U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 AM

563 posts, read 527,519 times

Advertisements

I was surprised how US military are so under payed.
I was about to go Army after high school but went to college instead.

in 6 years after high school you can complete a BA or even Masters degree and take civil service exam making same salary or even more.
Military has housing benefits etc. but you can stay with your parents until 24 which is normal and go free state school. Yes US college is not expensive its a myth! you can work part time (+scholarships) graduate with no debt. I did it.
you serve 6 years and your back to square one with no college education and low pay civilian forever, who wants to college at 28 your already behind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 11:08 AM

25,215 posts, read 41,214,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post

in 6 years after high school you can complete a BA or even Masters degree and take civil service exam making same salary or even more.
Military has housing benefits etc. but you can stay with your parents until 24 which is normal and go free state school. Yes US college is not expensive its a myth! you can work part time (+scholarships) graduate with no debt. I did it.
you serve 6 years and your back to square one with no college education and low pay civilian forever, who wants to college at 28 your already behind!
I started drawing Military retirement pay at age 42.

My wife says I have drawn about $702,000 retirement pay since I retired from the U.S. Army.

I had a second carrier. Which boosted my income.

I finally quit working at age 52... I just kick around doing some volunteer work.

All my medical bills are pretty much all paid for, even after I retired.

The lowest ranking person in the U.S. Military starts drawing $1566.90 per month basic pay, After two years and if they still do not get promoted it goes to $1,756.50.

Pay charts: Military Pay Charts

My four years of college was paid for while I was in...

They get paid for meals and are provided housing.

ACTIVE DUTY ENLISTMENT BONUS - Qualified active duty Army recruits may be eligible for up to $40,000 in bonuses: Military Bonuses: Learn About Army Bonuses | goarmy.com Some services may offer more, I do not know...

So go for your dream world of living with your parents until you are 24 and applying for civil service jobs after you get your degree.

There are many options...

Quote:
but you can stay with your parents until 24 which is normal
I just remembered when I was 29 my mother came and lived with us (me, my wife, two kids) for a few months while we were stationed in Germany... And she came and lived with us later when we lived in Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Mexico also.

Good luck to you nycnyc11209.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-24-2016 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 11:10 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,600,779 times
When I joined I got $247/month, after deductions and taxes.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,937,458 times
When I joined the Air Force, the pay was $83.00 a month.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:33 AM

4,532 posts, read 6,607,715 times
I didn't join for the money.

I got to travel the world for free! I got to go places and see things I would never have been able to enjoy otherwise. I climbed to the top of Mt Vesuvious and exploring Pompeii was a childhood dream. I lived in Puerto Rico and enjoyed sitting on the beach in shorts on new years day. I have been launched off of and landed on an aircraft carrier. I have had many helo rides. Once with the door pinned open so I could take pictures while we were flying. I met wonderful people everywhere I went.

That's why I joined.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:34 AM

5,504 posts, read 8,835,247 times
I was in the Marine corps reserve and one of the reasons I joined was to get a little discipline and direction in life. They don't teach the stuff I learned at Parris Island at any college I ever attended. Would not have done it any differently. I went to college after boot camp and a few months at Camp LeJeune. Made some extra cash every month being in the reserves.

My cousin's son recently joined the Navy and was assigned to the Navy Nuclear Program. He recently joined the fleet after a year or more (I am not sure how long it took) of training. Do you think he might have some great opportunities after his enlistment contract is up? I believe he would do much better than most college grads. If he decides to stay in the bonus is huge.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:36 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,600,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I was in the Marine corps reserve and one of the reasons I joined was to get a little discipline and direction in life. They don't teach the stuff I learned at Parris Island at any college I ever attended. Would not have done it any differently. I went to college after boot camp and a few months at Camp LeJeune. Made some extra cash every month being in the reserves.

My cousin's son recently joined the Navy and was assigned to the Navy Nuclear Program. He recently joined the fleet after a year or more (I am not sure how long it took) of training. Do you think he might have some great opportunities after his enlistment contract is up? I believe he would do much better than most college grads. If he decides to stay in the bonus is huge.
He could get a job at the Janjira Nuclear Plant.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:38 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,832,143 times
I'm enlisted and I make $75,000 a year. I don't believe I would have ever been this high of an earner without enlisting. I would have likely ended up in a job that pays less.

I have never paid a dime for college (working on a Master's degree). I joined at age 17, and have gotten my education while in. OP, why do you assume we don't go to college while enlisted?
I have never paid a dime for medical care (including braces and vision correction surgery).
Half my income is non-taxed.
I have a great deal of life insurance for myself and my family.
I still have an unused GI bill that will pay for one of my children to go to college, for free, with money for room and board included in the GI Bill. Does your employer pay for your child's college?
I have a retirement that I'll begin collecting at 38 years old, that I never contributed a penny to, and it's worth about $2,500,000 dollars if I live to be mid-80s, no accounting for inflation and COLA adjustments... and I never contributed a single cent. How does your retirement work?
I will get health insurance for the rest of my life.
I get free legal services, a free gym and pool on base, and discounted shopping.
I have an untold amount of extra benefits that are too numerous to describe.
I make more money than a single person I went to high school with, that I'm aware of anyway.
My husband is also enlisted. Together, we are in the top 10 percent of household incomes in the country, and we're barely in our 30s, and have had a very easy life. We each work just 35 hours a week!

I'm not following how this is a bad deal?

Last edited by dmarie123; 07-24-2016 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 12:48 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,565,499 times
Quote:

Was a bad decision for me personally, but looking back, they came to me at a baby's age (16), promised the world. And when you're a dreary environment, young, get promises, wanna goto college, and just want out of the house, the money & benefits on paper look good. I put my middle finger up now every time I see a recruitment commercial. Glad I was able to re-adjust after the fact.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:34 PM

4,455 posts, read 2,855,846 times
Quote:

TL;DR it's not that great, but it's not that awful either.

28 to get a bachelors degree isn't that late even by today's standards. For other degrees like law or an MBA... it may be. For more professional stuff like physical sciences and medicine... perhaps even more so. Those who serve will get to use the Montgomery GI bill and Army/Navy College fund to help pay for college. AFAIK, they get anywhere form $15K to $30K per year.

Even though college is affordable with planning, it's still a nice boon to have somebody else foot a lot of the bills. Less debt for you to worry about.

Military folks also get certain benefits like military discounts, use of military facilities, etc. where available. Some of the things you learn in the military can lead to more military jobs. I've seen several cases where they're doing stuff directly related to the military, and their prior experience is a big boon. Some of it can apply to civilian work that's not government nor military contract related. And even if you don't have this, companies tend to like to use military folks as a sort of "political football"/"diversity points" to help their quotas. Military folks tend to have favorable work ethics too.

The most important thing I could think up of is you should be joining the military because you want to! Not just because of all the benefits and sign on bonuses! They genuinely like the type of work, or they feel a higher sense of patriotism towards their country. I've ran into several military folks who left because after so many years to a decade, they didn't like where things were heading, or didn't sooner than later, but stuck out a few more years to make fulfillments, obligations, and/or benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or