U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:33 PM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
1) Don't presume dmarie is going to give you any of the darker side of pay. She is a recruiter, and seems to be a very good one. Recruiters tell you the positives of military service. She didn't lie, at all, but notice her response was quite positive throughout.

2) The current push is to make retirement more of a corporate-type 401K, where you still get a (small) pension, but also contribute to a tax-deferred retirement fund throughout your career. So the answer to 'is there any reason'...'25 or 30 years the requirement': that's probably the wrong question. The *right* question is, 'are military pensions being changed, and if so, how?'.

3) People don't have to be kicking in doors to be in real, physical danger during their service-in a way that working as a software engineer does not bring. E.g., if a FOB you are on is mortared, you're in danger. An acquaintance of mine died when the Soviet model helicopter he was in (flown on a joint mission with another country's pilot) hit a mountainside. If you're deployed somewhere nasty, there are any number of diseases not common in the US you are more liable to get.

Some people never get into danger, sure. But again, not everyone's clearing rooms, but they might still be in danger-and at least for the ground services for sure, you are chewing up your body to do your duty.

Thanks Georgia!

There are a lot of down sides, like moving, uprooting kids, not being in control of where you live, etc. We have to incentive people to join, and a 20 year retirement is one of those incentives that keeps us with enough volunteers we don't have to draft people.

I don't get any credit for recruiting people on this forum, I just genuinely believe the Air Force (and military) is AWESOME!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
In the Navy we have a saying: "Choose your rate, chose your fate".

If you do not like what you are doing, then maybe you should not have volunteered to be doing it.

I served on Active Duty in a different era, mostly during the Cold War. In a community where qualified crewmen are sought after and better paid. As an E-5 I earned enough that I was able to buy a Triplex [3 separate houses on a single parcel] in Southern California. Then at my next duty station while still an E-5 I bought a Five-plex [a single structure divided into 5 separate apartments]. Then at my next duty station, just as I put on E-6 I bought another Triplex [this time a single structure with 3 apartments]. Then at my next duty station I bought a Four-plex.

In the process of retiring we sold three of our properties, consolidating down to only one apartment building. That we planned on operating in retirement.

I know my Net Worth when I reached my HYT at 20 years because a group of us figured it out. I was impressed by how much it was, given that I was only an E6.

Our SRB was bumped a lot the year I retired. My SRB levels peaked at around $60k and I never got the 'pro-pay' like the nucs get.

I can not complain about the money.

When I served it was possible to select a community where you could get paid more. Where paying into Income Taxation was an oddity. Where you could invest and accumulate a respectable Net Worth.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:55 PM

12,404 posts, read 9,195,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
I was surprised how US military are so under payed.
I was about to go Army after high school but went to college instead.

in 6 years after high school you can complete a BA or even Masters degree and take civil service exam making same salary or even more.
Military has housing benefits etc. but you can stay with your parents until 24 which is normal and go free state school. Yes US college is not expensive its a myth! you can work part time (+scholarships) graduate with no debt. I did it.
you serve 6 years and your back to square one with no college education and low pay civilian forever, who wants to college at 28 your already behind!
Once you become a veteran you'll be revered by everybody and get enormous added government benefits, and everybody will think society owes you a lot. Plus getting a federal government job will be easy. You'll even have a day named after you.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,229,768 times
Default Underpayed,

With an education like yours I don't think they'd accept you anyhow. They are not underpayed they are underpaid.
Not only are there housing benefits, the is medical insurance and a pension with a COLA clause. Eldest son enlisted for 7 years and is earning far above what his old school mates are earning with their engineering degrees and indebtedness. Many times more, really. Due to highly valuable technical training received in the military.
Go ahead use your stategy, maybe you will be well enumerated and well payed with a degree from where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
I was surprised how US military are so under payed.
I was about to go Army after high school but went to college instead.

in 6 years after high school you can complete a BA or even Masters degree and take civil service exam making same salary or even more.
Military has housing benefits etc. but you can stay with your parents until 24 which is normal and go free state school. Yes US college is not expensive its a myth! you can work part time (+scholarships) graduate with no debt. I did it.
you serve 6 years and your back to square one with no college education and low pay civilian forever, who wants to college at 28 your already behind!

Old 07-25-2016, 08:43 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,490,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm enlisted and I make $75,000 a year.
I make more money than a single person I went to high school with, that I'm aware of anyway.
Low performing class if that's the top.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:34 AM

274 posts, read 157,421 times
I agree with other posters. Enlistment in the Armed Forces is rarely, if ever, about the money.

When I was 17 I was the stereotypical "young man without a plan".

All five services had a recruiting office on the same floor of a building on Tremont Street in Boston. The Coast Guard recruiter was the first office at the top of the stairs, so I went in there. Four years active and five years reserve later, I got on with my life. But I treasure the experience and wouldn't change any of it. I'm proud to be an "Honorably Discharged Veteran".

Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 AM

4,316 posts, read 2,148,130 times
Quote:
Thanks Georgia!

There are a lot of down sides, like moving, uprooting kids, not being in control of where you live, etc. We have to incentive people to join, and a 20 year retirement is one of those incentives that keeps us with enough volunteers we don't have to draft people.

I don't get any credit for recruiting people on this forum, I just genuinely believe the Air Force (and military) is AWESOME!!
Your 2nd paragraph said a lot.
If the military sets high standards for recruits to meet and still are able to fill their quotas w/o reverting to a draft.....................then I would say their pay scale is not scaring away qualified recruits

Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
... Eldest son enlisted for 7 years and is earning far above what his old school mates are earning with their engineering degrees and indebtedness. Many times more, really. Due to highly valuable technical training received in the military.
The only highschool reunion I have attended was my 25th reunion.

In a graduating class of 700+ only a small handful of us [4 or 5 %] had gotten away from the hometown, lived in other states / over seas.

Some of them had impressive job titles, some had really expensive clothing, nice cars, etc. I was surprised that none of them really had a 'trophy wife'. Just a couple of them had seriously high paying jobs.

I was the only person there who had already gotten a pension.

A group of guys were comparing their investment strategies / portfolios, I kept my mouth shut and listened. In all of their bragging, my net worth topped them.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:38 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,458,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Low performing class if that's the top.
When I graduated from high school the dream was to make $10k/year.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 AM

1,542 posts, read 817,120 times
Quote:
Thanks Georgia!

This is a big downside. My son who is 8 has lived in 7 different houses and gone to 4 different schools. One good thing about all of that though is that kids learn to make friends pretty easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or