Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:12 AM

17,876 posts, read 15,750,740 times

Advertisements

What is a common/popular civilian job for combat veterans of infantry, armour, aviation wings?

Do vast majority of them just take Montgomery GI bill, go to college and reinvent themselves instead of hitting the workforce right off the bat? Can you take the Montgomery GI bill and do whatever you want with it?

I know many police officers were in the military. Are they all in combat arms? Also do they often display a cocky, confident attitude towards other officers who were not military because they feel they have superior training and experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:50 AM

23,473 posts, read 13,705,229 times
Depends on the person. Dad, 30 years in infantry & air cav, became a lawyer, non criminal. Dad's dad, also infantry, recommended it to him, saying it would be something he would enjoy the most. Granddad, also a career officer, went off and did some kind of work for a simulation company or such........and hated it.

Equally, Dad's Warrant Officer pilot went off and worked for something like Flight International.....and I think he pretty much loved that. Basically, pilots love to fly and if they can do that afterwards, then the sky is blue. Dad, too, was an Army Aviator (but not Granddad), used some of the GI bill to learn how fly fixed wings, and used flying to advance his law business.

Finally, about the "cocky attitude"? Dad said he wouldn't do criminal since he believed that most of the people that came to him ought to be jail.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:12 AM

12,306 posts, read 8,002,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is a common/popular civilian job for combat veterans of infantry, armour, aviation wings?

Do vast majority of them just take Montgomery GI bill, go to college and reinvent themselves instead of hitting the workforce right off the bat? Can you take the Montgomery GI bill and do whatever you want with it?

I know many police officers were in the military. Are they all in combat arms? Also do they often display a cocky, confident attitude towards other officers who were not military because they feel they have superior training and experience?
I have been hearing on some law enforcement message boards that in many big city departments combat arms veterans are not passing the psychological testing. In sharp contrast with every cop on TV shows being an ex Ranger, SEAL or Recon/Scout Sniper. None of the combat arms veterans that I know and have been interviewed for actually made it to the California Highway Patrol, LAPD or LA Sheriff's academies

The one infantryman I know near law enforcement was a Marine injured in a non combat accident as the run up to Baghdad started who is a jailer for the City of Los Angeles. His brother in law after multiple tours was not accepted by the Highway Patrol and when the USMC was calling him up for an additional tour in Afghanistan he was disqualified and is now a salesman. . The veterans, combat arms or not all work in the range of employment from postal worker, to educator, to executive and many were college graduates before enlisting, either in the Cold War era after 9/11.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:38 AM

37,249 posts, read 60,987,691 times
I know a few former MPs who went into civilian law enforcement. Police work is police work after all, but I could see where you would never want former infantry to do police work.

I know a few vets who did time as bouncers, but again their training got in the way of their job.

Former infantry that I know mostly ended up in construction.

I would recommend going to college, re-invent yourself.

Unless you are on pension and the goal is to retire, I think that all vets should go through college.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,114,094 times
In my experience, most vets who went into police work were not in combat arms, and most police officers are not vets. It's a non-issue.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:08 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,091,773 times
Armored truck detail and/or private armed security firm.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,534,465 times
Quote:
This is no such common/popular civilian job's. From what I have actually seen? People I have met? They go from homeless people to a bank president, owner of a auto insurance agency, a city counselor, a school teacher, and optometrist, animal control officer, real estate agent, plumber and I probably have forgotten a few others...

Quote:
I do not believe the vast majority use all their educational benefits. There have been several versions of "GI Bills"... "Eligible Servicemembers may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 buy-up program. You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be fewer or more years depending on the situation. " Montgomery GI Bill - Education and Training

Quote:
I know many police officers were in the military.
Do you have some real verifiable numbers?

Quote:
Are they all in combat arms? Also do they often display a cocky, confident attitude towards other officers who were not military because they feel they have superior training and experience?
The majority of our local police departments of 1,000+ police officers are not military veterans...

I have met several (Three that I can recall) active duty military member who were briefly Law Enforcement Officers.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:53 PM

99 posts, read 71,459 times
I agree with Poncho.

Seldom do I see ex military go into a career that had anything to do with what job/skills they had in the military.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:52 PM

37,249 posts, read 60,987,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog Democrat View Post
I agree with Poncho.

Seldom do I see ex military go into a career that had anything to do with what job/skills they had in the military.
Within the context of infantry, I agree.

In my community [subs] a lot of us make the transition smoothly.

Nuclear reactor operators go straight from uniform to civilian clothes without a hitch.

I was offered multiple jobs doing nearly the same stuff I did in uniform.

One of my sons is in uniform now doing helicopter avionics, he should be able to transition smoothly.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 PM

722 posts, read 1,319,476 times
non skilled laborer, manual laborer, tow truck driver, gun store or Sportsman's type store salesman.

gun show vendors all seem to be veterans, Ive met several ex Special Forces, Rangers, Recon, Scout snipers that do gun shows

most former Infantry do blue collar type jobs, maybe work in a factory that makes garage doors, furniture, or something related to construction, cement workers, semi truck drivers.

some even end up back in fast food service, car wash or other unskilled service jobs.

I knew a guy that spent several years in the military and ended up working at the local pizza parlor, back in the same type of low paying job he did before he joined the military.

If you were an Infantry man / Artilleryman / armor crew in the military, dont expect to find a job thats similar in the civilian world, many guys pretty much wasted their time in the military.

a lot also end up taking useless classes at the community college with the college fund from the military
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues