U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 05:02 PM

296 posts, read 170,680 times

Advertisements

My W2 for 2015 has box 1 considerably higher than boxes 3 and 5. I tried Googling and couldn't find an answer, and for that matter the math on box 1 doesn't make sense no matter how I try and run it. Box 3 makes perfect sense: I take my base pay each month according to my LES x 12 = box 3. Box 1 is higher though, as in $3,830 higher. Google says that one box goes by calendar year and one goes by fiscal, but that still makes no sense as I was the same pay grade since April 2014 [prior to that I was 1 pay grade lower, so even that doesn't help this make sense]. I would have had to have gotten a promotion in 2015 for the # in box 1 to even began to make mathematical sense, and I didn't.

Even if I assume that the special pay I got in 2015 was somehow taxable for Federal income taxes but not FICA or Medicare the math still doesn't add up. The $3,830 difference divided by 12 months doesn't equal out to the amount of special pay I got in 2015.

I was hoping someone here has seen this before and could shed some light on it. I'll go talk to S1, post finance, ACS, etc next week and try and find out what this mystery $3,830 that I supposedly got paid was, and why it was never on my LES. It makes a difference of ~$1,000 on my tax return.

Edit to add: I think I may have answered my own question. It looks like they taxed me on my special pay in 2015 + 1.5 months of the special pay I got in 2014. I've gotten special pay before while stateside, but back then I was doing Traditional TSP whereas I switched to the Roth option while downrange in 2013, so I probably just never noticed before as I was offsetting it without realizing it.

Last edited by happygeek; 01-23-2016 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 04:30 PM

296 posts, read 170,680 times
I wasn't used to receiving much special pay outside a combat zone, and was doing Traditional TSP that was offsetting the small amount I'd received prior from Airborne status, hence my confusion. While Google didn't seem to have a good answer to "box 1 different than box 3 + military", it did answer the question of special pay being taxable (Taxability of Military Pay - Lawyers.com).

I've adjusted my TSP to offset for next year. Apologies for starting a thread too soon. I must have slept through the brief where they warn us that DFAS doesn't withhold taxes during the year to cover special pays.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:56 AM

1,038 posts, read 767,467 times
Bump/Hijack about DFAS and W-2s.

Wife worked as a civilian for the Dept. of Navy for 11 months. Midway through November, she started a new job in another state (stopping and starting with the pay periods) working for the V.A..

For example sake: She received one W-2 for $40k. Both jobs show up in DFAS as having worked the entire year. Going through the pay statements, they both show double paychecks for the end of November and beginning of December (1 Check 11/29 2 Check 11/29 etc.) She made $36k in the first state and $4k in the second state, so the W-2 is correct as to how much she made, but does DFAS just send out one W-2 for all Federal work or should she get separate statements for each department?

She is going to talk to the V.A. HR tomorrow to hash things out, but was looking for a quick leg-up as if this is normal.

Old Today, 07:30 PM

1,038 posts, read 767,467 times
Follow up:

Wife was told by HR that since both jobs used the same employer ID number, just the one W-2 is needed.

Old Today, 07:43 PM

24,823 posts, read 40,258,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Follow up:

Wife was told by HR that since both jobs used the same employer ID number, just the one W-2 is needed.
Here is some additional info: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/42...ile-separately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues