Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:06 AM

17 posts, read 158,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Forgive the intrusion but that is actually the best idea to preserve your long term vision. If you tell me about where you're located I can find you a top doc to see.

Escuse me but i wll try to explain it again. My left eye has 20/20, my right eye 20/70. It has always been like that. Now the problem the doctor found is that what makes my right eye see at 20/70? Then it found the it is due to a problem in the back of the eye. Eye refraction corrected that eye to 20/20. I never wore glasses nor went to an ophtalmologist since the injury. The doctor said i repwat it again, NO DISEASE, which litterally mean NO LONG TERM EFFECT. otherwise i should blind at this time. Isn't it? My right eye has blurry vision but not that blurry, i see at 20/70. Another thing, the reason why i have to see the doctor is that, my recruiter supervisor said i need more information. Because at meps they just did some tests and put the results. So they need more to understand. I will do that this sunday and show you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 12:56 PM

20,831 posts, read 17,015,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyamame View Post
Escuse me but i wll try to explain it again. My left eye has 20/20, my right eye 20/70. It has always been like that. Now the problem the doctor found is that what makes my right eye see at 20/70? Then it found the it is due to a problem in the back of the eye. Eye refraction corrected that eye to 20/20. I never wore glasses nor went to an ophtalmologist since the injury. The doctor said i repwat it again, NO DISEASE, which litterally mean NO LONG TERM EFFECT. otherwise i should blind at this time. Isn't it? My right eye has blurry vision but not that blurry, i see at 20/70. Another thing, the reason why i have to see the doctor is that, my recruiter supervisor said i need more information. Because at meps they just did some tests and put the results. So they need more to understand. I will do that this sunday and show you.
I GET IT. It's always good to check in with a true expert. If you are ok not doing so, I'll butt out. =)

Old 07-18-2016, 02:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,704,117 times
What you need to do, is understand what Atrophy means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrophy

Atrophy means the nerve or muscles in the eye are degenerating away. In other words, it is going to get worse, not better.

Today, the military is releasing soldiers, and other people in the military. They are releasing people that are in a lot better condition than you are. They are not accepting new recruits with any physical or mental problems. They are only accepting those with high scores on written tests. The days of recruiting warm bodies into the army are over.

Waivers such as you want, are not being given at the present time, as they don't have to do such to meet their lower number of new recruits they are accepting. As you are having an Atrophy problem, they are not jumping up and down in excitement of our applying to join. The only reason the recruiter is not trying to get you a waiver and working hard to do so, is he knows they are not giving them at this time. They don't have to, as they get all the applicants they need without it.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:55 AM

17 posts, read 158,034 times
First of all, i never said i have optic atrophy. The doc never wrote that on my record. I saw a doctor on sunday. He did not say anything about atrophy. Second, hthank you for your words. It really helps. But i saw an air force recruitrr and she look at my record and my waiver has been submitted. Now i am waiting for the answer. My recruiter now does not know whether they are giving waivers or not. She ssid even those who look at the record do not know. So if you know i am going to be denied or approved, then you should be the surgeon.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,293,816 times
I am a recruiter and fortunately for you Oldtrader is wrong, at least about the Air Force. We have lowered our minimum ASVAB score from 50 to 31, raised our age cutoff from 28 to 40, and started accepting massive amounts of people without high school diplomas (GEDs are accepted and historically haven't been). We're approving financial and moral waivers, and we're still not able to find enough people to get to our desired end strength. We're at risk of missing goal for the first time in 16 years. It's dire.

However, the Surgeon General doesn't give two hoots if we make or miss goal, he's not part of recruiting service, and he won't base his decisions on that. If the OP got a clean bill of health from the ophthalmologist, he has a chance. I don't think he has a good chance because the blurry vision also is a DQ, but he has a chance.

Please come back and let us know what happens. You should have an answer within 30 days.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,535,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I am a recruiter and fortunately for you Oldtrader is wrong, at least about the Air Force. We have lowered our minimum ASVAB score from 50 to 31, raised our age cutoff from 28 to 40, and started accepting massive amounts of people without high school diplomas (GEDs are accepted and historically haven't been). We're approving financial and moral waivers, and we're still not able to find enough people to get to our desired end strength. We're at risk of missing goal for the first time in 16 years. It's dire.

However, the Surgeon General doesn't give two hoots if we make or miss goal, he's not part of recruiting service, and he won't base his decisions on that. If the OP got a clean bill of health from the ophthalmologist, he has a chance. I don't think he has a good chance because the blurry vision also is a DQ, but he has a chance.

Please come back and let us know what happens. You should have an answer within 30 days.

I didn't realize things were so bleak. I've never heard of the Air Force having problems with recruitment. I have to wonder how the other services are faring.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:55 AM

I've heard the Navy is doing so well that they've stopped recruiting temporarily- but I don't know if that's true.

We'd be fine, except they decided to grow the Air Force more than anyone thought they would.

We have a few other things working against us:
We're extremely strict on tattoos.... and today's youth has a lot of tattoos
We don't allow gauged ears at all....today's youth has a lot of gauged ears
We're must stricter than the Army/Navy on Ht/Wt. You must be about 197 to process at 6 ft tall, and 170 at 5'7". This is tough for a lot of people
We only allow 15 times of marijuana use (now it's legal and prescribed in a lot of states, so this is tough)
You can't have ever done any other drug, not even once. A lot of people have
Almost every law violation requires a waiver, deterring people from joining. I turned away a kid the other day that needed a major waiver from a General for the Air Force, didn't need any waiver for the Navy.
ADD/ADHD treatment is a DQ (try finding high schoolers whose parents haven't had them treated!)
A lot of states and employeers are starting to offer college benefits, meaning they need us less
Unemployment has gone down, minimum wage and pay are going up, so they don't need us as much

Old 07-21-2016, 03:29 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,035,551 times
Quote:
I am a recruiter and fortunately for you Oldtrader is wrong, at least about the Air Force. We have lowered our minimum ASVAB score from 50 to 31...
31?

Holy Toledo. What job in the AF can you do with a score that low? That's the same as the min score for the Army to get a job as a target.

And after checking the scoring and qualification differences between when I took the ASVAB in the '70s and now, I can see why they were drooling all over themselves when they saw my score (I don't quite qualify for the Triple Nine Society). It's no wonder why I thought everyone around me was a moron, and why they tried to recruit me into MI. It is sad to think they wasted what might have been an excellent military career (and brain) simply because of a few injuries that I had learned to deal with. Sometimes, the Powers That Be are idiots.

Seriously though, the Army considers 31 to be the absolute minimum that a person can get, in order to be able to function at a minimum level- i.e.: follow orders and shoot. What can you do in the AF with that low of an IQ?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:34 AM

It honestly depends on the line scores for a 31. Sometimes we can't put them in because they don't qualify for any jobs, but sometimes they'll have a G score high enough for Security Forces (Requires a G32), and sometimes they'll have an A score high enough for a couple of admin jobs. Usually, that's it. Every once in awhile they'll have a M score high enough to be a vehicle mechanic. Often though, they have to retest because of job qualifications.
G-General
A-Admin
M-Mechanical

Old 07-23-2016, 12:00 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,535,595 times
Quote:
It honestly depends on the line scores for a 31. Sometimes we can't put them in because they don't qualify for any jobs, but sometimes they'll have a G score high enough for Security Forces (Requires a G32), and sometimes they'll have an A score high enough for a couple of admin jobs. Usually, that's it. Every once in awhile they'll have a M score high enough to be a vehicle mechanic. Often though, they have to retest because of job qualifications.
G-General
A-Admin
M-Mechanical

There used to be a fourth test. I remember my scores were 95, 99, 99, 99. I took my test in 1983. I actually found a printout from 1987 and the fourth test was Electrical. The 95 was on the Admin test, which is OK, as I was never the office type. This was before I went to college, so I'm surprised that people actually score in the 30s.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 07-23-2016 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Found RIP from 1987
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues