Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 06:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Just read where women will be allowed into Combat roles. Now I am not sexist or anything like that but reflecting back to my WW11 and Korea days only recall women being at a MASH type of unit.....closest being miles away.

Can just see it now. Latrines will have a curtain down the middle so that will work. But what about the Transgender troops. Do we place another curtain?

What about the frontline when they have to P**...do suppose looking the other way could work...maybe......NAW.

Not trying to start a verbal exchange but understand viewpoints do change and maybe this is the FUTURE.

Wonder what many lifers think considering their years of service......with all men of course.
Yes you are sexist and if you were in WWII an old fart too.

I suppose you would not want a woman doctor to operate on you and save your life either.

What a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
I'm by no means saying that women are as physically capable as men. As a recruiter, when a woman tells me she wants to a be a PJ, I laugh inside because I know there is no way she will pass the physical test. I'll believe it when I see it. I hope I get to see a woman pass someday, but I'd bet a paycheck I won't ever personally see it.

What irritates me, is when MEN talk about how it's not possible for women to serve in combat because of things like going to the bathroom. Those of us in the military are more mature than worrying about who has a penis and who pees while squatting.

Physical capabilities are one thing, but give the men some credit. Do you think a bunch of men are going to melt into piles of uselessness if they see a woman pee? Give those men a break. They can handle it. If they can't handle a women peeing in a bush, they are the problem, not the women.

Women are ALREADY in combat. They have been in combat for years!!!!! We've been serving alongside men in deployments, and combat, without incident, for years.

And yes, there have been sexual assaults- but there have been sexual assults in Wal-mart parking lots in the USA- it has nothing to do with combat.

Last edited by dmarie123; 12-04-2015 at 07:32 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 10:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Just read where women will be allowed into Combat roles. Now I am not sexist or anything like that but. . .
Are you sure?

Quote:
Can just see it now. Latrines will have a curtain down the middle so that will work. But what about the Transgender troops. Do we place another curtain?

What about the frontline when they have to P**...do suppose looking the other way could work...maybe......NAW.
Wow. Such chauvinistic comments coming from a nonsexist guy.

Quote:
Not trying to start a verbal exchange but understand viewpoints do change and maybe this is the FUTURE.
Obviously you are or you wouldn't have started the thread. The word "but" placed in a sentence negates whatever you said before it.

For those who are against women in combat, I ask you why. There are women firefighters, women cops, FBI agents, Secret Service, and all sorts of other positions women occupy in which they risk their lives to protect others and their country. So how are men somehow superior and women inferior? Besides, women have served in other military roles for many years. Why is this different?

Old 12-04-2015, 12:24 PM

769 posts, read 782,624 times
Quote:
I am not sexist
But you are Blanche. You ARE !!!

[and you obviously think transgender are a joke].

Old 12-04-2015, 05:12 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Hmmmm, Okay. Since firefighters was mentioned and they do a good job I'm sure.

When in business and having Hazard items in the Bldg a local visit was done by the nearby Fire station and recall where one mentioned that they had a woman on their squad and she was NOT pulling her weight. Might be an exception as that can happen just about anywhere.

I was on the front (North Korea) the closest MASH was a few mile to our rear....15 as I recall.

I was at the top of a pinpoint that was 5 miles wide and 15 miles to the rear. (todays DMZ since 1953) Our Artillery shells went miles that those familiar here can verify.

Easy for those that have possibly never served in any Combat to think differently when it comes to women serving there.

Front lines can be a few hundred yards or a couple miles to the rear so some jobs could be done by women with out any problems.....all a matter of terrain.

One of our men did get sick and was taken to the MASH unit....that is how I knew about the 15 mile distance.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:27 PM

477 posts, read 276,528 times
When we talk about women in combat… we imagine the recent conflicts of Iraq and Afghanistan. For those not there for the invasion periods, they would arrive and check in to a pre-existing FOB, many with significant creature comforts. Eventually, many had a CHU instead of a GP tent, internet became expected instead of a treat, and the PXes sold flat screen TVs and lots of junk food. Riding around in up armored vehicles, recording everything with GoPros and downing Ripits (Red Bull-like).

War against a peer enemy will be vastly different. Harsh and unglamorous, with many more dying and suffering, reduced to statistics like past wars.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:03 AM

163 posts, read 138,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm by no means saying that women are as physically capable as men. As a recruiter, when a woman tells me she wants to a be a PJ, I laugh inside because I know there is no way she will pass the physical test. I'll believe it when I see it. I hope I get to see a woman pass someday, but I'd bet a paycheck I won't ever personally see it.

What irritates me, is when MEN talk about how it's not possible for women to serve in combat because of things like going to the bathroom. Those of us in the military are more mature than worrying about who has a penis and who pees while squatting.

Physical capabilities are one thing, but give the men some credit. Do you think a bunch of men are going to melt into piles of uselessness if they see a woman pee? Give those men a break. They can handle it. If they can't handle a women peeing in a bush, they are the problem, not the women.

Women are ALREADY in combat. They have been in combat for years!!!!! We've been serving alongside men in deployments, and combat, without incident, for years.

And yes, there have been sexual assaults- but there have been sexual assults in Wal-mart parking lots in the USA- it has nothing to do with combat.
What's a PJ? And also I do have a question do you think that beyond what one would normally be done to rescue captured soldiers women that are captured should be given a higher priority? If say 5 men and 5 women are captured knowing what's likely to happen should women be given a higher priority to help rescue even if it means going out of the way and risking men's lives at the same time compared to trying to rescue other men? Just look at the Jessica Lynch deal, it was national headlines but do men that get a whole squad to rescue them get such? Or would you be willing to accept that any woman won't be considered extra special any more than a captured man?

Old 12-05-2015, 10:19 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
What's a PJ? And also I do have a question do you think that beyond what one would normally be done to rescue captured soldiers women that are captured should be given a higher priority? If say 5 men and 5 women are captured knowing what's likely to happen should women be given a higher priority to help rescue even if it means going out of the way and risking men's lives at the same time compared to trying to rescue other men? Just look at the Jessica Lynch deal, it was national headlines but do men that get a whole squad to rescue them get such? Or would you be willing to accept that any woman won't be considered extra special any more than a captured man?
How extensively the military will go to rescue an evading or captured American depends on the circumstances. We will go a very long way to rescue someone we know is still actively evading (which is the point of Air Force ParaRescue).

Did you ever see the '88 movie "Bat*21" with Gene Hackman and Danny Glover? Set during the Vietnam War, the film is a dramatization based upon the rescue of a U.S. airman shot down behind enemy lines in Vietnam. During the Gulf War, I spent a graveyard shift on watch with the man who had been the commander of that rescue squadron as they worked that rescue. He told me the effort was not by just one pilot (as dramatized by the movie). They actually lost fully half the planes in their squadron attempting to rescue that one man, and many of those pilots were themselves taken prisoner. But as long as they knew he was actively evading, they would go to any length to rescue him.

If it had been Jesse Lynch in captivity, and if the same opportunity to rescue him had presented itself, I feel confident the same attempt would have been made.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
PJ- Pararescue, a combat medic within the Air Force. Previously only open to men. They have a physical fitness test for entry into the career field that is actually more difficult than the initial entry test for Navy SEALs.

SEAL test:
500 Yard Swim 12:30 minutes
Pushups 50
Sit-ups 50
Pull-ups 10
1.5 Mile Timed Run 10:30

PJ Test:
- 2 x 25 m sub surface swim no time limit
- 500 m swim 10:07 or less
- 1.5 mile run 9:47 or less
- 10 pull ups min
- 58 sit ups min
- 54 push ups min

I don't believe women have a higher priority in being rescued. Just because the media treated Jessica Lynch differently doesn't mean the military did. I would have to google it, a whole squad went in to rescue Bergdahl, who was a man- six people died trying to rescue him. We try to rescue everyone we can, man or woman. Why do you think we try harder to rescue women than men?

Old 12-05-2015, 10:53 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
"Because men are horn dogs."

"Why do you think we try harder to rescue women than men?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues