U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 06:17 PM

7,185 posts, read 4,636,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My opinion: Private hospitals are better than VA hospitals. My dad got his care through the VA and my mom got hers through Medicare (plus supplemental insurance) at a private hospital. She got much better care than he did. She had congestive heart failure and the private hospitals admitted her many times to stabilize her and get her back to her baseline.

Meanwhile, my dad's prostate cancer had returned. He was never much of a complainer so part of the problem was probably that he didn't INSIST that they listen to him. But he went to the ER many times complaining of back pain and they would tell him it was nothing and send him home. The last time was only a couple of weeks before he died. A week before he died they finally did a bone scan and found that his prostate cancer had not only returned, but had metastasized to practically every bone in his body. He had to be in tremendous pain. On his last ER visit we specifically ASKED the ER doctor if his back pain could mean that his prostate cancer had returned/spread and she assured us that that was not the case.

Every time I went to the VA with him, it was just sad. Long waits and so many veterans in such poor health and not really being treated with the respect they deserved, in my opinion. It really depressed me to go there with him, but I went. I really wish he hadn't used the VA but had just used Medicare and private hospital like my mom. I'm not sure if veterans have that option or whether they are required to get their care through the VA.
I agree, private hospitals and private care are better, however, some vets don't have that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 06:33 PM

5,164 posts, read 10,475,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are you using the medical system as a Vet with disabilities or using it as a Vet with nothing military related?
I am a vet with 50% disability ...

Old 07-10-2016, 07:17 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,459,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
That's pretty typical when dealing with the federal government.

As a recently separated vet, I expect absolutely nothing to come easily. When it does, I'm pleasantly surprised, but I expect things to go wrong.
If you're going for service connected conditions be sure to get some back-up. I went with the DAV.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 PM

273 posts, read 136,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
If you're going for service connected conditions be sure to get some back-up. I went with the DAV.
I'm service connected. Got my rating last month.

I did all of the work myself.

I did link up with a few VSOs (one through the VA and one through American Legion), but I didn't find them to be much help.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:53 AM

5,538 posts, read 4,380,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My opinion: Private hospitals are better than VA hospitals. My dad got his care through the VA and my mom got hers through Medicare (plus supplemental insurance) at a private hospital. She got much better care than he did. She had congestive heart failure and the private hospitals admitted her many times to stabilize her and get her back to her baseline.

Meanwhile, my dad's prostate cancer had returned. He was never much of a complainer so part of the problem was probably that he didn't INSIST that they listen to him. But he went to the ER many times complaining of back pain and they would tell him it was nothing and send him home. The last time was only a couple of weeks before he died. A week before he died they finally did a bone scan and found that his prostate cancer had not only returned, but had metastasized to practically every bone in his body. He had to be in tremendous pain. On his last ER visit we specifically ASKED the ER doctor if his back pain could mean that his prostate cancer had returned/spread and she assured us that that was not the case.

Every time I went to the VA with him, it was just sad. Long waits and so many veterans in such poor health and not really being treated with the respect they deserved, in my opinion. It really depressed me to go there with him, but I went. I really wish he hadn't used the VA but had just used Medicare and private hospital like my mom. I'm not sure if veterans have that option or whether they are required to get their care through the VA.
They are not required to get their care from the VA.

I will admit that I hate going to a regular doctor and hospital because of all the paperwork. They ask the same darn questions time after time. They always have to get a copy of my insurance card because for some reason, not on file.

At least with the VA - for me anyway - that is not the case. Show your ID and that is that.

But I don't use the VA because it is too far.

Maybe they get used to it, so don't want to go anywhere else. Not everyone is all about going to the doctor for any little or big thing. My other half runs to the doctor for any little sniffle. I will have to see blood gushing or leg cut in half before I think of going - lol.

I have an elderly cousin that drives two hours to go to the VA. He was a county judge - so not destitute, but he goes to the VA faithfully. The VA hospital is in the same medical center that has many other very good hospitals and clinics. Don't know why he waits to get an appointment there. He likes it there, I guess.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:04 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Not everyone is all about going to the doctor for any little or big thing. My other half runs to the doctor for any little sniffle. I will have to see blood gushing or leg cut in half before I think of going - lol.
Definitely the case with my dad. When he started willingly going to the doctor and the ER, I knew something had to be wrong. I think the reason they ended up doing the bone scan is that I called his doctor's office and told them if he was complaining of pain he must REALLY be in pain because he was very stoic.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:58 AM

12,927 posts, read 24,052,828 times
My husband is a Navy vet who served on air craft carrier during Viet Nam.
He has stage 4 renal cancer and calcification on the pleura in his lungs from asbestos,first step toward mesothelioma.

Was taking him to Moffitt and at suggestion of friend went to VA.

We use the VA in St Petersburg FL. They were on same page as Moffitt as far as treatment.

Now his co pay for chemo pills is $9.00 not $ 523.00 of which on medicare and aarp the prescription part at the beginning of each year you fall into what they call a donut hole and first co pay was over $3000.00

The VA also schedules his CT Scans at the clinic in Cape Coral where we live so no 130 mile one way drive.

We are both pleased with the care and services at this VA. Everyone is helpful and pleasant and they always end the conversation with, "thank you for your service sir".

We were thinking of moving up to North Carolina but as I've no idea how good or bad VA is in Fayettville NC is we shall stay here in FL. VA hospitals are just like civilian hospitals, some are gems, some not so good, we are fortunate with the one in St Pete.

Last edited by njkate; 07-16-2016 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 11:27 AM

Don't forget to apply for Beneficiary Travel Pay when you go for an appointment. It accumulates.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:30 AM

12,927 posts, read 24,052,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Don't forget to apply for Beneficiary Travel Pay when you go for an appointment. It accumulates.
What is that?

Old 07-16-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
What is that?
Best thing to do is check with the Patient Advocate at the VA hospital to determine if you're eligible. If so you can apply after each visit. (Do they have the check-in machines there? If so, one of the options is to apply.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or