U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:48 AM

27,798 posts, read 24,081,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I had the unfortunate experience of spending 3 hours at a VA Medical Center emergency room tonight with an elderly sick Vet who served 3 terms in 'Nam.

Just wondering what the consensus is with regard to others at VA Med Centers...

#1... Spent 3 hours waiting

#2... Watched patients wait for hours before triage - in a hallway with no comfort.

#3... Crass attitudes - "i'm trying to HELP YOU" attitude - nasty as hell

#4.... I've SEEN IT ALL attitude - WHAT ARE YOU COMING HERE WITH????

#5.... ZERO sensitivity - nurses who've seen it all, with a "chew you up and spit you out" attitude.

DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the hell?
Not every VA Center is the same. Some are new and beautifully designed, others are older and outdated. Some are properly staffed, others understaffed. Some have too many patients for their capacity. Some have some of the best doctors and nurses and lead the industry in care of certain illnesses, others don't have any of that. Like civilian hospitals you can't generalize about every VA hospital or clinic because they aren't the same across the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I went to a VA hospital a couple times. I was not impressed.

Fortunately I am retired so I have other options. Now I can go to any civilian medical facility in this region.

I wish the VA issued ID card would work as a health insurance card, allowing vets to be treated by any / all doctors. Then we could shut down the VA hospitals.
Same here. I had to go to the local VA Hospital here in Tampa yesterday just to update my mailing address and my name was mispelled on all correspondence sent my way. It took me about 15-20 mins to find a parking spot - several lots, a parking building - luckily I caught someone leaving. I'm still in good physical shape (ran 4 miles earlier in the day) and comtemplated parking at a Panera about a quarter of a mile away but caught someone leaving and I snagged parking. I can imagine an 80 yr old or a family member visitor struggling with parking before even getting into the hosp.

Once I got into the main entrance of the Tampa VA, it was old, so many wheelchair bound people. A lot of warnings about not bringing guns, weapons, several police and security walking around, and just a lot of commotion and a sense of being in an over capacity hospital. I got my admin stuff completed (quickly btw) and scurried back to the car thankful that I have options as a 20-yr retiree.

But I could in no way assess what type of care was being offered and realize that the American Taxpayer can't keep shelling out money for new facilities. It's more important to have access to care and good care rather than nice shiny state of the art facilities/buildings.

OP's situation sounds like the nursing staff is very under resourced/staff. Its common to see nurses get like this in that situation, unfortunately.

Doing my best with healthy lifestyle habits to stay out of hospitals.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:38 AM

11,064 posts, read 15,825,614 times
Birmingham, AL runs like a civilian hospital. Scheduling, follow up, knowledgable staff.
Dallas, TX was simply horrible.
OKC! OK have heard a lot of praise. We will see.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:39 AM

7,635 posts, read 6,279,573 times
My problem with the VA is I see a lot of people turning to them for issues that in no way were related to their military service.

I know some will say the VA is for all vets but for somebody that spent 2 years driving an Army truck in Germany during peacetime than showing up as the VA some 50 years later with say high blood pressure (as in no way military related) is in my opinion not the responsibility of the VA.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:42 AM

29,209 posts, read 46,407,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Same here. I had to go to the local VA Hospital here in Tampa yesterday just to update my mailing address and my name was mispelled on all correspondence sent my way. It took me about 15-20 mins to find a parking spot - several lots, a parking building - luckily I caught someone leaving. I'm still in good physical shape (ran 4 miles earlier in the day) and comtemplated parking at a Panera about a quarter of a mile away but caught someone leaving and I snagged parking. I can imagine an 80 yr old or a family member visitor struggling with parking before even getting into the hosp.

Once I got into the main entrance of the Tampa VA, it was old, so many wheelchair bound people. A lot of warnings about not bringing guns, weapons, several police and security walking around, and just a lot of commotion and a sense of being in an over capacity hospital. I got my admin stuff completed (quickly btw) and scurried back to the car thankful that I have options as a 20-yr retiree.

But I could in no way assess what type of care was being offered and realize that the American Taxpayer can't keep shelling out money for new facilities. It's more important to have access to care and good care rather than nice shiny state of the art facilities/buildings.

OP's situation sounds like the nursing staff is very under resourced/staff. Its common to see nurses get like this in that situation, unfortunately.

Doing my best with healthy lifestyle habits to stay out of hospitals.
There is no shortage of hospitals in the USA. Every county has a hospital. Every city has a hospital. Many cities have multiple hospitals. America has plenty of hospitals. America has roughly 390 patients per doctor.

Funneling veterans to only a few VA hospitals is obviously a problem. Doctors in VA hospitals treat 1500 to 2,000 patients each.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/30/us...al-waits.html?

About VHA - Veterans Health Administration

Making more VA hospitals does not fix anything.

We need to allow veterans to use the hospitals and doctors that are already located in their towns.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My problem with the VA is I see a lot of people turning to them for issues that in no way were related to their military service.

I know some will say the VA is for all vets but for somebody that spent 2 years driving an Army truck in Germany during peacetime than showing up as the VA some 50 years later with say high blood pressure (as in no way military related) is in my opinion not the responsibility of the VA.
I agree with this. Maybe the need to change the requirements. A cook in Ft Dix who never saw outside of the USA much less New Jersey and an 11B Army Infantryman who was dodging IED, suffers PTSD, and have all the long term effects of being a warfighter require different benefits.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:02 AM

5,078 posts, read 3,966,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

I agree also. Sure if its military related, even if it isn't - use your Medicare - if you are eligible.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:03 AM

274 posts, read 149,057 times
I had good experiences at the Albany, NY VAMC.

I had no insurance at my 37.5 hour a week "part-time" job. Therefore, being a Group 7, Cold War-era, "peacetime" veteran, I exercised my eligibility for treatment. Nothing rate-ably service connected, but my time in the service didn't help any of these conditions. After a while I got a better job with better insurance, and stopped going to the VA. I didn't really like the last doctor I had because he couldn't speak English very well. Very hard to understand his questions.Also, there was an influx of casualties from Iraq, men and women with missing limbs and such, who needed more help than I did. I guess that my point is that if a vet has nowhere else to go, turn to the VA. But I suppose that I'd agree that vets with civilian health insurance should use that first.

I always saw old guys in the lobby just hanging around, some with uniform articles from various services. I struck up a conversation with a few of these guys, and they were Korea and Vietnam vets who had been living at the VA since the 50s and 60 due to their injuries. So when you see those guys and girls in your local VAMC, please take a second to say "Hi" because they really seem to appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:34 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,359,843 times
I had my right eye fixed by a doctor rated in the top ten in the United States for that procedure. He comes to the VA when they have a tough problem, and I can see better now than I have in fifty years or more. Didn't cost me a dime despite two three-hour surgery sessions and a three day stay at Barnes-Jewish and Children's Hospital.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 AM

596 posts, read 269,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I had the unfortunate experience of spending 3 hours at a VA Medical Center emergency room tonight with an elderly sick Vet who served 3 terms in 'Nam.

Just wondering what the consensus is with regard to others at VA Med Centers...

#1... Spent 3 hours waiting

#2... Watched patients wait for hours before triage - in a hallway with no comfort.

#3... Crass attitudes - "i'm trying to HELP YOU" attitude - nasty as hell

#4.... I've SEEN IT ALL attitude - WHAT ARE YOU COMING HERE WITH????

#5.... ZERO sensitivity - nurses who've seen it all, with a "chew you up and spit you out" attitude.

DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the hell?

Which VA?
What was the condition the vet was being seen for?
Was he already in the VA system?
Does he have a disability rating from the VA?
Who/Where is his PC physician?

Do you actually know what "triage" means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or