U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:21 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,458,035 times

Advertisements

A couple of times I went from San Diego, California, to Pusan, Korea, at 12 knots (13.1 mph). I learned to use the long voyages to read and study. The microcosm of a ship at sea can be great for people who don't need someone else to entertain them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 01:11 PM

110 posts, read 81,295 times
been in for 3.5 years. only 6 months left. stationed in europe and traveled 17 countries, jumped out of airplanes/helicopters in 5 different countries and earned two foreign parachutist badges. Its had its ups and downs but definitely a good part of my life and something i will never forget.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:45 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
This thread is for all military veterans. What was life like for you in the military ? Please include your branch of service. Thanks.
Overall it was okay.

I served as an Electronics Tech in the US Navy's Silent Service. I served for 6 years and got out. Then 4 years later I went back in. I hit mandatory retirement at 20 years.

I did 4 years on the USS George C. Marshall SSBN 654. We made one patrol out of Rota Spain, five patrols out of Holy Loch Scotland, then a year in the shipyard for over-haul. During my time on the Marshall we saw one liberty port, Lisbon Portugal.

After college I went back in and served on the USS Simon Lake AS-33, homeported in Holy Loch, for 3 years. Living in Scotland was a lot of fun. The command where I worked was horrible.

Then I attended a Police Academy and did Law Enforcement duties at Subase Groton for 2 years.

I went to the USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 for 2 years, homeported in Charleston SC and made a few patrols. One time we stopped at St. Thomas, Charlotte Amalie.

After that I went to the USS Alaska SSBN 732 for 3 years, out of Subase Bangor for a few patrols.

Then a second 3-year Law Enforcement tour this time in Naples Italy and Kosovo.

I completed 17 FBM deterrent patrols and I saw four liberty ports: Lisbon, St Thomas, St Marys Georgia, and San Diego Ca.

I made a fair amount of money. All but the first 2 years were tax-free, I did a lot of investing, and I retired at 42 years old.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:54 PM

10,388 posts, read 7,467,722 times
9yrs active USMC and 20yrs Air Force Nat'l Guard. I wish I had stayed in the Corps. Retirement at 41 would have been better than waiting for 60.

But I love the camaraderie of the military. There are cool things about each base no matter what.

And now I like walking into a bunch of Navy youngsters and knowing what to say to get their attention! (I work with them - they can smell fear - gotta keep them on edge) LOL

Old 06-03-2016, 10:58 PM

345 posts, read 290,411 times
Retired USN 1961-1981.
I have never regretted my time in the service and would do it again in a heart beat. Sometimes I wish I had stayed for 30+ but then stop and think what would be different now....considerable difference so I made the right choice to hang it up at 20.
However, I was not married (married in 86') Sea duty is tough on a family. In 20 years I had 4 years of shore duty the rest was sea duty..... Sailors belong aboard ships, ships belong at sea.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:52 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,458,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
Retired USN 1961-1981.
I have never regretted my time in the service and would do it again in a heart beat. Sometimes I wish I had stayed for 30+ but then stop and think what would be different now....considerable difference so I made the right choice to hang it up at 20.
However, I was not married (married in 86') Sea duty is tough on a family. In 20 years I had 4 years of shore duty the rest was sea duty..... Sailors belong aboard ships, ships belong at sea.
My time ashore was important enough that I was still doing it in CivLant until I reached age 65. I don't dis the guys who have jobs that are shore-based, they provide services for the Fleet or they wouldn't be there.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:15 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
My time ashore was important enough that I was still doing it in CivLant until I reached age 65. I don't dis the guys who have jobs that are shore-based, they provide services for the Fleet or they wouldn't be there.
I certainly don't knock that for such was one of two motivational speeches I used when I was doing security duties.

Ie, the simpler one being that we patrol in the housing area to protect the service member's family so they don't worry and can concentrate on their job.

As far as to what generated this discussion, differences of opinion.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:35 PM

2,291 posts, read 1,416,928 times
It probably saved my life. 21+ years. Most good, some crap. Great people that I loved. I still miss the camaraderie today.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 PM

4,549 posts, read 8,004,288 times
Retired after 26 years active duty in the Navy. It was a very challenging and stressful life but a life I look back on with great fondness. I don't know if I would do everything the same if I did it over again but I would definitely do it again.

My son is currently serving on active duty in the Navy.

I was in the military for 26 years and have been a civilian now for almost 5 years and I can say without a doubt that civilian life is 100 times easier than military life.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:32 AM

17,895 posts, read 9,831,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

I was in the military for 26 years and have been a civilian now for almost 5 years and I can say without a doubt that civilian life is 100 times easier than military life.
I was about to dispute that unequivocally, but you did say you were in the Navy, and I admit that sailors work pretty hard.

But IMO, there is a hardness about civilian life that I did not experience in the military. It's not a physical hardness--people in the soldiering business take the measure of physical hardness. In general civilian culture there is a philosophical hardness, a social cannibalism, that is not part of the military cultural ideal. In general civilian culture, there is no ideal of being anyone's wingman, civilians are not taught that watching someone else's six is a normal part of one's duty. Civilians are not taught duty..."duty" is a bad word in the civilian culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or