U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2017, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Middletown, DE
124 posts, read 51,517 times
Reputation: 368

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You do not get GI Bill benefits if you have a General Discharge. With your brother serving six months and getting a General Discharge there is no way he would qualify for the GI Bill.
You are absolutely correct. There are SOME VA benefits available with a general discharge. But FULL benefits (including the GI Bill) would require nothing short of an honorable discharge. There are also some very significant time of service requirements, which vary somewhat by the era the member served, to qualify for the various VA benefits. But there is not a chance that someone who served for six months and got a general discharge has anything close to full VA benefits, no matter the era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 AM
 
1,541 posts, read 581,469 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog811 View Post
You are absolutely correct. There are SOME VA benefits available with a general discharge. But FULL benefits (including the GI Bill) would require nothing short of an honorable discharge. There are also some very significant time of service requirements, which vary somewhat by the era the member served, to qualify for the various VA benefits. But there is not a chance that someone who served for six months and got a general discharge has anything close to full VA benefits, no matter the era.
Wasn't/Isn't there an option for those getting out on a GD to pay $1200 to get the G.I. Bill? Or was that just Honorable but getting out in less than 1 year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Middletown, DE
124 posts, read 51,517 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Wasn't/Isn't there an option for those getting out on a GD to pay $1200 to get the G.I. Bill? Or was that just Honorable but getting out in less than 1 year?
Don't remember that. I believe that under the Montgomery GI Bill, where the member made a nominal monthly contribution to the plan for a fixed number of months, could make a payment if they got an "early out" with an honorable discharge in order get vested. But that honorable discharge was still a requirement. Otherwise they just got their contributions returned to them.

The Montgomery GI Bill was after I retired. If someone has a different understanding I'll stand corrected without argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 PM
 
1 posts, read 486 times
Reputation: 10
Default Buck SGT E-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Um...that should read "SHE worked hard"...



Cat
Cat,

I guess I too am a relic. I put on SRA below the zone and then later put on SGT (E-4) in 1989. No extra pay, just held NCO status and supervised airmen. Graduated from the NCO Prep School just before I got out in JAN 1990. The "Buck SGT" rank went away in 1991. My DD214 states "Rank" as SGT and "Pay Grade" as E-4.

I am now an Army Officer and realize this can be confusing to Army folks.

VA should have some "relics" there too that ought to be able to relate.

Good Luck!

Fellow Relic

Last edited by chappy7391; 11-05-2017 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 05:35 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
13,263 posts, read 6,155,358 times
Reputation: 5817
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy7391 View Post
Cat,

I guess I too am a relic. I put on SRA below the zone and then later put on SGT (E-4) in 1989. No extra pay, just held NCO status and supervised airmen. Graduated from the NCO Prep School just before I got out in JAN 1990. The "Buck SGT" rank went away in 1991. My DD214 states "Rank" as SGT and "Pay Grade" as E-4.

I am now an Army Officer and realize this can be confusing to Army folks.

VA should have some "relics" there too that ought to be able to relate.

Good Luck!

Fellow Relic

I work with a former CCT who was an E-5 Staff Sergeant and spent a lot of time around the Army. When he stated he was a SSgt the Army treated him way differently, as an Army SSG is an E-6. The same one-plus occurs for a USAF Master Sergeant (MSgt, an E-7) versus an Army MSG (E-8).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Elysium
5,211 posts, read 2,702,858 times
Reputation: 3591
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I work with a former CCT who was an E-5 Staff Sergeant and spent a lot of time around the Army. When he stated he was a SSgt the Army treated him way differently, as an Army SSG is an E-6. The same one-plus occurs for a USAF Master Sergeant (MSgt, an E-7) versus an Army MSG (E-8).
Generally speaking in my experience there where no major distinctions between the Army Sergeant ranks, beyond the actual duty assignments until you hit the Master/First Sergeant rank. But then we had many Specialist in a position authorized for a Sergeant and many a Sergeant holding a Staff Sergeants position and so on. But they were all refereed to as just "Sergeant" not "Staff Sergeant", "Sergeant First Class" in normal everyday talking.

I do remember we had a soldier hurt and his older brother a Chief Master Sergeant came to visit and the senior NCOs let us know he was a Command Sergeant Major equivalent. Now perhaps CCT being a "Staff Sergeant" caused him to pull more senior NCO versus junior NCO duties but that would have been in the brigade HHC level or higher and not something I ever saw on my level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 AM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
13,263 posts, read 6,155,358 times
Reputation: 5817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Generally speaking in my experience there where no major distinctions between the Army Sergeant ranks, beyond the actual duty assignments until you hit the Master/First Sergeant rank. But then we had many Specialist in a position authorized for a Sergeant and many a Sergeant holding a Staff Sergeants position and so on. But they were all refereed to as just "Sergeant" not "Staff Sergeant", "Sergeant First Class" in normal everyday talking.

I do remember we had a soldier hurt and his older brother a Chief Master Sergeant came to visit and the senior NCOs let us know he was a Command Sergeant Major equivalent. Now perhaps CCT being a "Staff Sergeant" caused him to pull more senior NCO versus junior NCO duties but that would have been in the brigade HHC level or higher and not something I ever saw on my level

It was a perception thing and how he got yelled at (or didn't) at Airborne instructor training at Benning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 07:33 PM
 
1 posts, read 331 times
Reputation: 10
From USAF Old Man, I was in the Air Force from 1964-1968. When I was an E-4 Airman first class ,crew chief. Then in the latter part of 1967 or early 1968 I became a E-4 Sargent,Acft. tech. Name changes only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2018, 09:08 AM
 
288 posts, read 641,165 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I do empathize with the OP... she worked hard to achieve NCO status and now it's forgotten.

I was a buck sergeant in the Air Force as well, but didn't get out until the 21 year point as a MSgt. There was no "hard work" involved in "achieving" NCO status (e.g. going from Sra to Sgt) it was just a matter of having the time in grade, and keeping your nose clean like all promotions up to E4 were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 PM
 
1 posts, read 217 times
Reputation: 15
Relic here too! Worked hard to get “Below The Zone” and get my star and NCO Status!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top