U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:05 PM

4,505 posts, read 3,017,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker2dbone View Post
I too was a Buck Sgt. when I got out of the USAF. I got out in 1992 when Bill Clinton was downsizing the military. I am intending to wear my old mess dress blues uniform in my upcoming wedding in July and was trying to order needed missing items according to my rank and of course E4 Sgt wasn't listed. Happy to say the uniform still fits me well, or should i say fits me again. I had to lose a little weight. Will be very proud to marry my beautiful bride in uniform. H.L.
It was under the elder Bush when the military started to be downsized.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 06:03 PM

8,559 posts, read 7,308,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker2dbone View Post
I too was a Buck Sgt. when I got out of the USAF. I got out in 1992 when Bill Clinton was downsizing the military. I am intending to wear my old mess dress blues uniform in my upcoming wedding in July and was trying to order needed missing items according to my rank and of course E4 Sgt wasn't listed. Happy to say the uniform still fits me well, or should i say fits me again. I had to lose a little weight. Will be very proud to marry my beautiful bride in uniform. H.L.
I find it strange that while no longer in the Military that you would wear your "old" uniform to be married in. I got married in my uniform but I was in the military at the time.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 PM

6,722 posts, read 3,720,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I find it strange that while no longer in the Military that you would wear your "old" uniform to be married in. I got married in my uniform but I was in the military at the time.

Same here, right after I was activated for deployment to Afghanistan. I've only worn my uniform twice since I retired. Once was for the military funeral of my mentor, who was a retired Lt Col that had sworn me into the Marine Corps and the Guard. I wore it at the request of his family. The other time was for a military ceremony awarding honorable discharge certificates to the survivors of those who had served in the Alaska Territorial Guard. I was asked by the organizer of the event to appear in uniform.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:22 PM

451 posts, read 266,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Is that even allowed? I thought to wear your uniform after active service the reason had to have some sort of military tie-in. A military funeral, Veteran's Day ceremony, being asked to speak at a High School because of your prior military experience. Something like that. You can't just decide "today I'll wear my uniform." Or maybe you can?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:09 AM

24,866 posts, read 40,367,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Is that even allowed? I thought to wear your uniform after active service the reason had to have some sort of military tie-in. A military funeral, Veteran's Day ceremony, being asked to speak at a High School because of your prior military experience. Something like that. You can't just decide "today I'll wear my uniform." Or maybe you can?

From: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/mi...terans-3356978

Military Uniform Rules For Retirees And Veterans
Rules For Former Military Member In Uniform

Quote:
The rules state that retirees can wear their uniforms. To be considered a retired veteran, one must have served 20 years or more. However, there are medically retired service members who were injured in the line of duty who also rate the uniform as a retired military member once a civilian. ​

Veterans are members who served but did not accumulate 20 years of service, however, they may also wear the uniform but only in special occasions that are typically centered around military service and family events (military wedding / funeral, etc).

The rules for wearing military uniforms as a retired military member or a discharged veteran are similar for all the services. There are certain rules for those seeking to wear the uniform for formal functions, national holidays, parades, military funerals and weddings and other military occasions. Only the Service Dress Uniform may be worn; no work, battle dress or PT uniforms are permitted to be worn at formal events. For non-formal events, veterans are allowed to wear other working uniforms as deemed appropriate for the occasion.

For Army personel, the full regulation is here:
Army Regulation 6701Uniform and InsigniaWear andAppearance ofArmy Uniforms and Insignia
https://www.army.mil/e2/c/downloads/337951.pdf

Old 03-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Thanks. Funnilly enough about 2 mins after I posted I found that same website. So, I guess I can get up in the morning and but on my uniform just like I did when I was on active duty?

Quote:
The rules state that retirees can wear their uniforms.
No if, and, or buts. Except the obvious "wear it right and don't disgrace it etc. But I don't have to be doing anything "military"

Old 03-12-2019, 11:47 AM

24,866 posts, read 40,367,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Thanks. Funnilly enough about 2 mins after I posted I found that same website. So, I guess I can get up in the morning and but on my uniform just like I did when I was on active duty?

Quote:
The rules state that retirees can wear their uniforms.
No if, and, or buts. Except the obvious "wear it right and don't disgrace it etc. But I don't have to be doing anything "military"
Grow up and quit misquoting others...

Old 03-12-2019, 11:49 AM

848 posts, read 309,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
I was a buck sergeant in the Air Force as well, but didn't get out until the 21 year point as a MSgt. There was no "hard work" involved in "achieving" NCO status (e.g. going from Sra to Sgt) it was just a matter of having the time in grade, and keeping your nose clean like all promotions up to E4 were.

This.

I was promoted to an NCO/E4 status on May 1, 1980 and separated from the service just two months later. There were no tests or schools involved - just time. I did get yelled at a bit when I failed to show up for the E-5 test but once I explained that I was departing the service, that was the end of that.

Even though it was relatively soon after Vietnam ended when I went into the service and most of my friends turned their collective noses up at me, the USAF got me off to a good start in life & I'll always appreciate my time in the service and the GI Bill. God bless those who tolerated and taught me well during my time.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:43 PM

4,505 posts, read 3,017,739 times
I once wore my uniform after I got out. I was student teaching (5th grade) and it was Halloween. All the kids asked about my "husband's" uniform when I informed that it was MINE! And that I earned all the stripes/ribbons on it. I knew I was within my right to wear it because I was (medically) retired. That was the last time I wore it. I can't fit into it these days.

Cat

Old 03-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Grow up and quit misquoting others...
Put the bottle down. I did no such thing.

Grow up and quit misrepresenting others.

Last edited by fallstaff; 03-12-2019 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues