U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:56 PM

4,295 posts, read 6,815,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I wish him well and following seas.
Just an FYI...

The use in the Navy is to wish someone "fair winds and following seas".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 09:15 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,372,823 times
Preferable to "BOHICA"

Old 04-30-2016, 10:59 PM

24 posts, read 10,234 times
Congratulations to your son and to you for raising a young man who does not want to lead an aimless life...hopefully this will be the positive experience he anticipates...

One thing is for certain--after this he will be a different person in many ways. Hopefully he will be open to learning/using discipline, patience and team work, and humility. I know it seems like most young people already spend so much time in school activities or sports that they would already have them, but as a teacher I have seen many students who use groups as either a crutch or a foil...not to say your son does. But this time will be a testing period for him--and maybe that is something he is looking for as well.

Suggestions---your son is an adult. Discuss with him making a power of attorney with yourself or his father named, a medical directive, and a will. Not to wish bad luck--but because young people think they are immortal.
Probably you discussed how he will take care of his mail and his bills.

Googled to see any specifics that other people might have mentioned and found website called beforejoiningthemilitary.com
Seems like it has some fairly insightful commentary from someone who has been in the Navy...
Might want to check it out and see if your son would benefit from reading it...
One of the topics is about recruiters and their salesmanship, another about the post 9/11 GI bill Basics for incoming recruits, how to adapt to the experience in general, lure of tattoos...
Thought parts I read were interesting...

Old 05-01-2016, 05:58 AM

6,700 posts, read 3,458,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
A Sailor not allowed to have a knife? How things have changed.
That was in the late Cold War at one command; I don't know if it was true at other commands. I only remember it because once it was pointed (no puns intended) out to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Just an FYI...

The use in the Navy is to wish someone "fair winds and following seas".
Shrug. Been out for over 25 years; I don't necessarily remember such sayings completely......and my farewell plaques are packed away somewhere.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,075,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
A Sailor not allowed to have a knife? How things have changed.
Other than boatswains mates sailors don't really have a need for a knife on their belt. Marlinespike seamanship is less and less necessary.

On the other hand I used to carry a 6 inch adjustable wrench on my keychain. It was the mark of an Engineering rating.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:42 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,510,109 times
I'm not in the Navy, never was in the Navy but I think there are a few things that apply to all services:

-do not make a decision on whether he wants to stay for 20 or do 1 term and out, it's too early to think about that though the misery he might endure at Great Lakes will make him think 1 term and out.
-do not delay in going to Great Lakes, he doesn't want to be there in the winter, I'm from Chicago and know very well about the winters in northern Illinois and especially off of Lake Michigan.
-use Tuition Assistance, do not use the GI Bill until he gets out. Take classes while he is on active duty. A class here or there while slow is still forward progress.
-learn leadership skills even when not in a leadership experience.
-I do not believe the military teaches you discipline, it merely brings out the discipline already inside of an individual. Let the military bring it out of him.
-travel when he can, see the world on the Navy's dime.
-go to any schools he is offered.
-create a resume, an "I Love Me" book with all of his records and schools. Keep that resume constantly updated.
-make connections with people, veterans are in all sorts of positions of authority when he wants to get out and have a civilian career.
-save his money.
-whatever he is tasked to do, even if it's not his job, do it well. If they ask him to be the paper shredder, be the best damn paper shredder there is.

Remember, he will get out of his what he puts into it. Garbage in, garbage out.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,075,286 times
I lived in Indiana when I joined up. I knew better than to be near the Lakes in the winter.

BTW, I was sworn in to active duty 14 hours after I graduated from high school. You might say I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:09 AM

4,295 posts, read 6,815,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I'm not in the Navy, never was in the Navy but I think there are a few things that apply to all services:

-do not make a decision on whether he wants to stay for 20 or do 1 term and out, it's too early to think about that though the misery he might endure at Great Lakes will make him think 1 term and out.
-do not delay in going to Great Lakes, he doesn't want to be there in the winter, I'm from Chicago and know very well about the winters in northern Illinois and especially off of Lake Michigan.
-use Tuition Assistance, do not use the GI Bill until he gets out. Take classes while he is on active duty. A class here or there while slow is still forward progress.
-learn leadership skills even when not in a leadership experience.
-I do not believe the military teaches you discipline, it merely brings out the discipline already inside of an individual. Let the military bring it out of him.
-travel when he can, see the world on the Navy's dime.
-go to any schools he is offered.
-create a resume, an "I Love Me" book with all of his records and schools. Keep that resume constantly updated.
-make connections with people, veterans are in all sorts of positions of authority when he wants to get out and have a civilian career.
-save his money.
-whatever he is tasked to do, even if it's not his job, do it well. If they ask him to be the paper shredder, be the best damn paper shredder there is.

Remember, he will get out of his what he puts into it. Garbage in, garbage out.

Great post and advice!

Old 05-01-2016, 02:16 PM

859 posts, read 826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Other than boatswains mates sailors don't really have a need for a knife on their belt. Marlinespike seamanship is less and less necessary.

On the other hand I used to carry a 6 inch adjustable wrench on my keychain. It was the mark of an Engineering rating.
Are you saying the Navy isn't all about Iron Men and Wooden Ships anymore? Time flies.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:45 PM

7,202 posts, read 5,995,845 times
Quote:
Make sure he picks something that he will like to do for the next 4 or 6 years and maybe a career but plan on getting out after 4 or 6 years. That means don't waste your time with something that won't have a value after you get out of the Navy. Start building a skill and career base is a good advantage for joining the service.
Rate this post positively
For 90% of new recruits that choice will be made by the Navy, after numerous tests. You can ask for something, but the Navy will decide if you get it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues