Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,144 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So here's the deal. I am a junior in college. After my best friend and myself have been having some serious problems about our futures and whether or not everything is going to be okay. We both agreed the navy or the airforce is something we could do. We both want to go into officer school, however we are thinking of enlisting before we apply to officer school. I spoke to a recruiter today and I opened up that I had been charged with Operation of a Vehicle After Underage Consumption when I was 20. I told him that I was under the legal limit, I did the 3 day stay in a hotel to avoid jail. I paid all fines and I actually just got off from probation. I disclosed to him that the 3 day hotel stay I listened and focused on what they had to say to me and I realize my mistake. I told him that at the time of my arrest, I did not realize how serious my actions were and that I was not thinking of how irresponsible what I was doing could be. After I shared this with him he offered to speak on my behalf for a morality waiver. He told me that because I am showing that I have learned from my mistakes, I was under the legal limit that he would be more than happy to speak on my behalf, and have his superior speak on my behalf that there may be a chance I would get this overlooked. That is of course if the decision makers will hear me out. I am a good student, and the president and founder of a club at my university. I want to be a better leader and someone who is responsible and can protect the nation and its citizens. I just want to know if he was getting my hopes up or he genuinely sees my ability and character as something they want in the airforce. I am aware that they are the most rigorous and that they have so many other candidates to chose from. I am just hoping that he wasn't trying to get my hopes up for nothing. I promised my best friends girlfriend I'd look out for him if we got to be in the same unit.

- isaa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 08:14 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Is there a question? You can get a waiver for this in some circumstances. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2016, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Is there a question? You can get a waiver for this in some circumstances. Good luck!
Yeah, I am just wondering how it will go, and realistically what to expect. I am super aware that unlike myself, there are so many other people that they have to choose from. I also am hopeful that the recruiter even spoke up about making sure I could be recruited. It seems to me that he could see potential in me and wants me to be in the air force (because I do obviously or else I wouldn't be telling him I screwed up and I've learned). I am trying to come up with how I am valuable otherwise, and make to to emphasize the severity of the misdemeanor is significantly less than what a true DUI is. I'm trying to play on my strengths such as, I am strong, I can run a mile and a half in 12 minutes, I have shown I have a high potential to perform well on the ASVAB, and I am graduating within the next year with an undergraduate degree so I can go to officer school, which I firmly intend to do so. I am the founder and president a club at my university, which gives me experience in being a leader, organizing events and teaching/supporting others. I also have been employed for a over a year now with the same company. I have no financial debts. I am someone who holds himself as moral, honorable, caring, and strong. I want to be the best that I can be despite this minor set back I had in my life two years ago. I have a lot of strengths despite my OVUAC. It was a huge learning lesson in my life, and I do not think it is any reason to hold me back from being a valuable soldier for the Air Force.

- Isaa

Old 04-23-2016, 09:56 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
You won't know until it happens. The Air Force seemingly has this magic 8 ball they shake and sometimes it comes up in your favor sometimes it doesn't.

I was a AECP candidate during PBD 720 where the Air Force, people told me not to be surprised if they came back and said they didn't need anymore officers. Luckily everything went trough.

Fast forward 10 years, I'm a OE-3 and a 21MX Maintenance Officer and it didn't seem like we were going to be cut. Everyone told me, you are fine , you don't fit the profile. In june 2011 I got an e-mail from AFPC stating MX21s were overmanned and I was selected to leave or crosstrain. So I put in my cross training paperwork. Everyone said your a shoe in to cross train. In August I received an e-mail from AFPC. Cross train denied you are being separated on Nov 1, 2011 with 1 year of base pay. I remember just sitting there almost laughing. Like WTF? I have never had a single issue in my military career I was a superstar by all accounts. Fast burner, firewall 5s. How could this happen?

http://www.afpc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123277705

My point is your can analyze it til you pass out, but in the end AFPC has no rules.

I think it's a long shot personally.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:15 PM

263 posts, read 437,931 times
In theory, the recruiter should be able to pretty quickly find out whether that past criminal issue is a "show-stopper" or not. But on the other hand, everyone will tell you to not trust a recruiter unless their promises or guarantees are put into writing, and you've checked the fine print.

The concern I would have is whether the criminal history is minor enough to not be a problem with the USAF accepting you as an enlisted recruit, but major enough to prevent you from receiving a security clearance in the future, or would prevent the USAF from possibly inviting you to OCS & giving you a commission.

My guess is that because you were under 21 and (let's assume...) it's the sole derogatory information, they'll write it off as youthful indiscretion that you've learned from, and because you readily admit it (i.e. can't be blackmailed about it), it shouldn't be much of a security-clearance matter that needs any major adjudication.

Doesn't seem like you have much to lose my signing the enlistment papers, but there's no guarantee you'll
eventually be able to get a commission (become an officer).

Old 04-26-2016, 07:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
A morals waiver automatically means we can't slot you for any job that comes with a top secret security clearance. It doesn't mean you can't get a clearance later, but we can't be sure, so we have to give you a different job. Your recruiter will walk you through the process. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2016, 12:43 PM

534 posts, read 1,170,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
You won't know until it happens. The Air Force seemingly has this magic 8 ball they shake and sometimes it comes up in your favor sometimes it doesn't.

I was a AECP candidate during PBD 720 where the Air Force, people told me not to be surprised if they came back and said they didn't need anymore officers. Luckily everything went trough.

Fast forward 10 years, I'm a OE-3 and a 21MX Maintenance Officer and it didn't seem like we were going to be cut. Everyone told me, you are fine , you don't fit the profile. In june 2011 I got an e-mail from AFPC stating MX21s were overmanned and I was selected to leave or crosstrain. So I put in my cross training paperwork. Everyone said your a shoe in to cross train. In August I received an e-mail from AFPC. Cross train denied you are being separated on Nov 1, 2011 with 1 year of base pay. I remember just sitting there almost laughing. Like WTF? I have never had a single issue in my military career I was a superstar by all accounts. Fast burner, firewall 5s. How could this happen?

Air Force releases major, captain reduction-in-force board results

My point is your can analyze it til you pass out, but in the end AFPC has no rules.

I think it's a long shot personally.
OT, I know, but this seems like an utter waste of a good officer, not to mention taking away 10 years of someone's life that they thought they were putting towards a military retirement.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up doing, Andy? Was there any option to go reserve full-time, transfer to another service, or anything else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues