U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:02 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,148,228 times

Advertisements

And, after 47 years (on the 28th of May) I still remember my Company Commander's name, MMC(SS) H. K. Wiggens. Thank you, sir, for starting my career off right and turning a green Indiana boy into a useful service member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 AM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
222 posts, read 154,981 times
I too remember my boot camp Company Commander's name, MMC Grey. Joining the military is a great move for many people and you have every right to be proud. I enlisted in the Navy Nuclear Power Program when I was 21 (1981) after a few years of college and served on a submarine. I most likely would not have thought this at the time, but it was the one of the best moves I ever did (right behind marrying my wife) and would do it all over again. If he picks the right training, he will be set for life if he elects to get out when his enlistment is up and if he stays, full retirement in 20 years is still young enough for a second career.

I had a great post Navy career in the power industry and retired at age 57. I doubt I would have done as well without the life experiences and training I received in the Navy, not to mentioned all the great friends he will have for the rest of his life. Best of luck to him.

Lou

Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 AM

5,537 posts, read 11,998,314 times
I spent 20+ years in the Navy and it was a fantastic career. I was able to get a MS degree in Engineering and spent another 20 years after retirement from the Navy working in a civilian career. Best of luck to your son. Tell him to take advantage of every opportunity to get an education/trade in the Navy. I now have a military pension, civilian pension, SS, and military healthcare.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:17 PM

10,444 posts, read 10,310,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
My son is 23. He has been working as a bartender and marketing rep for local beer makers.
His father's family has a very large business that he could work for but is not interested in trucking.
He told me this afternoon when we met for lunch that he is going to join the Navy.
This was shocking news to me and I felt overwhelmed with emotions.
I am proud of him for making a choice in a solid career and education. And at the same time I dont want him to join the service.
He has already talked to the recruiter.
He said the field he wants to study he would not go into combat.
But if he is out on a big ship and they get called to combat he will be right there in danger.
I wanted to give him something special to take with him. Any suggestions? I have no idea what they are allowed to take to boot camp.
Jewelry? Photos? Can they keep their cell phone? Can they get online?
Thanks.
I do not know now days, I went in before cell phones and the Internet were so popular (early 90's).

I only took a change of clothes, tooth brush and paste, a folder with some papers, cash, and my drivers license. Boot camp gave everything else I needed. I would not even have taken a change of clothes, but I had to stay a day in a hotel while in transit to boot.

When first getting to boot, they hand you some kit, equivalent of a travel bag with like soap and stuff in it along with your boot sweats before you get your uniform items. Then within the first few days or so, everyone gets these chits and goes to a store where they can buy things, but certain things only until later in boot where you can buy more things.

Ships are not the only thing in the Navy, though chances are high he will be on one. Think of it as an industrial environment like a factory.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:48 PM

33,017 posts, read 34,713,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Ships are not the only thing in the Navy, though chances are high he will be on one. Think of it as an industrial environment like a factory.
Excellent point, and one surprisingly rarely made.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Excellent point, and one surprisingly rarely made.
I got a good laugh when some friends volunteered for duty in Australia. The facility they were stationed at was so far from civilization that the 'roos came in by road train.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:10 PM

33,017 posts, read 34,713,813 times
My spouse has mostly served in deserts. We also have Seabee friends who have ONLY served in deserts.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My spouse has mostly served in deserts. We also have Seabee friends who have ONLY served in deserts.
Ask him what they use the camel for.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:12 PM

13,819 posts, read 23,444,830 times
Based on the location of each poster...it is clear to see that this country is full of Seamen!

My dad is a WWII Navy Veteran, and age 90, still speaks highly of his experiences with The US Navy.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:17 PM

868 posts, read 860,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Good for him!

I wish him well and following seas.

One thing I will note, however, is that fighting is why we have a military and if anyone is joining expecting never, ever, having to fight, then they are in the wrong job. If in anything else, he is going to be trained to fight fires; that's a given in the Navy.

I agree with the nail kit for it is the next best thing to a Swiss Army knife but he may find himself in a command where non petty officers are not allowed to have knives.
A Sailor not allowed to have a knife? How things have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues