U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:24 PM

3,849 posts, read 1,842,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I can see and respect the decision.

He left and got captured, then spent the next few years under the Taliban, I am sure this specific thing weighed heavily on the decision to send him to prison or not.

I understand about the issues revolving around sending people off looking for him, and no matter how the gov wants to spin it, this is exactly what happened, however, the gov should have included in their decision that he in fact voluntarily walked off base, not captured during a combat engagement. The military leaders should have probably taken this into consideration and not get on the hype train about "leave no one behind." While Bergdahl of course is the reason people went out doing things they other wise would not do, I cannot blame him solely for idiotic decisions of military leaders; I think it was far more political reasons for getting all crazy about finding him rather than pragmatic operational and even ethical reasons.

So taken everything into account, I do think the decision was a fair one, and again, his being captured and held for years by the Taliban being the main factor. If he would have ended up on a beach in India partying instead, then I would feel he deserves jail time.

Additionally, and difficult to explain so shortly, but there is this strange thing about getting a captured soldier back, then putting him in jail, for something like desertion (not murder or something).
There is a difference between being taken prisoner after having done your utmost to fight the enemy and deserting your post in a time of war and walking into enemy territory when the only possible outcomes are death or capture. Those five years in captivity should not have been a mitigator. Justice was definitely not served in this instance. How many died and how many were wounded in the effort to find him? How many operations were cancelled or placed on hold in order to search for him? How much money did his actions cost the government? Bergdahl got off way too easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 AM

229 posts, read 81,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post

. As damaging and horrible his actions are I think he got the punishment from us he deserves. One reason for this is he will have trouble with employment and other aspects of life so much so that I predict here that he takes his own life. When that happens people here will applaud and cheer. I will feel the opposite. I will feel sad that a soldier with the potential he had made the choice he did.
I agree that he is not going to be able to create any type of decent life for himself. Having flunked out of the CG, he should never have been accepted into the army in the first place. At the time he walked off, I think he was just reacting to his own demons and not giving thought to any repercussions to his action.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:36 AM

25,622 posts, read 21,510,681 times
Coast Guard knew enough to toss his ass. Why didn't we (Army)?

Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM

11,540 posts, read 6,073,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Coast Guard knew enough to toss his ass. Why didn't we (Army)?
The year he went in 2008, that was prime year for waivers in the Army (2007 also). They were taking anybody in left and right and by that point had even raised the maximum age for initial enlistees at 42 years of age. Iraq and Afghanistan were still hot and heavy and they needed a lot of bodies.

As for the judge's decision, as I stated in the other post, I can see where he made the decision.

His decision was based on a multitude of factors. Not only his five years of captivity and torture, but also the valuable intel he gave after his release and some of his platoon mates wanting no prison time.

The thought also was that Trump's tweets and statements on Bowe and the justice system was a factor in the judge not giving Bowe any prison time.

Bergdahl's Lawyer: No Prison Time Is In Recognition Of His Time Held Captive : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues