isn't how UCMJ is supposed to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues