Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:45 AM

6 posts, read 7,367 times

Advertisements

So after almost three years of thinking, and re-thinking, and re-thinking my re-thinking, I've finally decided to join the Air Force! I couldn't be more excited, I'm eager to get the process going and start this new chapter of my life. I just have a few questions I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer for me

What are the best jobs to obtain that will transfer well into civilian life, or just good jobs in general to aim for? If you have specifics, that'd be great. When I hear "Intell" and I go to look at all the different jobs in Intell my brain goes a little haywire.

Although I have good credit, I have a collections debt that I tried to dispute but couldn't get it taken off from my credit. The recruiter I talked to let me know that I'll have to get a waiver for that, and due to having that waiver I won't be able to choose my job. Does anybody know how much truth there is to that? Does that mean I would go in open general or would the AF give me absolutely no choice of jobs and will pick one for me?

As I mentioned, I'm eager to join. I've been been thinking about joining for three years so I'm ready to go like, now.. I know everyone's case is different but could I get the whole process done and shipped out within five months?

Best West Coast duty stations? I know the Dream Sheet is sometimes just that, a dream. But I'd like to put down all the good West Coast spots in hopes that they'll send my husband and I to one of those.

Thanks in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Amy,

I'm an Air Force recruiter, but I provide honest answers because I don't get any credit for recruiting you, obviously.

Please don't get obsessed about jobs. You have no idea what you quality for. Getting your heart set on a job now is not the best move. Find out what you qualify for. To qualify for intel you do have to have a Top Secret clearance, and the collections account can prevent that in some cases, so we won't want to take the chance. To be a fire fighter you have to lift 100lbs at MEPS, to be Air Traffic Control you have to pass color vision, etc. You don't even have your ASVAB scores yet, am I correct?

The waiver for credit does prevent you from picking your job in most recruiting areas. That's up to the discretion of the commander who signs his/her name on your waiver to allow you to join, even though you are disqualified. My commander requires that you take any job, and won't even let you list job preferences as a condition of the waiver. It does not mean you'll have to go in "open general," it means you go in with whatever job we need. It might be open general, it might be fuels, it might be mechanic, it might be plumber. But, you will get in. You can retrain at your 35 month mark, and may even be able to get a higher clearance by then. Jobs are not life sentences.

You can easily get shipped out in 5 months if you have your documents, and we're not spending a month waiting on your diploma, another month on medical records, etc.

Pretty much all of our jobs transfer to civilian life, in one way or another. All of our jobs are done on bases by contractors, with very few exceptions, and many of us find those type of jobs after life in the AF. Also, you learn leadership skills, and manage people eventually, which translates well onto resumes.

No one can tell you what job you'd like, as we don't know you. Some people love being aircraft mechanics (translates well), and some hate it.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Thank you for all the info! I'm definitely not setting my heart on a job. I was actually planning on going in open general, but I figured I should get an idea of which jobs are good to aim for in case they're on my list. Although, seeing as that won't even be an option because of my waiver really sucks. Is there *anything* I can do to get around that? I want to join th AF badly, but I don't want to not have any say at all in regards to what job I'm going to have. I know people who have been stuck with military jobs that they didn't want, and in the end it caused them to have a bad experience and come out bitter from it all- I definitely don't want that. I know you say I can retrain at 35 months, but I highly doubt that's a guarantee, am I right?

Old 08-02-2016, 03:39 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
And I got stuck with a job I didn't want yet I ended up loving what I did, had a great career, and obtained civilian employment so easily

So agree with dmarie be open at this point

Old 08-02-2016, 06:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Don't forget what the ASVAB is: Armed Service Vocational APTITUDE Battery (Like a Battery of Tests). There are things out there you have no idea you're good at. That's really the purpose of the ASVAB. Not just to make sure your scores are "high enough". You'll learn where your strengths are.

Not all jobs translate well to the civilian world, in my opinion. I was an ejection seat mechanic. THERE's a glaring example! But I enjoyed it. I loved all of my military time.

Try to stay positive. Be a good team member. Do your best. Enjoy the ride!

(all AF bases are good)

Old 08-02-2016, 06:59 PM

Theoldnorthstate, I thought I was being pretty open when I decided I would go in Open General. Having no say in your job whatsoever is a whole different story. I'm glad to hear that you ended up liking your job, it gives me a glimmer of hope, but that's not to say that I'll have the same luck. What job did you end up with if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:05 PM

Hunterseat, touché! I'll be taking my ASVAB in two weeks so I'll find out then exactly what my strength hs and weaknesses are. I'm really trying to stay positive, but I tend to get hung up on details and overthink things, which is terrible I know. I want to join so badly, but now I have to figure out if I'm still willing to enlist regardless of the fact that I won't be able to choose my job. I spoke to a recruiter yesterday and she said all the AF is really looking for right now is Mechanics and Special Forces... I would hate to get one of those! It's a tough decision for sure.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:14 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
I was a new WAC officer. At that time women were being integrated into the regular army and did mostly office type work. Quartermaster, finance, adjutant general and some intel officers. With my class they added other specialties.

I wanted and expected AG (personnel) but was assigned as an Armament Materiel Officer. I didn't even know how to hold a screwdriver but I came into the Logistics field in pure happenstance. And loved it from day one.

Years later I was assigned as a battalion adjutant responsible for personnel and hated it. So glad I was not assigned AG branch.

Just saying sometimes things work out surprisingly well in an unexpected way.

Good luck however it goes

Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Amy,

I'm an Air Force recruiter, but I provide honest answers because I don't get any credit for recruiting you, obviously.
I don't think that came out the way you meant it???

So you're only providing the honest answers because you don't get any credit for recruiting her? If you got credit for her your answers would be different (not honest)?

To the OP, dmarie is correct...if you want to join the Air Force, especially with a waiver, you need to make joining the Air Force your priority and forget about getting the perfect job. Most that enlist in the Air Force today don't get the exact job they want and have to settle for what the Air Force assigns them. You needing a waiver makes it less likely you'll have the opportunity to pick a job you want. Take whatever job you're offered and make the best of it and your time in the Air Force.

If you want more say in the job you get...pick a different service.

Source = I was a Navy Recruiting Supervisor for 15 years.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
No LBTRS, that's not what I mean. People put their guard up around recruiters, and often think we have a hidden motive. Even if we're ALWAYS honest, people often assume we're not, because it's our job. I was simply trying to reassure her that I had no incentive to "recruit" her, and was a recruiter so I was knowledgeable, but I wasn't "recruiting" her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues