U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2016, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
12,273 posts, read 6,778,267 times
Reputation: 26023

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I love the VA. I've been enrolled in 2 different VAs and my father is a disabled vet.

I've had nothing but good experiences and our average wait time for an appointment is around a week.

I also find it irritating when people complain about the VA. You're getting very costly health care for free. I'm very appreciative that a system like this even exists. But then I try to stay away from that entitlement mentality that is all too prevalent in our culture.
You're kidding, right? VA patients have every right to complain about it. They are veterans who served in the military in some capacity, meaning they protected our country in some fashion, thus they should expect efficient, quality medical care from the very entity they worked for and who possibly sent them into very dangerous, even life threatening work situations. So no, it's not an "entitlement" mentality. The US government OWES them medical care at the very least When one is owed something (in this case good medical care in exchange for military service to the US government), it is not an entitlement mentality to expect to receive what one is promised.

My wife is a veteran and uses the VA. The VA does a great job of giving her medical care when she can get it. The problem is getting it. The VA does the worst job of communication of any medical system I have ever seen. They will call her, tell her she has an appointment on X date, then it's actually Y. They won't return her phone calls for days. Or they tell her to show up for surgery at whatever time and it's the wrong time. She's have three different people call her with the same message. It's like the game of Telephone. One person calls with one message, it gets passed down the line, and five or ten people later, it's a completely different message. However, once she gets in for the appointment or surgery, the care she gets is top notch. And the medical care is NOT free, I might add. She still has co-pays, prescription drug costs, surgery costs, etc. . . In that way, it's similar to private plans or Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2016, 03:25 PM
 
28,072 posts, read 15,881,634 times
Reputation: 6132
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Really ?

Each time I go, it costs me $50.00, then the co payment for any medicines that is getting higher and higher.
If they do something that takes one night to stay, the charge is over a 1000.00 !!

I do not think that is *free* !

But ... I haven't gone for a long time until recently and they soaked me, I had to decline a lot of procedures they were suggesting !

Are you using the medical system as a Vet with disabilities or using it as a Vet with nothing military related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 03:53 PM
 
337 posts, read 132,921 times
Reputation: 1423
My husband has been receiving chemotherapy through the VA for the past 9 months and we have been very pleased with his care. Never a problem getting an appointment, unlike the civilian teaching hospital where he goes for some special procedures.

I'm a retired RN with experience in oncology nursing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 03:58 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
3,287 posts, read 1,345,444 times
Reputation: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You're kidding, right? VA patients have every right to complain about it. They are veterans who served in the military in some capacity, meaning they protected our country in some fashion, thus they should expect efficient, quality medical care from the very entity they worked for and who possibly sent them into very dangerous, even life threatening work situations. So no, it's not an "entitlement" mentality. The US government OWES them medical care at the very least When one is owed something (in this case good medical care in exchange for military service to the US government), it is not an entitlement mentality to expect to receive what one is promised.

My wife is a veteran and uses the VA. The VA does a great job of giving her medical care when she can get it. The problem is getting it. The VA does the worst job of communication of any medical system I have ever seen. They will call her, tell her she has an appointment on X date, then it's actually Y. They won't return her phone calls for days. Or they tell her to show up for surgery at whatever time and it's the wrong time. She's have three different people call her with the same message. It's like the game of Telephone. One person calls with one message, it gets passed down the line, and five or ten people later, it's a completely different message. However, once she gets in for the appointment or surgery, the care she gets is top notch. And the medical care is NOT free, I might add. She still has co-pays, prescription drug costs, surgery costs, etc. . . In that way, it's similar to private plans or Medicare.
I've never had any problems like that. Sounds like that VAMC needs cleaned up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 04:44 PM
 
28,072 posts, read 15,881,634 times
Reputation: 6132
Listen folks, if you are NOT rated.....well then, that is your problem....

Think about it....

If you are rated for what you are being treated for and having the same problem, then I apologize.....however, it seems not to be the case in this thread....


Did I miss something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 04:48 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,544 posts, read 17,488,322 times
Reputation: 5881
What can and does happen frequently is where a person has something happen to him/her and the info never gets entered on their file by a medic/clerk.

That happened to me in North Korea along with my records being lost in a basement flood at the records office in the Midwest. Certain letters of the alphabet were water logged with me being one of them.

I told the VA Doc my situation but could not substantiate any records of proof other then my word and place of duty.

Those 105mm can do a number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 06:23 PM
 
4,191 posts, read 1,773,608 times
Reputation: 10595
I think the objective goal of such facilities is to stay on budget and band aid the issues.

The personnels attitudes are a reflection of what parameters they are forced to work under.

I've yet to see astounding results hit any acclaimed medical journals for the treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2016, 07:37 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
23,462 posts, read 37,356,136 times
Reputation: 27368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I've yet to see astounding results hit any acclaimed medical journals for the treatments.
Just for June 2016:

From Research News from Local VA Medical Centers and our Academic and Federal Research Partners

Research News from Local VA Medical Centers and our Academic and Federal Research Partners

06/16/2016 Device for irregular heartbeat may be more cost-effective than medication (Yale University)

06/15/2016 In-hospital mobility program proves successful for patients' posthospital function (University of Alabama at Birmingham)

06/15/2016 UCLA scientists discover protective strategy against pesticide-linked Parkinson's disease (UCLA Health)

06/13/2016 Possible psoriasis drug target identified by Stanford researchers (Stanford Medicine)

06/13/2016 Scientists work to protect the kidneys from powerful cancer drug (Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University)

06/09/2016 Study shows strong prevalence of insomnia symptoms among female veterans (American Academy of Sleep Medicine)

06/09/2016 Stanford study finds support across ethnicities for physician-assisted death (Stanford Medicine)

06/08/2016 Pitt researchers find key to Parkinson's disease neurodegeneration (University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences)

06/03/2016 PTSD may negatively affect sex life satisfaction in male and female veterans (Journal of Traumatic Stress)

06/02/2016 When it comes to making patients safer, is a hospital's 'safety culture' that important? (University of Michigan Health System)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2016, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
1,384 posts, read 719,362 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You're kidding, right? VA patients have every right to complain about it. They are veterans who served in the military in some capacity, meaning they protected our country in some fashion, thus they should expect efficient, quality medical care from the very entity they worked for and who possibly sent them into very dangerous, even life threatening work situations. So no, it's not an "entitlement" mentality. The US government OWES them medical care at the very least When one is owed something (in this case good medical care in exchange for military service to the US government), it is not an entitlement mentality to expect to receive what one is promised.
I'm also a veteran and I don't remember ever signing a document upon accepting my commission that said "If you sign here, you are guaranteed health care for the rest of your life".

The fact is we signed up for it. We knew the risks and we took them anyway. The guys that were injured and maimed in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc? Sure, they should have all of the health care they need and then some.

But for those of us that had no injuries directly related to combat (the vast majority), the VA is a BENEFIT, not an entitlement.

Two different things.

Quote:
My wife is a veteran and uses the VA. The VA does a great job of giving her medical care when she can get it. The problem is getting it. The VA does the worst job of communication of any medical system I have ever seen. They will call her, tell her she has an appointment on X date, then it's actually Y. They won't return her phone calls for days. Or they tell her to show up for surgery at whatever time and it's the wrong time. She's have three different people call her with the same message. It's like the game of Telephone. One person calls with one message, it gets passed down the line, and five or ten people later, it's a completely different message.
Can't say that I've had this experience at all and I'm currently enrolled in the most scandal-ridden VA facility in the country.

I've been a patient at three different VA facilities throughout the country and have never experienced anything like this.

Quote:
However, once she gets in for the appointment or surgery, the care she gets is top notch. And the medical care is NOT free, I might add. She still has co-pays, prescription drug costs, surgery costs, etc. . . In that way, it's similar to private plans or Medicare.
Outpatient copay for primary care is $15, specialist is $50, meds are $9 for 30 day supply, labs and x-rays are free. Premiums are ZERO. Deductible is ZERO. If your wife had any kind of service-connected disability (which she doesn't if she's paying these prices), then a good portion of that small payment would also be zero.

Yeah, it's not free, but it's pretty close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2016, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
1,384 posts, read 719,362 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Really ?

Each time I go, it costs me $50.00, then the co payment for any medicines that is getting higher and higher.
If they do something that takes one night to stay, the charge is over a 1000.00 !!

I do not think that is *free* !

But ... I haven't gone for a long time until recently and they soaked me, I had to decline a lot of procedures they were suggesting !
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are you using the medical system as a Vet with disabilities or using it as a Vet with nothing military related?
Exactly.

Irman, $50 is pretty cheap to see a specialist when you're not paying a premium and don't have to worry about meeting a deductible.

And most hospitals cost way more than $1,000. A friend of mine fell and had to go to the ER. She was there for a few hours and had some tests done. She walked away with a bill that was close to $20k.

Also, like chucksnee said, if you have to pay that much, you're likely not service-connected. So I really don't see what you're complaining. You were not injured in the military and you are still receiving vastly cheaper health care than the majority of the population.

Be thankful for your good fortune. Don't be angry that you can't have more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top