Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 06:14 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

I just read about a man who claimed for years to be a Navy SEAL and then committed suicide when he was exposed. He apparently shot himself (suicide) but the authorities believe he staged it to look like a murder. It was in the news several years back and on a TV show where someone named Don Shipley exposes fake SEALS. I dated this man years ago and was shocked when I googled his name, out of pure curiosity about what he's doing now and instead found out he is deceased. And then I found out why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 08:00 PM

220 posts, read 145,331 times
I'm not familiar with that one. But I shudder every time a certain U.S. senator speaks disparagingly about the opposition when he once falsely claimed Viet Nam veteran status during his campaign.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
It's usually pretty easy to figure out if they're falsifying their service history.

Units like SEALS have an ethos that shuns publicity and self aggrandizement. So if someone claims to be a SEAL (or other similar elite unit) - and brags about their feats - be suspicious. SEALs generally don't want to call attention to themselves IMO.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:26 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
It's usually pretty easy to figure out if they're falsifying their service history.

Units like SEALS have an ethos that shuns publicity and self aggrandizement. So if someone claims to be a SEAL (or other similar elite unit) - and brags about their feats - be suspicious. SEALs generally don't want to call attention to themselves IMO.
You mean besides the SEAL who wrote a book about the Bin Laden raid? Or the countless other books written by former SEALS?

Old 07-22-2018, 05:33 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

Disagree on that one. I know several former Rangers, Seals, Green berets etc. The majority of them will present said history at the drop of a hat. Rarely will they talk about actual missions or or things they did in the service unless you're close to them, but most have no problem presenting the fact that they were special forces when asked about there military service or what they've done for a living. I don't know if it is really considered bragging, but from my experience most of these types have no problem calling attention to themselves in the right scenario like throwing a warning out there when needed.

Last edited by spider99; 07-22-2018 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 05:45 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I know an ex navy diver who allows himself to be represented as a SEAL. He knows I know better and doesn't push it around me. I served 9 years active so I speak "navy" well enough to read between the lines.
Over the years I have met a great many people who I know are fake Vietnam veterans.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I know an ex navy diver who allows himself to be represented as a SEAL. He knows I know better and doesn't push it around me. I served 9 years active so I speak "navy" well enough to read between the lines.
Over the years I have met a great many people who I know are fake Vietnam veterans.
Found out recently that my uncle is faking being a Vietnam vet. He came to town for my dad's funeral, and my uncle's wife mentioned my uncle's service. My mom was confused, as she'd known my uncle since he was about 9 years old (he was much younger than my dad) and knew for a fact he'd never served. My uncle's wife insisted that it was true, as she'd seen the medals he'd earned, and the discharge letters.

When she told me, I remembered that my uncle posted often on FB about being a member of his local VFW (he lives in a different state, and I only see his FB posts). When I saw that, I was confused, since I thought you had to have served in order to join. I just figured I was mistaken.

We've always considered this uncle a bit of a nutjob, and knew he was prone to telling tall tales. This was beyond just a white lie. I've lost was little respect I had for him, and find his behavior appalling.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:02 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You mean besides the SEAL who wrote a book about the Bin Laden raid? Or the countless other books written by former SEALS?

Sometimes it seems like everybody in the US Navy since Magnum PI hit the air in 1980 was either a F-14 pilot or a Navy SEAL

Old 07-23-2018, 12:31 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I've hauled a lot of SEALs over the years in our C-130s and I've never had one ever talk about any mission they were ever on. I've even taken them to far-flung parts of the world and we knew nothing about their mission. If they won't talk to their fellow servicemen about what they do, they sure as heck aren't going to be bragging about their exploits to civilians they've never met before. So if you ever hear someone bragging about being a SEAL, chances are almost 100 percent that they're not a real SEAL.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:56 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've hauled a lot of SEALs over the years in our C-130s and I've never had one ever talk about any mission they were ever on. I've even taken them to far-flung parts of the world and we knew nothing about their mission. If they won't talk to their fellow servicemen about what they do, they sure as heck aren't going to be bragging about their exploits to civilians they've never met before. So if you ever hear someone bragging about being a SEAL, chances are almost 100 percent that they're not a real SEAL.
But then again we are looking at two different groups of men. Those still being deployed versus veterans who may or may not have been on real or fictional missions which might have been declassified years ago. While the SEAL/Special Forces/Ranger may not "talk" about their status a real special operator has a uniform which speaks for him. It might be an unit or branch insignia, shoulder tabs, or a special colored beret to begin with I guess if he was a US Marine would be the only service where you could not just glance at him in uniform and not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues