U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:27 PM

424 posts, read 144,998 times

Advertisements

I had screws in my elbow from a service connected injury. One fine day about 8 years later, I was moving a 55gal drum and my screws ripped free. Out of my elbow, just under the skin, I had two screws poking up; horridly painful and extremely nauseating to look it.
I called and got an appointment with the VA (four week wait), saw the doc, and he said "They'll go back in by themselves, come back in three months if it's still bothering you." I was a bit incredulous about this plan of treatment but I gave in and asked for some pain meds. He told me take 800mg or Advil three times a day for it. No script, just back out the door with screws sticking out and unable to use my arm without severe pain.
I made another appointment, waited the three months, went back, and insisted they fix it this time. After arguing about it, they finally gave in and agreed. They told me to see about getting on the schedule. The next available surgical appointment was another two months out. I asked again about some pain medication and was sent on my way again with the same 800mg of Advil advice.
Finally, after six months of pain and suffering, I was on the table to get my elbow fixed. I woke up in the middle of the surgery and heard the student doctor (yes, they gave me a student doctor...) asking for a saw. There were a few panicked moments there, but he assured me that he only intended to use a hole saw to drill around the screws and then tap them out. The doc who put them in stripped the heads. They got me back under and drilled and tapped the screws out.
My elbow and I made it through together it but the VA will never be my first choice for quality healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 03:14 AM

1,384 posts, read 759,609 times
I love the VA. I've been enrolled in 2 different VAs and my father is a disabled vet.

I've had nothing but good experiences and our average wait time for an appointment is around a week.

I also find it irritating when people complain about the VA. You're getting very costly health care for free. I'm very appreciative that a system like this even exists. But then I try to stay away from that entitlement mentality that is all too prevalent in our culture.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:46 AM

5,167 posts, read 10,485,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I love the VA. I've been enrolled in 2 different VAs and my father is a disabled vet.

I've had nothing but good experiences and our average wait time for an appointment is around a week.

I also find it irritating when people complain about the VA. You're getting very costly health care for free. I'm very appreciative that a system like this even exists. But then I try to stay away from that entitlement mentality that is all too prevalent in our culture.
Really ?

Each time I go, it costs me $50.00, then the co payment for any medicines that is getting higher and higher.
If they do something that takes one night to stay, the charge is over a 1000.00 !!

I do not think that is *free* !

But ... I haven't gone for a long time until recently and they soaked me, I had to decline a lot of procedures they were suggesting !

Old 06-26-2016, 10:10 AM

6,571 posts, read 17,962,548 times
That Student Dr has already completed Medical school and is already a MD but is required to do a Residency for about four years under supervision.

If you ever watched the TV "Dr House" He was the Senior Staff Dr and the others were still learning.

I have had a few Surgeries at the VA hospital and each time there was a Senior Dr going thru what was to be done with 3-4 other Residents all in Surgical garb listening who more then likely participated. OR is full of MD and Nurses.

Thyroid removal and a Spinal Surgery were two major ones.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:11 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,366,385 times
My opinion is that there are some good, dedicated people who are there working for the right (i.e., keeping the best interest of the veterans at heart) reasons, and there are also some rotten people committing egregious acts that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else. The problem is that the patient never knows what he or she will get.

I lasted 4 months at the VA I worked for before I quit. I think that was my shortest job ever. I did try to make a difference.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:03 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,068,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
My opinion is that there are some good, dedicated people who are there working for the right (i.e., keeping the best interest of the veterans at heart) reasons, and there are also some rotten people committing egregious acts that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else. The problem is that the patient never knows what he or she will get.

I lasted 4 months at the VA I worked for before I quit. I think that was my shortest job ever. I did try to make a difference.
Now that is a different kettle of fish from the care received. My sister lasted 10 years and hated each day with the horrible management but loving the patients. My dad lasted 5 and had a hard time with the management but did his best for patients. Common theme... Management must be awful for employees. And in my sister's case management did let bad Doctor go on until they were forced to move her to where she couldn't hurt more patients. Sister filed grievance on Doctor after harm to patient. You can guess how popular Sis was after that.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:30 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,461,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
That Student Dr has already completed Medical school and is already a MD but is required to do a Residency for about four years under supervision.

If you ever watched the TV "Dr House" He was the Senior Staff Dr and the others were still learning.

I have had a few Surgeries at the VA hospital and each time there was a Senior Dr going thru what was to be done with 3-4 other Residents all in Surgical garb listening who more then likely participated. OR is full of MD and Nurses.

Thyroid removal and a Spinal Surgery were two major ones.
My Primary Care dr. is a 'tern, and he always consults with the Resident when I see him. Always been that way since I've been going to the VA.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:52 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,003,441 times
My husband has been using the MN VA system for seven years. Sometimes I go with him. And I am a retired health care professional so it's easier for me to see the stressors on the system or to catch a mistake.

I'd rate their service excellent. There's a real effort to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere and so far the quality of care he has received has been good, if somewhat slow. Considering that his issues aren't life-threatening this seems appropriate from a triage point of view.

The VA has also done a good job of implementing smaller clinics around the state to enable better service.

Considering the things I read that are apparently happening in other states I consider us lucky. It's Minnesota Nice, I guess.

Sometimes I wonder how much of the uproar is politically motivated.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 759,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Really ?

Each time I go, it costs me $50.00, then the co payment for any medicines that is getting higher and higher.
If they do something that takes one night to stay, the charge is over a 1000.00 !!

I do not think that is *free* !

But ... I haven't gone for a long time until recently and they soaked me, I had to decline a lot of procedures they were suggesting !
What priority are you?

Sounds like 7 or 8.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:59 AM

424 posts, read 144,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post

So, a service member, injured during a foreign war, should NOT be treated for injuries incurred as a result of that war? If they expect to be treated in a timely and professional manner, they have an entitlement mentality? If they are not, they are not allowed to complain about the organization that was tasked with providing the services?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or