U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 03:29 PM

743 posts, read 866,156 times

Advertisements

My son is 23. He has been working as a bartender and marketing rep for local beer makers.
His father's family has a very large business that he could work for but is not interested in trucking.
He told me this afternoon when we met for lunch that he is going to join the Navy.
This was shocking news to me and I felt overwhelmed with emotions.
I am proud of him for making a choice in a solid career and education. And at the same time I dont want him to join the service.
He has already talked to the recruiter.
He said the field he wants to study he would not go into combat.
But if he is out on a big ship and they get called to combat he will be right there in danger.
I wanted to give him something special to take with him. Any suggestions? I have no idea what they are allowed to take to boot camp.
Jewelry? Photos? Can they keep their cell phone? Can they get online?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 03:57 PM

22,732 posts, read 34,323,031 times
I went to basic training over 49 years ago, and that was Army. I had a family picture in my wallet... No one took it away from me. No one told me I could not have it.

After getting issued our uniforms, we were given a box to pack our stuff to mail home. That included all our civilian clothes.

They should get briefed on what they can not take.

Good luck to your son, you most likely see a good change in him.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,072,836 times
https://www.navycs.com/blogs/2008/06...navy-boot-camp

Old 04-29-2016, 05:11 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,072,836 times
He should also take a small nail trim kit. Nail clipper/toenail clipper, nail file, etc. Good idea to put the items in a baggie and leave the case at home until he gets back.

He'll get his pay direct deposited, make sure he has bank info. If he doesn't already have a bank account they'll set him up with the Navy Federal Credit Union. It's a good choice for a sailor, IMHO and experience.

Have him get a current prescription and a spare pair of eyeglasses that can be mailed to him in need. I spent two weeks with one lens in my glasses back in the day. It was annoying.

It used to be that you could send him a box of goodies, cookies, etc. He won't have room to store them, so they'll melt away quickly. Individually packed cookies work in that situation.

Oh, and ask his recruiter if they still teach from the Blue Jacket's Manual. If so and he has the time to get one, I'd advise reading it before getting to camp. Puts him a lap ahead with regard to study time, and time is precious in boot camp.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:16 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,370,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
Congrats to your son. What rating is he interested in?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:24 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,928,781 times
In modern combat, the Navy ship is a pretty safe place. Some jobs on a ship can be dangerous but not much more than driving on public streets.

They don't allow personal items in boot camp. They can receive letters and occasionally make phone calls to home.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:41 PM

32,565 posts, read 33,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
My son is 23. He has been working as a bartender and marketing rep for local beer makers.
His father's family has a very large business that he could work for but is not interested in trucking.
He told me this afternoon when we met for lunch that he is going to join the Navy.
This was shocking news to me and I felt overwhelmed with emotions.
I am proud of him for making a choice in a solid career and education. And at the same time I dont want him to join the service.
He has already talked to the recruiter.
But if he is out on a big ship and they get called to combat he will be right there in danger.
I wanted to give him something special to take with him. Any suggestions? I have no idea what they are allowed to take to boot camp.
Jewelry? Photos? Can they keep their cell phone? Can they get online?
Thanks.
At RTC at Great Lakes, they are allowed to take limited personal effects, but have very limited access to them during basic training. They mostly stay locked up. He'll be allowed a bit more access after boot camp, when he goes to his initial specialized training, but that's only slightly less strict and set up so that sailors "phase up" and earn more individual autonomy as they go. Cell phone use, etc. is still really limited, but there is more freedom than at boot camp. Tokens may be better gifts for after boot camp graduation.

(Source: spouse, who's instructed at Great Lakes)

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 04-29-2016 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 PM

6,699 posts, read 3,452,534 times
Good for him!

I wish him well and following seas.

One thing I will note, however, is that fighting is why we have a military and if anyone is joining expecting never, ever, having to fight, then they are in the wrong job. If in anything else, he is going to be trained to fight fires; that's a given in the Navy.

I agree with the nail kit for it is the next best thing to a Swiss Army knife but he may find himself in a command where non petty officers are not allowed to have knives.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:16 PM

4,289 posts, read 6,807,859 times
The Recruiter can give him a list of items he can take. Don't take anything not on the list or he'll be shipping it home.

They don't lock up anything...if he isn't allowed to keep it/use it they ship it home. Whatever he is allowed to keep he'll keep in his locker and have access to it whenever he has free time. He can't keep a cell phone, won't be able to get online and will call only a couple times (from a pay phone) while in bootcamp. Photo's are ok.

My son went to Pensacola for A School and he was able to have his cell phone and laptop from day one. Matter of fact, we gave them to him at the airport in Chicago as he was flying out after bootcamp.

Congrats to your son...I spent 26 years in the Navy and have a son in the Navy who's been in for four years.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 AM

3,992 posts, read 3,711,665 times
Just take very little to boot camp. It is not very long and a pain to keep track of that small stuff. Clothes, tooth paste, that's about it. It's not summer camp.

Make sure he picks something that he will like to do for the next 4 or 6 years and maybe a career but plan on getting out after 4 or 6 years. That means don't waste your time with something that won't have a value after you get out of the Navy. Start building a skill and career base is a good advantage for joining the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues