U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:20 PM

563 posts, read 465,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

And to think my cousin was almost murdered when he was in the Middle East serving a tour so people like you can sit on your computer and rag on the military. Not to mention the thousands who have died so you can feel superior and post about it.
Thats what trying to say. Break your back and risk your life for low pay unless officer. + suicide rate and PTSD rates etc.yes first time college enrolles gets scholarships like TAP/Pell/Financial Aid. I got it i was B- student. Private college is overrated. god bless all soldiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 10:28 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,071,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Thats what trying to say. Break your back and risk your life for low pay unless officer. + suicide rate and PTSD rates etc.yes first time college enrolles gets scholarships like TAP/Pell/Financial Aid. I got it i was B- student. Private college is overrated. god bless all soldiers.
People who enlist are well aware of the dangers. Many people love their country and will fight for it so hard that they are willing to die for it! You should thank them every day because without them, you wouldn't have the life that you have. You would not have the freedoms you're currently enjoying such as sitting on the internet criticizing those folks. There are countries where you would be jailed for your comments. Some might even put you to death. Think about that!

Hate to break it to you, but many people never get TAP/Pell/financial aid. FYI TAP is ONLY in NYS. Private college is overrated? Seriously? Do you think if a person graduated from the University at Buffalo with a degree in architecture with a 4.0 they would be hired over a person who graduated from Cornell University with a degree in architecture with a 4.0? Highly doubtful! Oh and Buffalo does NOT have free tuition, fees, room, or board. Neither does Cornell. Cornell, however, gives out far more in financial aid than Buffalo. And a B- student would not even get into Cornell! You'd even have a hard time getting into Buffalo.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:23 PM

12,715 posts, read 12,113,877 times
Quote:
I was surprised how US military are so under payed.
Under paid compared to who? Compared to a recent HS graduate, not under paid at all. Compared to the CEO of Google, underpaid.

There is no better deal for a recent HS graduate than the military.

When I first got out of "A" school my take home was $473 a pay check, so let's just say $900 a month. That is pure cash, room, food, medical, dental, everything else is paid for, and that was just a little over a year after I joined.

Fast forward seven years later, I was overseas so I got off-base housing paid for which in my case included all utilities, and I got cost of living and a food allowance, so including the food allowance and cost of living, but not the housing allowance, I was bring in about $3600 a month after taxes.

I do not find that bad money at all, for someone with nothing more than a HS education. My pay ony kept increasing until I got out at the 12 year mark.

Quote:
I was about to go Army after high school but went to college instead.
Too bad, I cannot think of too many civilian jobs that are the equivalent of the Army. I know for me, there are none that let me be stationed aboard a submarine.

Quote:
in 6 years after high school you can complete a BA or even Masters degree and take civil service exam making same salary or even more.
You can take college course in the military also.

Also, you do realize most civil service jobs do not have an exam? Additionally, it is difficult, very difficult to get such a job, and with just a BA/BS with no experience you are looking to start as a GS-7 or 9. That depending on location is about $40-48k, so after taxes, housing, medical, dental...you are not looking at a whole lot of take home pay. Also, while there is no guarantee of advancement in the military, there is also no guarantee of advancement in the civil service.

Quote:
Military has housing benefits etc. but you can stay with your parents until 24 which is normal and go free state school.
People's parents do not always live near a college.

Quote:
Yes US college is not expensive its a myth! you can work part time (+scholarships) graduate with no debt. I did it.
Congrats; you want a cookie or something? College is expensive depending on where you live, it is not like they waive the tuition for you. You can get various scholarships and such, but at the end of the day, it needs to be paid.

My UG cost under $6k a year, so even with a job say paying $8/hr, a person would need to work 750 hours and that is not including taking out taxes, so it would be even more. At 32 hours a week, even that would be 23 weeks needed just to cover tuition, not books, housing, food, transportation, etc. And again, that is not discounting taxes, and maxing out at 32 hours a week, and taking into account if a person even finds a job.

Also, many colleges have cut back on class availability, so many people have to quit jobs or take a severe work hour cut just so they can get to the two/three times a week just to take the one class that is a requirement for their major.

Quote:
you serve 6 years and your back to square one with no college education and low pay civilian forever, who wants to college at 28 your already behind!
Back to square one? Where do you get that from? I left active duty with tens of thousands of dollars in savings with no debt, real work experience, close to a degree which I completed after I got out, and some awesome experiences which no one other than someone in the military can ever do.

Got hired into the federal government before I graduated, left the government as a GS-13 to go into the private sector, and now I am, I will say, a senior manager at a financial institution. I would not call that "being behind", and my story is not at all rare, and I guarantee I would not be where I am today if I was yet just another run-of-the-mill college grad with my standard BS internships and part-time BS college job; a dime a dozen.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 PM

2,556 posts, read 1,630,624 times
Quote:
I was about to go Army after high school but went to college instead.

in 6 years after high school you can complete a BA or even Masters degree and take civil service exam making same salary or even more.
Military has housing benefits etc. but you can stay with your parents until 24 which is normal and go free state school. Yes US college is not expensive its a myth! you can work part time (+scholarships) graduate with no debt. I did it.
you serve 6 years and your back to square one with no college education and low pay civilian forever, who wants to college at 28 your already behind!
So, your goal in life is to live at home till 24, go to an 'everybody gets in' state college, and then take a civil service exam?

And your looking down on those who choose the military?

BTW, staying with mom till your mid twenties may be more commonplace for your generation, but as a life plan is hardly normal.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:28 AM

1,609 posts, read 692,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm enlisted and I make $75,000 a year. I don't believe I would have ever been this high of an earner without enlisting. I would have likely ended up in a job that pays less.

I have never paid a dime for college (working on a Master's degree). I joined at age 17, and have gotten my education while in. OP, why do you assume we don't go to college while enlisted?
I have never paid a dime for medical care (including braces and vision correction surgery).
Half my income is non-taxed.
I have a great deal of life insurance for myself and my family.
I still have an unused GI bill that will pay for one of my children to go to college, for free, with money for room and board included in the GI Bill. Does your employer pay for your child's college?
I have a retirement that I'll begin collecting at 38 years old, that I never contributed a penny to, and it's worth about $2,500,000 dollars if I live to be mid-80s, no accounting for inflation and COLA adjustments... and I never contributed a single cent. How does your retirement work?
I will get health insurance for the rest of my life.
I get free legal services, a free gym and pool on base, and discounted shopping.
I have an untold amount of extra benefits that are too numerous to describe.
I make more money than a single person I went to high school with, that I'm aware of anyway.
My husband is also enlisted. Together, we are in the top 10 percent of household incomes in the country, and we're barely in our 30s, and have had a very easy life. We each work just 35 hours a week!

I'm not following how this is a bad deal?

This^^

Old 07-25-2016, 04:32 AM

1,609 posts, read 692,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
As others have said, there are tons and tons of other benefits that are more subtle. For example, I was just hired for a great job that I am only somewhat qualified for. My boss is in the Air National Guard and LOVES military. I suspect that gave me a huge boost over other candidates. And, likewise, if I'm ever in a hiring position, I will be more likely to hire a vet over a non-vet.

In any event, the full-time military life was not for me. I hated the bureaucracy and, for my particular job, the command structure. I worked anywhere from 50 to 80 hours per week, had no social life for 2+ years, and did not take a day of legitimate leave for 8 months (I did take leave, but only to come in and catch up on my work). It was a pretty miserable experience and I'm happy that it's over.

With that said, there were many others in a similar situation and we bonded over our shared misery. I do miss the camaraderie and I'm considering joining either a reserve or guard unit.

As far as the retirement benefits, if you want to have the option for the current (great) retirement, you need to join before 2018. Congress is currently in the process of ruining it, as they do with everything.

I wouldn't advertise that too loud.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 AM

943 posts, read 674,726 times
I was in the army for 5 years and always felt the pay was fair. Especially since everything else was paid for like medical/dental, housing, uniforms. So everything I bought was more or less things I wanted, not needed (except food). When I returned from Iraq I had over $30k saved up, not bad for a 21 year old. When I was still in I was married, had 2 brand new cars and was able to do what ever I wanted. Plus is was nice to have 30 days of leave and a 4 day weekend for pretty much every holiday.

Now that I'm out, I have one more year left in my bachelors degree from a very expensive private school. On top of free tuition and books I have received a good housing allowance every month since I've been in school. Never did the math but between tuition and housing I guessing I've received nearly $100k-$115k since being out of the military. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:47 AM

12,920 posts, read 4,938,088 times
It's probably a great career if you don't end up in a combat zone. Quite a few people coming back from Iraq are having issues with PTSD.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:51 AM

23,960 posts, read 31,176,495 times
Quote:
It's PAID. P A I D.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:10 AM

3,200 posts, read 9,249,894 times
Quote:
Not everyone qualifies for those. I didn't- my parents made too much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or