U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 04:31 AM

13,692 posts, read 15,050,169 times

Advertisements

I had the unfortunate experience of spending 3 hours at a VA Medical Center emergency room tonight with an elderly sick Vet who served 3 terms in 'Nam.

Just wondering what the consensus is with regard to others at VA Med Centers...

#1... Spent 3 hours waiting

#2... Watched patients wait for hours before triage - in a hallway with no comfort.

#3... Crass attitudes - "i'm trying to HELP YOU" attitude - nasty as hell

#4.... I've SEEN IT ALL attitude - WHAT ARE YOU COMING HERE WITH????

#5.... ZERO sensitivity - nurses who've seen it all, with a "chew you up and spit you out" attitude.

DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:01 AM

23,981 posts, read 38,544,541 times
We have a long time friend who had a knee replacement at our local VA a month ago and is currently happily traveling around the U.S. hiking.

We have a longer time (20+ years) friend who had a “Widowmaker” heart attack and surgery at our local VA a few months ago. He happily took a vacation with his wife in South America after the surgery and recovery.

I have used our local VA a few times with good to excellent results. In all honesty we prefer to use a closer more convenient civilian hospital.

We do some volunteer work at our local VA.

Yes, the VA has had some bad times. I'm pretty much fed up with the complainers. If you don't like the VA, then don't use it....

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-24-2016 at 07:45 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 07:50 AM

35,779 posts, read 39,016,419 times
I was horribly, terrifyingly misdiagnosed with uterine cancer at one.

The upside was that they immediately referred me to a quality oncologist who performed surgery, and treated the actual non-life-threatening issue.

It's not my opinion of the VA, or even that VA that is colored, but it certainly did color my opinion of that gyno and made me concerned for the quality of care that female troops there received under him.

We only use our local civilian run major medical center, now, but we are also prohibitively far from any VA that is useful to us.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:18 AM

23,981 posts, read 38,544,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I was horribly, terrifyingly misdiagnosed
So you are a Veteran?

Old 06-24-2016, 10:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 6,004,678 times
I am very happy with my VA experience so far. So far scheduling has not been a problem and when I get to the appointment there is no worse wait time than civilian

In the past in civilian hospitals ER wait time has been much longer than what you mention.

They tell me at VA if I need to go to ER just go to the nearest one. If. I can wait until the clinics are open and they will fit me in

And the quality of care has been good so far. Much better care than sick call.

So no complaints

Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,434,699 times
They have the Veteran's Choice program now, that helps. St. Louis VA system is excellent. Indianapolis, not so much. That's the limit of my experience with the VA.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,159,596 times
Absolutely horrendous. I wish I could go into detail. Still trying to get the VA OIG and the office of the President to take action. The doctors I had MADE AN EFFORT to harm veterans.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 AM

29,619 posts, read 47,231,072 times
I went to a VA hospital a couple times. I was not impressed.

Fortunately I am retired so I have other options. Now I can go to any civilian medical facility in this region.

I wish the VA issued ID card would work as a health insurance card, allowing vets to be treated by any / all doctors. Then we could shut down the VA hospitals.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 AM

5,460 posts, read 4,282,835 times
I'm a disabled vet, but I have Tricare, so I don't use the VA.

If this guy served during Vietnam, he is probably eligible for Medicare, age wise?

Why not use that and go to a regular ER? He might find the same wait time depending on his symptoms.

He needs to have another form of healthcare. My other half is a Vietnam vet, 100% rating and hangs on to his civilian insurance. He is finally going to get on Medicare also.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:40 AM

6,565 posts, read 17,847,604 times
Other then the waiting time all MD's will click on your last four and read up your records as needed. Here in SD they are mostly residents with a superior to consult.

ER may have Ambulance emergencies that take priority over the waiting room. Having chest pain etc and they will take you right away as was in my case once.

In appointment waiting room one man partially collapsed and there was 3 Drs and 2 Nurses there in seconds. Saw this person there on many of my visits and then nothing. Think he passed away as he looked homeless and beat looking.

Personally have not been back there for over a year now. Had two problem issues and they scheduled two altra sounds and never called me for a followup appointment or let me know the results. One was a possible Cancer return after I had my Thyroid removed 10 yrs ago......lump is still there and slowly getting larger. When I can't swallow then I know my time is coming to an end.....no problem as I will be 85 in a few short weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or