U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,487 posts, read 6,424,991 times
Reputation: 9378

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Also, a head injury should not cause prolonged vision issues. Not at all. You've probably had optic nerve issues since your blurry vision started. If it was from a head injury, either you got a TBI (Which is a DQ), or have post-concussive syndrome (which is a DQ), but your vision would have normalized shortly after your injury. It's likely from the optic nerve damage. The MEPS doctor is not an eye doctor, so may have mistakenly not connected the two items.
This is incorrect.

A head injury *can* cause *permanent* vision issues- my military service ended with involuntary retirement, in part specifically due to a head injury that cost me the vision in my right eye. It might have been overlooked...except that I accepted an in-service nomination to West Point and after passing the entrance exam I was required to take a[nother] physical. I was sent to Ft. Sam to see a specialist for additional tests on my eye and they determined that the issue (with the optic nerve) was permanent and uncorrectable. I was disqualified for the appointment due to this, and it ultimately led to the premature end of my military career.

I got a nice letter- "A review of your medical records shows that you are no longer qualified for retention in the Armed Services. You are hereby retired." Good-bye, GTFO, have a nice life, we don't want you anymore.

Didn't matter that I had adjusted to the problem with depth perception and could still fight with the best of them. I should have just turned down the nomination to re-up enlisted, and taken the big bonus and extra rank they were offering me for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyamame View Post
Good morning everyone. I have a very big problem. I was applying to the national guard, had 59 on the asvab, went to meps, got dq for my vision. I was sent to the meps doc and here is what he wrote down: (20/20#20/70) without correction and both correctable to 20/20. Color vision, night vision etc are good. He also found that my vision has been blurry for so long because i got hurt in the head and he added that there is no sign of disease, just that it remained the same.also he said i have poor response on one of the exam he gave me and that my optic nerve is blade. That is all. So i went back to meps and the chief said he can't let me swear in because the meps doctor found something...
OP, I was going to say that with a score that low, you weren't going to get in anyway, but I just checked the requirements and see that you are above the minimum. I didn't think the minimum was as low as it is...no wonder my recruiter was creaming his skivvies when I went in, and told me I could have my pick of MOS and duty station (which I did, in fact, get just as promised.)

OP, I don't think that the issue with your eye looks very good (pardon the pun) for you.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 PM
 
8,374 posts, read 7,362,552 times
Reputation: 18229
Quote:
d. Night blindness, of such a degree that the Soldier requires assistance in any travel at night.
How do you think that you could go out on night patrol, or stand night guard duty?

Your field of vision, is so narrow you would not be able to see someone sneaking up on you from the side. You have to be able to have wide vision to be able to go on maneuvers and stand even basic guard duty.

You not only have a narrow range of vision which would rule you out, but you would need someone to escort you at night.

Quote:
(4) Detachment results from organic progressive disease or new growth, regardless of the condition of the better eye.
You say you do not have any eye disease, but the doctor says you do.

With your eye conditions, you simply would place other soldiers at risk if you went out in the field and a potential fire fight existed. You could get yourself and several others killed, due to your eye condition.

At night you are absolutely worthless as a soldier or in any other military service. In the military you have to be able to operate satisfactorily 24 hours a day, not just when it is bright sunlight.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 01:20 AM
 
17 posts, read 52,118 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
How do you think that you could go out on night patrol, or stand night guard duty?

Your field of vision, is so narrow you would not be able to see someone sneaking up on you from the side. You have to be able to have wide vision to be able to go on maneuvers and stand even basic guard duty.

You not only have a narrow range of vision which would rule you out, but you would need someone to escort you at night.



You say you do not have any eye disease, but the doctor says you do.

With your eye conditions, you simply would place other soldiers at risk if you went out in the field and a potential fire fight existed. You could get yourself and several others killed, due to your eye condition.

At night you are absolutely worthless as a soldier or in any other military service. In the military you have to be able to operate satisfactorily 24 hours a day, not just when it is bright sunlight.

The doctor never said that i have an eye disease. What you quoted was the requirements i pulled from apd.army.mil
So it was not the conditions i have. The doctor said he does not know what is wrong. He just found the symtpoms, but no real condition.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 03:47 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,625 posts, read 13,983,366 times
Reputation: 18670
My heart hurts when those that WANT to serve are disqualified for reasons the DoDI find disqualifying.....but believe me, it is not to be mean, but for the safety of yourself and others in situations where the condition could create safety issues. I know this is a hard pill to swallow, but there IS purpose behind the medical qualification standards.

Try for a waiver, but if it is a DoDI instruction VS AFI or Army/Navy Instruction, it is totally disqualifying regardless of branch.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Reputation: 4716
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyamame View Post
As you can see, even in the case i have optic nerve atrophy, it is not due to disease so it can be waived. But i do not have it. I do not have any disease. In fact, the meps doctor said that my blurry vision is NOT progressive, and it is correctable with glasses to 20/20. I have blurry vision since i am 5 and now i am 22, and i still ha e 20/20 L and 20/70 R. For someone who has optic nerve atrophy, it is impossible to have that kind of vision. I know that because i study medical science. So escuse me recruiter, but iam sure i can get a waiver, and i do not want anyone to tell me if i can or not. At meps they wrote "WAIVER RECOMMENDED" on my record. If i cannot get a waiver for that, they should have written it. Also only the surgeons can deny my waiver so, before giving up, i want them to deny my waiver. My recruiter never sent the waiver. I just want to know how i can have it sent. Thank you
You are misunderstanding... The regulation you quoted is an Army Regulation for MEBs (MEBs are for people who are ALREADY in). Chapter 3 is for RETENTION, and you are quoting chapter 3. Chapter 2, which is for joining, says Optic Nerve Atrophy is a disqualification. PALE OPTIC NERVE MEANS OPTICAL NERVE ATROPHY.

Your logic makes zero sense. You keep saying the MEPS doctor said nothing was wrong... but he said you have Pale Optic Nerve. That is an optic nerve disorder that means atrophy. Both AR 40-501 chapter 2, and the parent regulation, DODI 6130 state ANY Optic Nerve Atrophy is a DQ.
If nothing was wrong with your eyes in the mind of MEPS, they would not have disqualified you.

You have had blurry vision since 5 years old, and have never seen an eye doctor, and you think this is normal? BLURRY VISION IS NOT NORMAL.


I was providing this information so you would please go to an eye doctor. You said you've never been to one, and I'm worried for you because you seem to be in denial (You keep saying nothing is wrong with your eyes, and that MEPS is saying nothing is wrong, yet MEPS clearly disqualified you).

You can have the waiver sent, but I want you to be emotionally prepared for it to be turned down. I've been doing this longer than you, and I have a little experience with it. Since you have an actual presentation of symptoms (life long blurry vision), I don't want you to get your hopes up. You've explained your blurry vision as the result of a head injury.... but that isn't medically sound. Your blurry vision is not from a head injury decades ago, I promise.

The Surgeon General who must approve the waiver does not always follow the recommendation of the MEPS doctor, so don't focus so much on the fact that a waiver was recommended, especially if the MEPS doctor isn't an eye doctor. The SG will confer with an eye doctor about your case before making a decision.

Yes, your file could be sent to the SG for a ruling on a waiver, but it can't be sent if the recruiter refuses to send it. Your recruiter doesn't believe you'll get the waiver and doesn't want to waste his time. I agree with him, unless you can get proof you don't have a pale optic nerve.

I do wish you luck, and I'm going to bow out of this conversation now so I'm clearly annoying you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 07:33 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Reputation: 4716
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyamame View Post
The doctor never said that i have an eye disease. What you quoted was the requirements i pulled from apd.army.mil
So it was not the conditions i have. The doctor said he does not know what is wrong. He just found the symtpoms, but no real condition.
Didn't the doctor say you have a pale optic nerve? Why do you not understand that that IS AN EYE DISEASE!!!!!!!! :

(Sorry, I said I was bowing out but I just can't.)

You have an eye disease called "Pale Optic Nerve" which MEANS optic Nerve Atrophy. Pale Optic Nerve CAUSES BLURRY VISION and Optic Nerve Atrophy is a DQ. You have Optic Nerve Atrophy because Pale Optive Nerve===Atrophy.

Not so hard to understand... not sure what you are missing here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 08:12 AM
 
14,960 posts, read 8,529,518 times
Reputation: 24921
It's obvious the OP is in denial and desperate for any little sense of hope in his situation.

That is why he is looking more for emotional support here, since in his heart he knows he is out of options, and much of the opinion here is that he is out of luck.

I also understand how he feels, as it sucks to have your goal of serving your country denied due to a medical issue that is no fault of your own.

But it is what it is.

All you can do is try a waiver. Arguing with people here isn't going to accomplish anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,487 posts, read 6,424,991 times
Reputation: 9378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Didn't the doctor say you have a pale optic nerve? Why do you not understand that that IS AN EYE DISEASE!!!!!!!! :

(Sorry, I said I was bowing out but I just can't.)

You have an eye disease called "Pale Optic Nerve" which MEANS optic Nerve Atrophy. Pale Optic Nerve CAUSES BLURRY VISION and Optic Nerve Atrophy is a DQ. You have Optic Nerve Atrophy because Pale Optive Nerve===Atrophy.
You need to stop trying to play 'doctor' and stick to what you know. A 'pale' optic nerve is not necessarily an indicator of any particular disease, or any disease at all. It is simply the appearance that the optic nerve takes on when it is no longer functioning, being damaged in one way or another. That damage *could* be caused by disease, or by injury as the OP claims, which is entirely possible.

I don't know why you are harping on the term 'disease', which you clearly aren't qualified to diagnose. The main issue, I think, is that the vision problem seems to be correctable, with the appropriate lens, even though the underlying cause is not correctable.

An optic nerve damaged by injury might never improve, however it will not suffer further deterioration either. In my case, my central vision is completely gone, not just 'blurry', and this cannot me corrected by either surgery or a lens. The extent of the damage can be observed and mapped, and I have had this done. Over more than 30 years I have not suffered any additional deterioration, and actually seems to have improved somewhat...though that might simply be a case of wishful thinking...I recently began having the damage re-mapped every year but it hasn't been long enough to discern changes, if any, and I don't have access to the mapping done at Ft. Sam so many years ago which would indicate the original extent of the damage.

I believe the OP's claim that his issue is caused by injury, because it happened to me. Trying to convince him that he has a disease rather than an injury is not helpful, and likely incorrect. What would be more helpful, is IF, in fact, external lenses will correct his vision to 20/20, you could find something in the regs, or point him in a direction that he might go in an attempt to get a waiver.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Florida
3,192 posts, read 4,232,952 times
Reputation: 9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Your recruiter doesn't believe you'll get the waiver and doesn't want to waste his time. I agree with him, unless you can get proof you don't have a pale optic nerve.
Not sure why the OP is so butt hurt about this.

The recruiter probably has dozens of recruits he's working with and I would venture to say that some of them may have scored higher than 59 on the ASVAB and will not require medical, criminal or moral waivers. To put it bluntly: they're more qualified than OP.

There are a lot of people who wanted/tried to serve yet never did who went on to live very successful lives. Nothing wrong with not being able to serve.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 PM
 
8,374 posts, read 7,362,552 times
Reputation: 18229
Quote:
i have optic nerve atrophy
Quote:
He also found that my vision has been blurry for so long because i got hurt in the head and he added that there is no sign of disease, just that it remained the same.also he said i have poor response on one of the exam he gave me and that my optic nerve is blade.
Optic Nerve Atrophy, causes blurry vision.

Blurry vision, is what will keep you from being able to enlist. That is something, they really cannot waiver.

The military has certain standards of vision quality that they simply cannot waiver. You simply have vision problems that prevent you from being able to enlist, and other services are even harder to qualify for than the Army.

They have been nice to you, and have not just said, "You do not meet the vision requirements so just get the h*** out of here".
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top