Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 52,971 times

Advertisements

So right now my fiancee is in California for tech school for the Air Force and will be leaving in March to go to his first duty station, which is RAF Mildenhall, UK. I am still in college, and I will graduate next December. We have no idea about what steps to take next. We want to get married, but it may not be until the summer. So my first question would be, when the active member reports to their first station, how long is it normally until they can take leave to come home? I also don't know what steps we need to take after getting married to put me as a dependent, housing, living costs, pay, just anything and everything. And I would also love any advice from anyone that had to move from the states to the UK that has any advice! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
There is no specific set waiting period that your fiancée would have to wait before he was able to take leave. That said, his unit's mission and schedule may dictate it. It's also poor form to show up to a unit and ask to take leave right away.

Once you're married and have a marriage license, etc., you can be enrolled into DEERS, which is done at a personnel office (not sure what the USAF calls it). In my case, after returning from my honeymoon, I enrolled my wife. At that point, all entitlements kick in. Depending on what day of the month it is will dictate when you start seeing them in an LES (paycheck). For example, if you are enrolled on the 25th of the month, it won't be seen on the end of month LES. It'll catch up and be prorated.

Having an overseas assignment as a first duty station can be somewhat unique if the SM knows they are getting married soon after they report to their overseas duty station. It is easier to PCS overseas as a married SM than wait a few months to get married. Because of that, a lot of people have a Justice of the Peace wedding to tidy all of it up and then have their planned ceremony later on. I know plenty of folks who did just that because their first duty station was Germany. Let me be clear, you don't have to do that. I just know that many do.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
your fiancee will know when the time is right for leave. trust her judgement.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:14 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
To the OP, if you are married before he (She?) gets orders, it is SOOOOO much easier. You will be on his orders, and they will "Sponsor" your travel, paying for plane tickets, movers, sponsoring a passport, etc. If you get married after he has orders, they will probably do NONE of that, leaving it all up to you. Just a thought. But, it's seriously easy, all he will need is proof of marriage, your SSN Card (even a certified copy) and probably some ID for you, and within an hour or two at the MPF (Military Personnel Flight) he can have you enrolled in everything you need to be enrolled in, and they you can get on the waiting list for housing (waiting list can't start until you are married).

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 52,971 times
Thanks!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Things could have changed, but: (I was in the Navy)

I know there are overseas stations where an accompanied tour is three years, unaccompanied is two years. So if you get married while he is there, I know that many times the command will not sponsor dependents. (I was stationed in the UK)
Maybe they will modify orders, maybe the system has changed, just saying how it was a few years ago.

I was overseas when I got married, my command did not sponsor my wife, but I was a higher rank than your soon-to-be husband is (I am assuming he is new to the USAF) so I lived off-base anyway, and had plenty of money to pay for everything. However, no special visa or nothing was available, she had to leave every six months to renew her visa and come back (non-US citizen).

I think he needs to go to his admin and ask specifics about all of this. That way if something comes up, for example, it is better to be married before going overseas so accompanied orders can be issued; you both know this and maybe can just get a legal marriage out of the way real quick, and have a formal ceremony later.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:38 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Things could have changed, but: (I was in the Navy)

I know there are overseas stations where an accompanied tour is three years, unaccompanied is two years. So if you get married while he is there, I know that many times the command will not sponsor dependents. (I was stationed in the UK)
Maybe they will modify orders, maybe the system has changed, just saying how it was a few years ago.

I was overseas when I got married, my command did not sponsor my wife, but I was a higher rank than your soon-to-be husband is (I am assuming he is new to the USAF) so I lived off-base anyway, and had plenty of money to pay for everything. However, no special visa or nothing was available, she had to leave every six months to renew her visa and come back (non-US citizen).

I think he needs to go to his admin and ask specifics about all of this. That way if something comes up, for example, it is better to be married before going overseas so accompanied orders can be issued; you both know this and maybe can just get a legal marriage out of the way real quick, and have a formal ceremony later.
^do this

Old 06-26-2015, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 38,948 times
How can I get married by proxy?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 38,948 times
How can I get married by proxy? What are the steps?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristigreen63 View Post
How can I get married by proxy?
Varies by state, and proxy marriages are not fully recognized in all states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues