Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:10 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
^^This. As I noted earlier, with 6 platoons per company, they would have 1 or 2 of those platoons be female specific. Training is technically integrated, but not co-ed like a college dorm.

I still think females should remain at 4th battalion because the females would be a distraction. Boot camp is a very serious matter and the less amount of distractions, the better. Heck, the only outside distraction we get are the hand written letters we receive. We don't get phone calls, as far as we know, the internet no longer exists, and we don't get any sort of free time like the other branches do during their basic. Our free time consists of maybe an hour a night which is used to prepare your uniform and shine your boots for the next day. If you are lucky, your body cooperates and you get to take a nice dump in peace during this hour without worry of being rushed.
Or as females, we had to use our "hour" to wash our hair. Shoot, during the tiny time we did see the males (that week before graduation where we worked outside, etc), we were a distraction to each other. As a more mature person now, it seems ridiculous but at the time, we were all in that young and pretty stupid place in our lives. In other words, easily distracted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 12:11 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Who said anything about co-ed platoons? I imagine they will do what everyone else does and have a female platoon in a male company. You don't need to double the number of DIs and, if you do need to mint a few extra DIs, so what?
Yeah, I was under the impression the platoons would be co-ed. Have to give more thought on company co-ed training.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Are you or were you in the US Marine Core recently? I'm curious to know how you can speak of what 10s of thousands of Marines feel. "Only" is a strong word and strictly implies 100% certainty.
Yes - not recently. Of course that was when a DI hat brim could touch a recruit without it being considered assault, so you're probably right. It's a weaker force now.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:35 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
In the U.S. Army, all women train at co-ed Basic Combat Training (BCT) facilities. It has been that way for years.

This thread is about the U.S. Marine Corps...
More than years. We had co-ed barracks at Ft. Sill, OK in the '70s. The barracks were built in an "H" shape, women on one side and men on the other. The 'crossbar' of the "H" housed the DI's office on the first floor and the Dayroom on the second. Pretty near to 4 decades now.

If the Marines aren't doing this yet...well, they're way behind. (Not that that's any surprise to us Army guys .)

Old 01-08-2016, 06:50 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
What would Chesty Puller think?

Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I don't want this thread to get political so please don't go there.

So, the SECNAV has ordered top brass to come up with a way to make boot camp co-ed. I don't think this is appropriate. I believe there was a study back in 97 when the Pentagon was discussing this and they found in the other branches by having basic training co-ed, there was less discipline, less cohesion and more distractions.

My thought is how would the implement this? I was 1BN Charlie company in boot camp, and the company was made up of 6 platoons. I guess they could just have one or two of these platoons be women only platoons. Come to think of it, minus PT, classroom situations, range and chow, you normally didn't see any of the other platoons. They might be able to integrate them enough to satisfy the SECNAV, but not be fully integrated so that it turns into a distraction. Of course, they would have to install curtains in all the barracks now.

What do you all think?
I think this applies to much of life.

Obviously women are in the workplace and that is not going to change. However I wonder if workers were more focused at their tasks without the opposite sex being a distraction?

I know for me going to HS, I went from a co-ed HS to an all boys HS. I was able to learn a heck of a lot more with far less distractions. I think the same likely applies to most other endeavors.

`

Old 01-09-2016, 06:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Hunterseat.

The Canadian Forces have three branches, Army, Navy, and Air Force.

Everyone goes through the 16 week Basic Military Qualification at St Jean, then they go on to their individual trade basic course, which can be up to a year, depending on exactly what trade they are going into.

Jim B.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:22 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Yes - not recently. Of course that was when a DI hat brim could touch a recruit without it being considered assault, so you're probably right. It's a weaker force now.
The Corps. have changed a lot since the old days, as well as most of the other branches. While in Iraq my Army BCT sent a battalion to support a Marine expeditionary force in trouble in Fallujah in 2004 and I didn't get the impression they thought only the Corps. and the SEALs were the only highly trained fighting forces left. Also during task force 121's mission to hunt down Saddam Hussein the Pentagon placed America's premier tier 1 team, Army's Delta Force in the lead.

All of the the Army's specialty units (Rangers, Delta, Special Forces, etc.) are highly trained and females in some basic training units doesn't affect this... There's probably like 7 support troops for every war-fighter now...

Old 01-09-2016, 09:25 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Yep. btdt.
EOD is a perfect example of a field where women are valuable. Not combat. But we're not talking about that. We're talking about boot camp.

WRTC Parris Island is a separate compound away from the onion heads. That's what our DI's called the men.
You should join RallyPoint.com. It's a much better forum for military discussions.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:01 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
The military should never be used for social experiments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues