Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,048 times

Advertisements

I served 40 months on ADSW orders post-9/11. I have applied for GI Bill education benefits based on that service. I have provided the VA with fitness reports and DD214s referring to the 40 months as ADSW. The VA is taking the position that only the orders that recalled me to active duty is sufficient evidence of ADSW, and denied my claim. I do not have the orders nor have I been able to locate the orders through MilConnect. Has anyone else run into the VA claiming only one type of evidence is sufficient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 02:50 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartyjd View Post
I served 40 months on ADSW orders post-9/11. I have applied for GI Bill education benefits based on that service. I have provided the VA with fitness reports and DD214s referring to the 40 months as ADSW. The VA is taking the position that only the orders that recalled me to active duty is sufficient evidence of ADSW, and denied my claim. I do not have the orders nor have I been able to locate the orders through MilConnect. Has anyone else run into the VA claiming only one type of evidence is sufficient?
A DD-214 is what shows the amount of time you served. I was on OEF orders for 14 months and Noble Eagle orders for 4 months. I have a DD-214 for each period of service. That's what the VA would want to see if I ever decide to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill. I have four more years to use it, since my service was before 2013. But chances are I won't. I did use the original GI Bill to get my Bachelor's degree.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:06 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,325,635 times
Quote:
You could have been issued orders, and then had them canceled for any number of reasons. The 214 should be used. Contact a supervisor.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:44 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,085,536 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
You could have been issued orders, and then had them canceled for any number of reasons. The 214 should be used. Contact a supervisor.
He might not have a DD214. if he is a reservist or a national guard soldier there is no DD 214. In the guard it is a NGB Form 23. The reservists get a DD Form 256.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:06 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
He might not have a DD214. if he is a reservist or a national guard soldier there is no DD 214. In the guard it is a NGB Form 23. The reservists get a DD Form 256.
There certainly is a DD-214 for the Guard and Reserve. You get one every time you are federally activated for more than 30 days. I got one for the four months I was on Noble Eagle orders and one for the 14 months I was on OEF orders. When I retired from the Guard I got an NGB-22.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,085,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There certainly is a DD-214 for the Guard and Reserve. You get one every time you are federally activated for more than 30 days. I got one for the four months I was on Noble Eagle orders and one for the 14 months I was on OEF orders. When I retired from the Guard I got an NGB-22.
but not that accounts for ADSW (additional duty special work). ADSW are a bastard child of active duty. It gives you all the pay and benefits and no DD214 but you can get the NGB 23 or DD 256.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues