U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:21 AM

2,790 posts, read 2,265,524 times

Advertisements

I'm 28F, Chinese American, have my masters, going to work in advertising/marketing, but I haven't done too well in school. At best I am mediocre at what I do. I'm starting my real job soon in the real world so I'm going to see if advertising/marketing is or isn't for me in a year. In a year I will be 29/30.

If I feel this isn't the path for me I'm thinking of joining the Air Force or the Navy. I've tried my hand at a lot of careers but never felt I could excel at anything. I'm kind of a jack of all trades. I have always loved languages, especially Chinese. I wanted to be a translator but it just didn't happen. I think somewhere along the way a bad emotional experience happened to me and I lost the motivation and passion I used to have. Instead of going out and exploring the world at 18, I stayed home and let my parents instill fear in me of failing at everything I wanted to do. They always believed in playing it safe and I let that myth affect me. Now I feel like an empty soul coasting along. I have also wanted to travel the world but never got to do that.

I feel like I'm getting to an age where I'll be too old to keep starting over. It was OK to explore a lot of things when I was in my early 20s but now I just want a career and to stick with it. I just don't want to be in my 40s/50s and work in retail or as a waitress. At least if I join the military I will have a pension and health insurance for life.

I also don't know if I will get married or if I want kids. I'm almost 30 so I've dated a bit. I haven't felt I could just be with someone and have them exist with me in the long term. I get annoyed of my dates easily. The ones I can stand doesn't take me seriously. This isn't the relationship forum so I don't want to dwell on it but I want something stable that's going to be with me for a long time. I thought it would be my career but I don't even have one yet.

I have never thought I could rely on anyone to be there for me through the good and bad times. I was there for my best friend of 15 years through the worst time of her life but when I helped her get over that I no longer existed to her. When people are old they have their family, their spouse, and their kids... my family, although they love me, never seemed to get me. I'm the only one who has gotten my Masters and they're questioning why I'm not making 6 figures yet. My older brother is always in competition with me, trying to one up me and comparing salary with me. The women I know who don't have a career have a husband, and the ones who don't have either have their family to help them. Well, I don't feel I have any of those and having a career is the most reliable thing out of those mentioned. One of the reasons I chose advertising was because I heard there were long hours and you would practically be married to your job. That's definitely something I want since I don't see much husbanding or having a family going on.

At least I will have an income and health insurance from the military to take care of me. I don't mean to sound bitter here but I have felt abandoned by the people closest to me and whom I thought I could trust. I hear a lot of people in the military have felt abandoned. Maybe I'll be around people who can relate.

These are just thoughts. My parents are traditional and would probably freak if I joined. They think I should get married and have kids. The other thing is I don't want to rely on a man for anything. So if I fail miserably in advertising I'm going to join a branch for the reasons above. I don't feel I have much I'm living for. At least I will feel I'm doing something noble. Would these be bad reasons to join? I'm thinking of speaking to a recruiter.

Last edited by GummyShark; 06-17-2016 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:13 AM

650 posts, read 405,629 times
I would speak to a recruiter ASAP and figure out what options you have available to you. Personally, having served, I would not think of a military career (especially if you are thinking about doing 20 years - minimum requirement for retirement) as an 'easy' way out. No matter the branch or MOS, you will encounter challenging situations, conditions, etc. In my opinion, if you are realistic about what to expect and truly want to do it, then go ahead. Bottom line is go talk with a recruiter (officer side since you got a degree) ASAP and not wait and count on this as a possible option.

There are plenty of married folks in the military, believe it or not, even with multiple kids and they make it work just fine. It is a rewarding career, just don't think of it as a 9 to 5 with major benefits and no sacrifices.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:59 AM

39 posts, read 27,046 times
OP, it's definitely worth checking in to. 29/30 is a little late to join, but not unheard of. Just accept that you will be around people much younger than you (for the most part), except for people with higher rank, for the first few years starting out. Some people excel in a more structured setting such as the military. You can also manage to have a lot of new experience with places & situations. Even if you don't end up making it a career, it's a valuable life experience that can open a lot of doors. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2016, 11:13 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,600,371 times
My "retirement" was paid for in body parts (most of which I didn't really need after all). If that disturbs you don't join the military.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:35 AM

5,148 posts, read 3,592,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I'm 28F, Chinese American, have my masters, going to work in advertising/marketing, but I haven't done too well in school. At best I am mediocre at what I do. I'm starting my real job soon in the real world so I'm going to see if advertising/marketing is or isn't for me in a year. In a year I will be 29/30.

If I feel this isn't the path for me I'm thinking of joining the Air Force or the Navy. I've tried my hand at a lot of careers but never felt I could excel at anything. I'm kind of a jack of all trades. I have always loved languages, especially Chinese. I wanted to be a translator but it just didn't happen. I think somewhere along the way a bad emotional experience happened to me and I lost the motivation and passion I used to have. Instead of going out and exploring the world at 18, I stayed home and let my parents instill fear in me of failing at everything I wanted to do. They always believed in playing it safe and I let that myth affect me. Now I feel like an empty soul coasting along. I have also wanted to travel the world but never got to do that.

I feel like I'm getting to an age where I'll be too old to keep starting over. It was OK to explore a lot of things when I was in my early 20s but now I just want a career and to stick with it. I just don't want to be in my 40s/50s and work in retail or as a waitress. At least if I join the military I will have a pension and health insurance for life.

I also don't know if I will get married or if I want kids. I'm almost 30 so I've dated a bit. I haven't felt I could just be with someone and have them exist with me in the long term. I get annoyed of my dates easily. The ones I can stand doesn't take me seriously. This isn't the relationship forum so I don't want to dwell on it but I want something stable that's going to be with me for a long time. I thought it would be my career but I don't even have one yet.

I have never thought I could rely on anyone to be there for me through the good and bad times. I was there for my best friend of 15 years through the worst time of her life but when I helped her get over that I no longer existed to her. When people are old they have their family, their spouse, and their kids... my family, although they love me, never seemed to get me. I'm the only one who has gotten my Masters and they're questioning why I'm not making 6 figures yet. My older brother is always in competition with me, trying to one up me and comparing salary with me. The women I know who don't have a career have a husband, and the ones who don't have either have their family to help them. Well, I don't feel I have any of those and having a career is the most reliable thing out of those mentioned. One of the reasons I chose advertising was because I heard there were long hours and you would practically be married to your job. That's definitely something I want since I don't see much husbanding or having a family going on.

At least I will have an income and health insurance from the military to take care of me. I don't mean to sound bitter here but I have felt abandoned by the people closest to me and whom I thought I could trust. I hear a lot of people in the military have felt abandoned. Maybe I'll be around people who can relate.

These are just thoughts. My parents are traditional and would probably freak if I joined. They think I should get married and have kids. The other thing is I don't want to rely on a man for anything. So if I fail miserably in advertising I'm going to join a branch for the reasons above. I don't feel I have much I'm living for. At least I will feel I'm doing something noble. Would these be bad reasons to join? I'm thinking of speaking to a recruiter.
I served many years ago and back then, if you discovered you didn't really like the military, getting out was not as simple as just telling the boss, "I quit". There were consequences and I don't think any were good. If you do enlist, make sure you are willing to serve.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:53 PM

25,214 posts, read 41,205,615 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of speaking to a recruiter.
Don't think about it, do it. Talk to all of the recruiters....

Old 06-17-2016, 03:43 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,686,723 times
Quote:

You seem like a very independent person, and yet you're willing to let others make nearly all decisions for you, including life-and-death ones ?

It's honorable to serve your country in times of need - like in WW2 - but our government had created a contract, mercenary-style military after Vietnam in large part so that they could engage in irresponsible adventures all over the globe without the American public paying too much attention. Personally, I wouldn't want to be their pawn. No offense.

Did you ever consider starting a business instead ? At least if you fail, you still get to live.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:23 PM

1,083 posts, read 641,733 times
Quote:

If I feel this isn't the path for me I'm thinking of joining the Air Force or the Navy
Quote:
. I've tried my hand at a lot of careers but never felt I could excel at anything. I'm kind of a jack of all trades. I have always loved languages, especially Chinese. I wanted to be a translator but it just didn't happen.
I say by all means.

And since you already have a Masters, you definitely need to talk to them about OCS. And both the Navy and Air Force have Chinese Linguists.

https://www.airforce.com/careers/det...guage-analyst/

Also, don't limit yourself to just that because the military has some really interesting jobs, and you just might find something that appeals to you even more. Perhaps even flight school? Who knows?

Best of luck.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:40 PM

25,214 posts, read 41,205,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
both the Navy and Air Force have Chinese Linguists.

https://www.airforce.com/careers/det...guage-analyst/
"All branches of the U.S. military need skilled linguists, but especially the Army as it interacts with non-English-speaking populations more frequently than the other services"

Dangers as an Army Linguist | Chron.com

Old 06-17-2016, 05:21 PM

17,074 posts, read 10,046,192 times
I don't think there's really any bad reason to join the military.

In hindsight I joined the military because I felt I had no other option in my life at the time, straight out of high school, no good job prospects, didn't know what to do. Basically, I was running away from something.

It certainly wasn't for patriotism or anything of that sort that some like to mention.

If people need a job, need guidance, benefits, whatever, all good reasons.

It might be a bad reason if the reason alone isn't enough to keep you motivated to make the most of your military career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or