U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:41 AM

780 posts, read 387,562 times

Advertisements

My husband joined a couple of years ago. The recruiter told him he can do computers/cryptology, or something in the field of computers. He joined because he was very optimistic about getting into that field since he already has an IT degree. He did bootcamp, when it was almost finish, there was an opening for communications. He can take that for his A school or wait and stay undesignated, until something comes up. I believe you're sent to whatever is open or you can choose to take what is open or stay undesignated. At least that's what happened to him.

In regards to bootcamp itself, write your son letters as constantly as you can. My husband asked for letters as often as I could send it to him, but I didn't hear from him until a month later. Towards the end of it all, they may get a chance to use the pay phone for a few minutes, that's if someone in their group didn't do something stupid and privileges for everyone gets taken away (it happened to him).

While in A school, it was common for my husband to have 2 hours of sleep a night. But, he was a bit used to it already because he said during boot camp, towards their last days, they had to do something where they were not allowed to sleep for 2 days. It was some sort of a training for something, I can't remember. He said he learned to fall asleep standing up, just with his eyes closed. Also, in the few years I've known him, I have never heard him complain...in fact, he hates it when people complain...until the Navy broke him down lol. He then had something to complain about...but he'd only vent to me. Point is, it can be pretty challenging physically and emotionally.

One thing for sure, being in the Navy helped him pay off his huge student loan and allowed him to save up a lot of money in a very short period of time. I mean, he isn't earning a lot, but since he had nothing to spend his money on (esp. when he was deployed), most of his earnings are being saved. Though his mates apparently blow out their money every time they landed somewhere. I guess it just depends how you manage your money.

Best of luck to your son! It'll be tough, but it's something he'll never regret doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 PM

185 posts, read 101,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
My son is 23. He has been working as a bartender and marketing rep for local beer makers.
His father's family has a very large business that he could work for but is not interested in trucking.
He told me this afternoon when we met for lunch that he is going to join the Navy.
This was shocking news to me and I felt overwhelmed with emotions.
I am proud of him for making a choice in a solid career and education. And at the same time I dont want him to join the service.
He has already talked to the recruiter.
He said the field he wants to study he would not go into combat.
But if he is out on a big ship and they get called to combat he will be right there in danger.
I wanted to give him something special to take with him. Any suggestions? I have no idea what they are allowed to take to boot camp.
Jewelry? Photos? Can they keep their cell phone? Can they get online?

Thanks.
I can go by my son going in 8 years ago,and is still happily active duty. Take NOTHING with him.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:05 PM

9,261 posts, read 16,548,813 times
Your son will be older then most recruits but that's ok. I joined the army when I was 21 & we put our clothes in a storage room in our billets. My 2nd cousin wants to join the navy & he is 21. I wish your son the best & he should do just fine.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:55 AM

624 posts, read 379,392 times
Your son is 23. Cut the umbilical cord already. Let him grow up.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:06 PM

2,110 posts, read 1,730,615 times
The one thing I remember being given to me when I left was a letter my mom wrote to me. She gave it to me at the airport (this is when families could go to the gate with you) right before I boarded my flight.

I remember some of what it said, but I wish I had kept it.

I bet your son would also like that.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:18 PM

5,922 posts, read 12,078,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I wanted to give him something special to take with him. Any suggestions? I have no idea what they are allowed to take to boot camp.
Jewelry? Photos? Can they keep their cell phone? Can they get online?
Thanks.
Did you get "the box" back yet?

When we got our son's box recently (he shipped off at the beginning of this month), it literally had EVERYTHING in it. And it was smelly. I don't know how long he had worn those clothes/shoes/socks/underwear before they had him strip down and put everything in the box.... and I don't know how long all that stuff sat in some hot warehouse somewhere waiting to be shipped home. But oh man... was there a stink when we opened the box!

So if you haven't received yours yet - there's your warning. You might want to open it up outside or something. Phew!

Anyway - we were instructed not to send anything to our recruits while at boot camp except cards or letters.

Also, be careful what you write or send in the letters, as they can get in trouble for certain things. No printing or stickers or anything on the envelope except the address and return address and stamp. No racy photos or jokes. Just keep it simple, encouraging, and clean. Stickers on the letter or card itself is fine, just not on the envelope.

As for the PIR gradution... there's a TON of info online. Just google and you'll find lots of good info. You can also post direct messages through the Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NavyRecruit...mmand/?fref=ts

That is a sweet resource for us moms, whose hearts are just full of all kinds of emotions when our young adult sons finally leave the nest and ship off like this, because they post photos of the recruits while they are in boot camp. So you might be able to catch a glimpse of your son there. I'm keeping a sharp eye out for mine!

I'm writing letters to my son about two times a week. His recruiter and all info I've read about how to support a recruit seems to say that letters of encouragement are much appreciated.

At PIR, I'm planning on giving my son a coin that has his ship name on it. If you've received your son's boot camp address, a quick google will inform you of what ship his division was assigned to during boot camp. I found a coin for my son's ship, so I got it for him. He likes to collect little trinkets and things like that and a coin is a small, lightweight item that will be easy for him to keep in his wallet or stash in his locker.

Anyway - feel free to message me privately if you want. There was a website called navy for moms but I don't think you can sign up with it anymore.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 PM

24 posts, read 11,140 times
Just wondered how things were going for the OP's son--
If he felt he made a good choice and was happy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues