U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2018, 11:36 AM
 
75 posts, read 41,103 times
Reputation: 92

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I was medically retired from the Air Force in 1989 at the rank of E-4 Sergeant. I think it was in 1991 or so the Air Force did away with the rank of E-4 Sergeant. Now, an E-4 is a Senior Airman-not an NCO. I am now a relic. So now when I deal with organizations that deal with vets (i.e. The V.A. USAA, etc) when they are filling in my rank they only have E-4 SRA on their forms with no other option. I know it sounds very petty but it really bothers me. I feel that I am being demoted. I earned my star and my NCO status. I have talked to people in these organizations to try to educate them that there is another option there. I'm sure they will not reprogram their computer forms to accommodate the handful of us who do exist-at least I THINK there are more than just me.


Are there any other AF Buck Sergeants out there and if so, have you also experienced the same thing? Or am I the only relic.



Cat
You did nothing to “earn” buck sergeant or nco status. It was freely given out like candy to anyone that had served 4 years. Sorry to burst your bubble. It’s not today’s SrA’s fault they are not promoted to buck after 4 years. They did everything to earn it that you did (put in time). Blame the AF for taking it away if you want but no one earned buck sgt. The first rank that was and is earned by way of promotion testing is SSgt. Which takes into account test scores, performance, and decorations among others. The first 4 ranks all that needed to be done was keep your nose clean and not get in trouble and this included buck sgt. I served in the AF back in that era and was among the first group of people to not get promoted to buck. Luckily I made SSgt at 4 years anyway so the point became moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2018, 11:41 AM
 
1,604 posts, read 681,948 times
Reputation: 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
You did nothing to “earn” buck sergeant or nco status. It was freely given out like candy to anyone that had served 4 years. Sorry to burst your bubble. It’s not today’s SrA’s fault they are not promoted to buck after 4 years. They did everything to earn it that you did (put in time). Blame the AF for taking it away if you want but no one earned buck sgt. The first rank that was and is earned by way of promotion testing is SSgt. Which takes into account test scores, performance, and decorations among others. The first 4 ranks all that needed to be done was keep your nose clean and not get in trouble and this included buck sgt. I served in the AF back in that era and was among the first group of people to not get promoted to buck. Luckily I made SSgt at 4 years anyway so the point became moot.
Kinda “blunt”, but true. People were “awarded” the rank of Buck Sgt. without actually testing for it just by time in service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 AM
 
75 posts, read 41,103 times
Reputation: 92
Yeah my reply may have been blunt but true. No one earned Buck Sgt, unless putting in time is considered earning. I wouldn’t mind if they brought back an E4 NCO grade. The other branches have an NCO grade at E4. My son is in the Navy and their first NCO grade is E4 Petty Officer 3rd Class, although they have to test for it.

Maybe bring back buck but make it earned by getting the highest promotion reports or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 11:54 AM
 
1,604 posts, read 681,948 times
Reputation: 2692
I actually think they should make it “harder” to become an NCO. Seems like it’s becoming easier and easier to make E-4 (Air Force SSgt), and a lot aren’t mentally mature/prepared to take on that role yet. But back when I made SSgt, it was much harder and people weren’t making it the first time testing like they are nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM
 
75 posts, read 41,103 times
Reputation: 92
I made SSgt my first time testing but that was extremely rare back then (early 90’s). I simply studied harder than everyone else for WAPS testing after everyone told me it couldn’t be done on first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 AM
 
1,604 posts, read 681,948 times
Reputation: 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
I made SSgt my first time testing but that was extremely rare back then (early 90’s). I simply studied harder than everyone else for WAPS testing after everyone told me it couldn’t be done on first time.
2nd time for me...early 90s...still extremely rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque
1,614 posts, read 2,403,258 times
Reputation: 1006
FYI I was active AF from 1972 to 1976. Yes E-4 was automatic and very rare to see an E-5 under 4. I can remember only one in my AFSC and that was at RAF Bentwaters. Guy was from Virginia too. Back then southerners were more "military minded" than us northerners. Maybe it's different today. BTW Johnny Cash made E-5 under 4, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,079 posts, read 38,745,073 times
Reputation: 28044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I actually think they should make it “harder” to become an NCO. Seems like it’s becoming easier and easier to make E-4 (Air Force SSgt), and a lot aren’t mentally mature/prepared to take on that role yet. But back when I made SSgt, it was much harder and people weren’t making it the first time testing like they are nowadays.
(Air Force SSgt) currently is Pay Grade E-5, not E-4...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 12:33 PM
 
1,604 posts, read 681,948 times
Reputation: 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
I made SSgt my first time testing but that was extremely rare back then (early 90’s). I simply studied harder than everyone else for WAPS testing after everyone told me it couldn’t be done on first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
(Air Force SSgt) currently is Pay Grade E-5, not E-4...
Typo...I meant “E-5”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2018, 12:58 PM
 
75 posts, read 41,103 times
Reputation: 92
True story. No lie. I made SrA BTZ at 2.5 years(6 months early). Got selected for SSgt at 3 years and sewed on at 4 years. Then got selected for TSgt at 6 years and sewed on at 7 years. Believe the average was around 12-14 years then (1990s). My first supervisor as an airman was a Buck Sgt and I made Tech before he did. I had the highest line number for Tech in the entire Air Force. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 AM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top