U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,490 times

Advertisements

My fiance left for BMT on December 14th. He was there for a week when he had two bad panic attacks and was sent to the hospital, where they diagnosed him with clinical depression and anxiety and he was given something for the anxiety. He was there for about a day or so when he was told they would 'feel safer/better if he was sent to another hospital for the weekend.' So he spent Thursday night through Monday morning [yesterday] in the Psych Ward. He has been on 'suicide watch' this whole time, i.e. no bootlaces, no belt, no watch, doors don't lock, no shower curtains, toothbrush is confiscated after use, etc. He has been talking to a lot of psychiatrists during this time, and was sent to Med Hold yesterday afternoon. Is he going to be discharged? Are they keeping him there to be separated or would they continue to evaluate him? Is there a chance he could get sent back to Basic? If he is being discharged, how long of a process would it take?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:15 PM

9,581 posts, read 16,429,858 times
It sounds like he needs to be sent home. That could take several weeks. What they do with him depends on whether they consider him to pose a risk of harm to himself or others.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,943,480 times
I would guess he's on medical hold while they prepare his medical discharge. There's no shame in that. The military is not for everyone, and I sincerely doubt he'll be placed back into training. I agree with Joe that it could take several weeks.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:23 PM

6,643 posts, read 3,666,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I would guess he's on medical hold while they prepare his medical discharge. There's no shame in that. The military is not for everyone, and I sincerely doubt he'll be placed back into training. I agree with Joe that it could take several weeks.

Although the OP may want to reconsider if this is a person who she wants to spend the rest of her life with. It sounds like he has some serious problems. Most people make it through basic just fine.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:03 AM

3,304 posts, read 9,576,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfantasy View Post
My fiance left for BMT on December 14th. He was there for a week when he had two bad panic attacks and was sent to the hospital, where they diagnosed him with clinical depression and anxiety and he was given something for the anxiety. He was there for about a day or so when he was told they would 'feel safer/better if he was sent to another hospital for the weekend.' So he spent Thursday night through Monday morning [yesterday] in the Psych Ward. He has been on 'suicide watch' this whole time, i.e. no bootlaces, no belt, no watch, doors don't lock, no shower curtains, toothbrush is confiscated after use, etc. He has been talking to a lot of psychiatrists during this time, and was sent to Med Hold yesterday afternoon. Is he going to be discharged? Are they keeping him there to be separated or would they continue to evaluate him? Is there a chance he could get sent back to Basic? If he is being discharged, how long of a process would it take?
He will be discharged. There is no way they will send him back to BMT after something like this. They're still obligated to diagnose and treat him, and he might even be able to get VA Disability for the rest of his life since this happened in basic training.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 PM

994 posts, read 1,063,272 times
If his behavior resulted in him being sent to the hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, he's most likely on his way out of the military. That's one reason Boot Camp/Basic Training exists -- to find out if recruits can handle the military. Not everyone can. It can be a real culture shock for some.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:23 PM

3,277 posts, read 1,411,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
He will be discharged. There is no way they will send him back to BMT after something like this. They're still obligated to diagnose and treat him, and he might even be able to get VA Disability for the rest of his life since this happened in basic training.
Which is absolutely ridiculous. He can join the ranks of all the other mostly Air Force office workers that have "severe disabilities" including PTSD from working in an office all day.

Ya know, cuz all those unfunded liabilities are free.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 93 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Although the OP may want to reconsider if this is a person who she wants to spend the rest of her life with. It sounds like he has some serious problems. Most people make it through basic just fine.
Seriously? You do understand that statements like this is one of the reasons people don't seek the help they need. Former RT and let me tell you that 25% of people that go to BMT don't make it. Educate yourself and grow up.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,063,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomAF View Post
Seriously? You do understand that statements like this is one of the reasons people don't seek the help they need. Former RT and let me tell you that 25% of people that go to BMT don't make it. Educate yourself and grow up.
You're responding to a very old post, but from what I can gather online, the figure is closer to 8%. One out of every four recruits not making it through basic training/boot camp would be an extremely high number.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:20 PM

6,643 posts, read 3,666,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmomAF View Post

I just reread the OP and that guy has some serious psychological problems. A smart woman would realize that and move on to someone who is much more stable. He is not someone who is going to be successful in life. I did educate myself, using the GI Bill I earned. And I did grow up. Six years in the Marine Corps does that to a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues